Battling head light glare in our beloved Subarus

GregSplett

Adventurer
I have been using Subaru wagons for years as my primary Steel head fishing rig.I love them to a fault.

I went a season with out one and last Tuesday I did the maiden voyage for River Rat #3.The oncoming headlight glare was beyond challenging at times.By the time I got to Lake Cresent I was a nervous wreck.I actually cut the trip a little short to avoid driving home in the dark.

My question is,am I the only one?And if not, what tricks might there be out there to alleviate this?Brighter headlights on the Soob?
Anything you subaru lovers can share would be much appreciated.

dragonbyu

Observer
I have the same issue with my 2002 Forester. It is especially bad during rain. Part of my issue is that my windshield is badly pitted and scratched.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Keep a very clean window, and buy some driving glasses that help reduce glare. Other than that, try and educate folks on aiming their lights properly, and not drive everywhere with their fogs on. I usually just avoid driving at night due to the increase in morons in lifted trucks.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Part of my issue is that my windshield is badly pitted and scratched.

This makes SUCH a huge issue. Back when I was part of my local Miata club, we used to do club days where we'd have a glass installer come out and do six or ten cars at a time. The Miatae are particularly vulnerable being so low, we'd catch a lot of rocks and headlights, so windshield replacement became a periodic maintenance thing.

If cleaning your windscreen isn't sufficient, then it's probably the scratches and pitting that's causing a big part of the glare. If your car has the OEM windshield and is more than ~eight years old, I'd make inquiries about whether your insurance will help offset a new one. (Mine covers partially as a safety issue)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Low quality replacement windows by cheap subaru owners. Very common. Old windows with lots of chips also common. You may want to get your eyes checked this could be a health issue also. Never had a problem with glare in my subarus. You need a new window or your eyes checked.

tin

Observer
Sometimes I drive with glasses that have polarised lenses, yep sunglasses in the dark:) Windshield condition is super important too. And vision problems DON'T create glare!

GregSplett

Adventurer
Low quality replacement windows by cheap subaru owners. Very common. Old windows with lots of chips also common. You may want to get your eyes checked this could be a health issue also. Never had a problem with glare in my subarus. You need a new window or your eyes checked.

I am getting my eyes checked next week.I have been driving Subaru wagons for twenty years.the glare issue has always been there but just seems that it is a bit overwhelming in this one.

The original owner used it to haul his kayaks around.Bonus with that was that it came with a Thule roof rack,the minus is that there are scratches on the inside of the front window and the drivers side window from the sandy kayak paddles.when you say cheap window replacement are meaning I should only deal with the Subaru dealer?I have replaced the window in my 08 F150 three times and the auto glass companies charge me around 150.00 more for the Ford window that has the F150 sun screen etched into it.I would think that there would be ase requirements on the aftermarket window glass?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Typically there are three window grades used in the auto window glass biz. OEM quality supplier grade is best. Yes the lowere grade glass is dramatically worse regarding glare. Do not use a dealer. Look up the best rated glass shop the good ones install at your location. Tell them you want OEM quality glass. They source the glass from the same supplier the dealer does but at half the cost. Just went through this with a SLK 350. Dealer wanted $1200. Exact same glass minus the mercedes benz sticker which costs $35 was $420 installed my a very skilled tech at our house. My Land cruiser windshield was lousy finally replaced it with oem quality. Glass guy looked up the one I was replacing. It wasnt oem grade and it was bottom rung quality which explained why it was bad with glare and had so much pitting and visible flaws. The new OEM quality window was lightyears superior. Like the difference between looking through dirty glasses and no glasses.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I have an envelope with glass replacement savings in it. I think mine is low quality, or original from 1998...

GregSplett

Adventurer
Thanks for the quick class,calicamper I will look into it.I have dealt with both dealers in our area and to be honest I do not have a whole lot of confidence in them as far as there salesmanship goes.Too pushy and basically scoffed at me for wanting the ford window.I am guessing there is less profit for them in the ford glass.

I just drove it to staples to buy some Graph paper to draw out my new chuck box and another thought hit me.The Subaru is a first gen legacy and it is white.I am wondering if the long white hood has something to do with the increased glare?My EA81 was maroon and my EA82DSCN1074.jpg was blue.I think I see a flat green paint job in the future.

Good window is crucial. Also, are your headlights hazy? My 06 Impreza has projector beams, and it has no glare problem at all. You might want to buff out/replace the lights.

D

Deleted member 13060

A good clean window is essential but even in my FJ I get a lot of glare these days.....

#1 Problem - Dumb-a@@ people doing LED or HID bulb conversions on cars/trucks that were not designed for them. As a side note. HID conversions on cars/trucks that didn't come with them from the factory is illegal on a federal level.

#2 Problem - Lifted trucks and SUV's that didn't get the headlights adjusted post lift.

#3 Problem - The "Fast and the Furious" crowd. We have a local guy (one of many driving Honda's, Hyundai's, Subbies etc with modded lights) with an STI who has Rigid style lights in the grill, a 50W HID conversion in the headlights and a Rigid style single row bar in the lower grill opening. You want to talk about glare.................

I have a pair of yellow shooting glasses on the dash that I wear in town or at dusk to help with this...

YMMV RON

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz