Automatic or selectable locker for front axle?

burt

Observer
yes, with the hubs unlocked you will not sense the locker. it will definitely work like that with a spool in the front but that would be a very irritating way to 4x to me. id much rather have an open front than an auto or full time locked front. Selectable or nothing. I use arb front very regularly but usually only for short spurts to get through the tough spots. I dont know about how hard on stuff using an auto locker with 1 hub locked would be but it probably depends on the design of the particular locker. i have a auto locker on my samurai crawler with no power steering and as bad as it sucks a lot of the time I never get out to unlock 1 hub. I modded the t case to have 2 low which i use alot

WILLD420

Observer
If you are running hubs, you can get away with a full time locker in the front a little easier. Unlocking one hub ensures you can turn and eliminates some of the driveability issues, but the vehicle will pull to that side a little due to the extra drag on only one wheel. Locking both hubs but leaving the t-case in 2wd will result in some ratcheting from the front, but no driveability issues most of the time. A posi will have issues even in 2wd. The clutches don't care if there is power to the driveline or not, they hold the same regardless.

I've had a Powr-Lok in the front of my ramcharger for several years. I like it, but it is a pain on ice and slick surfaces with the hubs locked in. It also takes a lot of effort to steer with the hubs locked. If I engage 4wd, it almost makes it drive better, since the front tires are pulling, not just being pushed. I had a Lock-Rite in the front of a single cab F250 for years. Aside from times when there was power going to the front tires, it was barely noticeable until you put power to the rig and it started pulling with the front tires. Putting it in 2wd eliminated most of the issues, on everything except super slick ice. Part of my success was having a diesel, with a big bumper on it and running 255/85/16 front tires. They had a lot of ground pressure, so they would force the locker to ratchet, rather than slip on most surfaces. A lighter rig, with bigger tires may not have as good of luck.

I like ARB's I have one in my other rig, but haven't used it yet. The only problem with a selectable, is that you have to remember to turn it on, and you have to disengage it when you want to start turning sharp, or you will have issues. I don't agree with the name of a selectable locker, I prefer to call them selectable spools, because when you lock them in, there is no differentiation in the wheels at all. A locker ratchets and lets the outside wheel go faster, thus allowing steering if the surface doesn't require wheelspin on the inner wheel.

superbuickguy

Explorer
it's not quite as bad as that, but it's issue isn't the "I can unlock a hub"... when you find out you need to unlock a hub is when you're going up a hill and rather than going straight up, the nose starts to follow the hill - to the point if you go too far, you'll roll. limited slips and selectables don't have that issue because either a) it is never fully locked so one tire acts as a drag to keep you from sliding, or b) you can turn off the locker and use the same principle to keep from sliding. With that said, sometimes there's no saving with or without a traction device in the front.

I'll say it again to emphasize it, I use the rear locker a lot, I use the front locker very rarely... and despite that, I'm putting a loc-rite in the front of my FJ40... but it's what I need given how I wheel - and that decision is made after decades of wheeling with about every type of locker and 4x4 there is.... but it's still personal preference (also - this is being built for snow travel mostly.... lockers are not optional there).

BushHead

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies guys... I mostly explore solo with the wife and kids to find new places for them to play, so most of my wheeling is mild because I do not want to get stuck. I was thinking the lockers would be a nice "in case of bad decision" insurance policy that I would hopefully never use and wouldn't interfere with the mostly paved driving.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I love the the way you describe the "in case of a bad decision" insurance policy. I love to go off roading, but have such a long, heavy truck, on smallish 35" tires, I don't do it very often. My plan for the truck is normal travel, and back country exploration, but pretty capable "in case of a bad decision." I view my air lockers in much the same way, as that's how they get used. Sometimes, after traveling some distance on an easy part, I find out I'm on a trail I probably shouldn't have went down. I have the ability to hit a couple of switches and be fully locked. I only need use them for a few seconds/minutes at a time, and they are invisible on the road when not engaged. If you are getting a locker on a street driven vehicle, I am a big fan of the selectable locker.

superbuickguy

Explorer
ummm.... a bad decision is running a rig with anything but open differentials if you don't know how to wheel. I know that sounds pretty blunt, but hear me out. You need to know how to drive your rig in off-road places before you start buying equipment that will get you further away from help before (at best) stranding you, and at worst killing you.

This is, however, a pretty easy situation to remedy. Join a 4x4 club, hook up with your local expo group, or take a class at a rally or from any one of a bunch of off-road instructors. In flying, you must learn how to fly a single engine fixed-wing, then you can get your multi-engine, helicopter, jet, and passenger jet certifications - but it all starts with a 35 hp Piper cub. Don't get the jet until you know how to fly the cub - I know it seems not-so-extreme, but living to see another day is important.

BushHead

Adventurer
I agree, but I'm fine, I've been doing this for about 22 or so years, just use extra caution now with the kids in tow. No more rock crawling for me but would like the extra security for those times when mistakes do happen. I'm old enough now that when in doubt I back out. Just wasn't exactly sure how the lockers would work with my manual hubs and the exact effects of locking one hub at a time, used a detroit in the rear in my old jeep back in the day so I know how they feel on the road. In the end I'll probably leave them both open on the X, its really all I need for what I do now.

chaos616

Adventurer
I say automatic...i know, i know don't have a panic attack too quickly. I am running a 14 bff front and rear differential (yes front as well) and they both have the G80 locker. They work quite well in both situations. I would say the only advantage to selectable from my experience with this setup so far would be in sand. The automatics have to spin just a little to lock up, so in sand that tire that spins will sink in just a bit, otherwise its fine.

The automatics are nice and safe, as well as better than both open and selectable diffs, in snowy situations as well. Today i was up the beach (south padre island) and we went all the way to the north of the island, there is a jetty up there for the inlet. We decided to drive the trucks up the sand bank (shallow but soft sand) and onto the large cut rocks, going over the large rocks, the one tire would get some pressure on it, not even spin, and would lock up and go over rock ledges at least 12" high if not a bit higher. I know this isn't and end all test, but its a good test so far.

Anywho...cheers,

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
My experience with detroit lockers is that they are always locked and only unlock when they bind. Drove my 67 El Camino with a Detroit on the street for years. It would make a hell of a noise when it unlocked. A good locker in the rear can go almost anywhere out west. If you need the front locked, chances are you are pushing into risky territory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94