will this fender mount work?

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
That antenna would probably fit on the bracket you had before, with the 3/8" hole drilled out to fit the UHF connector.

But if you can fabricate enough to weld something on a bracket, I'd get an NMO antenna, and and an NMO mount. An NMO mount just needs a hole about 7/8 or so in diameter (3/4"?) with enough metal around it for the antenna to screw down on it, maybe 1.5" or so - guessing. That's the most common mount for VHF/UHF mobile ham radio, and almost all commercial radios that are VHF high band or higher. Take a look at a police car or most taxis, and they'll have those mounts.

Anyway, with 2m, if you have the NMO electrically well attached to a bracket where there is a more or less straight path of 18" or more in one or more directions, then you should be OK. Ideally it would be in the middle of a flat metal roof, but I think a steel or aluminum cross-member of a roof rack would be fine. And just my 2 cents, but for 2m, assuming you have some kind of a ground on the mount, higher is more important than other considerations for it working well. And past 18" or so isn't going to buy you much, in my opinion. The "dB gain" figures that the manufacturers brag about should be taken with a *huge* grain of salt...as in, don't pay any attention to them at all. Hope this helps and I'm not being to rambly...has been a long day. :)

Texan1983

Adventurer
Thanks help!

Ill probably end up going with the fender mount and that last antenna I asked about. the roof rack has too many issues right now. It's mounted on a fiberglass topper and I don't want to deal with grounding it.

That and im building this setup for two trucks and the other truck is possibly losing it's roof rack for a roof tent. so im going to put fender mounts on both trucks for simplicity...

Thanks again for all the help!

jwhutch

Observer
Sorry, if you were asking this of me. I think it came from the antenna farm. It is the vehicle specific hood, or cowl mount. The older Rams, the mount is flat. Mine is an '11, so it has these crazy bends in it. I have a MaxRad 1/4 wave with a spring, and the TM-281. I am using the same radio, and essentially the same mount, for my Jeep TJ. The antenna on the TJ is a Larsen NMO-2/70 dual band antenna, because that's what I happened to have. I don't have a VHF watt meter, so I am not 100% sure of the SWR, but I get great signal reports into the repeater and on simplex from a pretty good distance. The low power on that radio is like, 25 watts, so that helps. I never take it off low power though.

Texan1983

Adventurer
Well I just ordered two Kenwood single band radios the antenna farm fender mounts with cable, and two Larsen 2/70B nmo mount antennas. Excited to get on the air

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Cool plan...I think it'll be great, and you'll have fun with it, too. A lot of the pickup truck sized command vehicles the fire departments use around here have fender mount nmo's. Probably so they can get them in standard sized garages and parking garages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz