iPad mini on sale at Best Buy

haven

Expedition Leader
Some people prefer the smaller iPad Mini (7.9 inch screen) for in-vehicle use. The standard iPad screen (9.7 inches) is a bit large.

Weakening sales of tablets in general has prompted Best Buy to put the iPad Mini 2 on sale. These are the cheapest prices I've seen on the second generation iPad mini.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/ipad-mini-2-offer-134643

The iPad Mini is available with 16 GB up to 128 GB of storage memory. Since the Mini has no slot for storage expansion, you'll need to buy a model with enough memory to hold offline maps. You need to buy a model with cellular modem to receive GPS signals.

haven

Expedition Leader
If you'd prefer an Android tablet, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 with 8.4 inch screen and 16 GB RAM costs about $350. The WiFi model includes a GPS receiver, and all Galaxy Tab models have a memory expansion slot.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
If you'd prefer an Android tablet, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 with 8.4 inch screen and 16 GB RAM costs about $350. The WiFi model includes a GPS receiver, and all Galaxy Tab models have a memory expansion slot.

I picked up a Kindle HDX 7" (64GB / Wifi / 4G) for $160. When you load KitKat in place of the stock amazon-ized ROM it become a very nice, cost effective small android tablet.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If you.prefer android. Pick up a le pan mini. I am enjoying mine very much. 100 bucks gets you to the party.

afbond03

Adventurer
If anyone is looking to buy one I have a movers code that can be used online for an additional 10% savings, so brings it down to $225...just shoot me a PM for it.

kojackJKU

Then you have to buy a GPS unit as well correct? And I think the inexpensive ones from.ebay do not work?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The cellular enabled iPads have built in GPS.

Yeah it's not whether you get it from ebay, it's whether it is a 3G/4G unit or just plain wifi.

Even though I don't have cell service on my iPad I bought a 3G/4G one (used, from ebay). I've never got an iPad from ebay that didn't look basically brand new.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Then your paying even more money for them. that's what im getting at. Its very expensive for something that you can get for less that a c note elsewhere.

It depends on what your expectation levels are.

Buying a minimum spec is fine if the device does what you want and only what you want.

A $100 tablet isn't going to have the processor speed, video processing capability or screen resolution of a higher end tablet. That may or may not matter depending on the intended usage. In the Android space a $100 tablet may not even allow you to install all software available in the Play store.

Longevity might be an issue as well. I wouldn't buy any Android tablet that didn't come with Lillipop/5.0 at this point. v4.0 was a fine OS but it is now "old". Again, that may or not matter.

kojackJKU

My 100 dollar tablet is just as fast if not faster than my son's ipad mini. The OS is non issue. The IOS system is non changed since its inception. so 4.2 is fine on my tablet. the screen resolution is not that big a deal either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles