2001 7.3 4" Ujoint to Overland America's Adventure Vehicle

Thanks Randall!

We went with the ARB 2500 Awning and the brackets from Van Specialties. The brackets are a little pricey but they do not require drilling holes in the van, they sandwich to the rain gutter (z style). They are the best option, I've seen many photos of stress fractures in the van walls from the awning mounts that required drilling. The awnings tend to flex quite a bit resulting in stress transfer to the van. Since the awning spans all of the passenger side doors adding bracing to evenly distribute the stress transfer seems impossible. We bought two sets of the brackets, had an idea for a paddle holder on the driver's side we're probably scrapping, I'll try to take a couple photos of how they work.

With our pop top, the Penthouse gasket was getting snagged by the awning bracket bolts. We reversed them and used Acorn nuts to protect the awning fabric just in case it ever makes contact. We also switched the awning mounting bolts to M6x12MM instead of having to trim them down, the pop top could catch the excess so it's a good precaution. The only trick with the shorter awning mounting bolts is to shim them with a small screwdriver to get the nuts started.

We knew we wanted a bag awning so we narrowed it down to CVT and ARB. The ARB is a little more expensive but it also extends a little longer into camp. The ARB add on accessories, screen room etc, are cheaper so it would be a wash if you were already planning on some of that. The extra length is why we chose it.

Hope that helps.

-John

Randall Dee

Huge Member
We knew we wanted a bag awning so we narrowed it down to CVT and ARB. The ARB is a little more expensive but it also extends a little longer into camp. The ARB add on accessories, screen room etc, are cheaper so it would be a wash if you were already planning on some of that. The extra length is why we chose it.

Hope that helps.

-John

Thanks for the reply John. I finally figured out you had the ARB. I'm finding the opposite on the pricing. I found the ARB 2500 for $289 shipped and the CVT for $325 + shipping direct from CVT. I'm headed over to Bend next weekend so I could save on the shipping if I wanted the CVT. But they look pretty identical except for the color of the zippered storage bag.

I'm in Portland so I could drive to VS and pick up the brackets, but for the price of them, I may just mount it with the "L" brackets to my Yakima racks since I don't have a pop top.

That's great news on the price, goes to show how things change. The CVT is roughly 8x7, the ARB 8x8. That and the bag color are the only differences, I've read they might be manufactured by the same company. 86Scotty has the CVT awning and ARB room, it's not an exact fit due to the difference in dimensions. Mounting it to a rack is a great option, we're limited with the Penthouse. Black would have fit our overall appearance better but that extra foot makes a difference when crammed under it to escape the rain, our opinion anyway.

-John

Back at it after a small break... dry fitting the majority of the major pieces
DSC_4685-L.jpg

DSC_4679-L.jpg

There will be two stacked aluminum under body storage boxes on the platform next to the couch placed flush to the aisle. We'll be building additional storage behind them like in VWs. A bit of extra space will be at the back of the van between the boxes and the end of the platform. Probably some vertical or horizontal storage of things like hiking poles, tri-pod etc... We ordered some bungee tension retainers but I just remembered a cool PVC storage solution we saw at Expo East in an awesome 4x4 Ambo. The retainers could be used to secure our bins in the kitchenette. We've hit the most fun part of the build, 59 days until we start our trip so we gotta keep pounding it.

-John

Down to the last of it. Wanna get almost all of it done by the end of the month. We previously purchased most of the pieces, under truck boxes are in the living room with the flooring, just need to start bolting it in then move on to the 10001 little details.

Flooring and electrical completed:
DSC_4720-L.jpg

Storage and Outdoor Table:
DSC_0121-L.jpg

DSC_0030-L.jpg

DSC_0177-L.jpg

DSC_0145-L.jpg

Blog entries detailing our recent progress are on our website. I'm working on an electrical explanation entry and hope to have it completed soon.

RyanUsesThis

Observer
I have the part # for that window of you need it.

Could I get that part # from you? I emailed SMB Texas about getting one and they said 'we only install what we sell'. Can't justify a trip from Denver to Texas for a window :p

John and Mandi - I've been following your blog for a few months. Great info all around. Very inspirational. I really like how you did the wall panels in the van. Keep it up!!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Could I get that part # from you? I emailed SMB Texas about getting one and they said 'we only install what we sell'. Can't justify a trip from Denver to Texas for a window :p

John and Mandi - I've been following your blog for a few months. Great info all around. Very inspirational. I really like how you did the wall panels in the van. Keep it up!!

CR Laurence FW904RS

RyanUsesThis

Observer
My plan is to get my van up and running over the next couple years (with lots of 1 and 2 week adventures to test the waters) so that I can eventually go full mobile with the Fam. The ultimate goal is to 'RoadSchool' the kids, and my first destination would be Alaska, then pan-america down to the tip of Chile. I'll be watching your progress closely :)

My plan is to get my van up and running over the next couple years (with lots of 1 and 2 week adventures to test the waters) so that I can eventually go full mobile with the Fam. The ultimate goal is to 'RoadSchool' the kids, and my first destination would be Alaska, then pan-america down to the tip of Chile. I'll be watching your progress closely :)

Big thumbs up! Can't wait to follow you guys.

-John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior