10"W tire on a 6"W rim?

fireball

Explorer
Greetings all,

I'm wondering if it is a bad idea to mount a 10"W tire on a 6"W rim.

I just bought a BJ74 Land Cruiser and want to run the OEM 16x6" wheels with 255/85/16 Mud terrains.

BFG recommends a 6.5-8"w rim. The tire is 10"w.

Any thoughts on if this will cause problems?

Thanks!

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Hi Ben, it will be absolutely fine. Lots of tires that width out there on Land Rover 5.5" wheels. You won't be able to tell any difference over having it on a 6.5" wheel.

Expedition Leader
I run 10.5" tires on my stock 15" steel wheels that are only 5.5" wide. Perfectly safe at any sane speed. Driven them all over the western U.S.

fireball

Explorer
Adam, et al,

Many thanks for the responses. Looks like the old AMEX card will see another thousand dollar hit today! New tires here we come!

gwittman

Adventurer
It is safe to run wide tires on narrow rims but over time you might get some unusual wear on them. I ran 11.5" wide tires on my 7" wide wheels and after about 25K miles I notice uneven wear like cupping on the MT blocks. The 'cupping' eventual became non-uniform around the tire and cause a vibration that could not be corrected by balancing. They still worked great off-road but not much fun at highway speeds.
It may have been the brand of tire that cause the unusual wear but I think the tire/wheel width mismatch contributed. They were Procomp MT tires.

Scoutpappa

Keep in mind that most if not all of the big box tire stores will not mount tires with an excess width of 2" over the rim width. I.E. Discount will only mount a 10.50 on a 8" wheel and a 12.50 on a 10" wheel. So...support your local small business owner.

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind that most if not all of the big box tire stores will not mount tires with an excess width of 2" over the rim width. I.E. Discount will only mount a 10.50 on a 8" wheel and a 12.50 on a 10" wheel. So...support your local small business owner.

Depends on the store and the locale I guess; Discount Tire mounted mine (10.5 on 5.5 rims) without batting an eye.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Depends on the store and the locale I guess; Discount Tire mounted mine (10.5 on 5.5 rims) without batting an eye.
Same here, my Discount didn't question putting 33x10.50 on Toyota factory 15x6 rims (which I now run with 30x9.50).

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Wide tires on a narrow rim tend to stay on better at low pressures, but can result in excess tread wear in the center of the tire. Pay close attention to tire pressure, and do some testing to determine proper pressure.
Tom

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's fine. Even preferred.

I'm running 295/70 r17 Cooper STT's on stock F350 XL wheels. (7.5"?) Just take it easy and test the setup carefully.

derjack

Adventurer
Greetings all,

I'm wondering if it is a bad idea to mount a 10"W tire on a 6"W rim.

I just bought a BJ74 Land Cruiser and want to run the OEM 16x6" wheels with 255/85/16 Mud terrains.

BFG recommends a 6.5-8"w rim. The tire is 10"w.

Any thoughts on if this will cause problems?

Thanks!

Hi,

there is exactly ONE Person who can tell you if it's a good or bad idea: The manufactory! Every manufactory has the SPECIFIC DETAIL for every tire! e.g. mine are general grabber 315/75-16 AT2 and these are allowed to mount on 8", BFGs ATs are NOT.

Do not count on unspecific commends,

btw: Width is only relative, the taller the tire the narrower the rim.

rayra

Expedition Leader
It is safe to run wide tires on narrow rims but over time you might get some unusual wear on them. I ran 11.5" wide tires on my 7" wide wheels and after about 25K miles I notice uneven wear like cupping on the MT blocks. The 'cupping' eventual became non-uniform around the tire and cause a vibration that could not be corrected by balancing. They still worked great off-road but not much fun at highway speeds.
It may have been the brand of tire that cause the unusual wear but I think the tire/wheel width mismatch contributed. They were Procomp MT tires.

That is usually / predominantly weak shocks and play in your suspension joints and steering that have that start to form and once formed, get rapidly worse. No/Low-cost way to defeat it or hold it off is frequent tire rotations. And re-balancing as the wear increases. And get busy on the mechanical maintenance to eliminate that play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94