Building a possible Tacoma. Have some questions.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Been tinkering in the back of my mind of maybe getting rid of the Jeep and maybe building a Tacoma....only as long as the wife doesn't give me greif.

My question mainly has to with the TRD packages they have. Is it worth getting the off road package since it comes with the rear locker and better shocks only to lift it with either ARB lift or another brand? or just get a standard model and then modify it to my liking?

Now I'm not looking to build some extreme off road rig. I just like the idea of having the locker included just cuz it's already there. So wondering if there are other features that are worth it in the off road package.

I've done a little research on the Tacomas so I don't know a lot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kayak Taco

I'd say if you find the truck you want with it, go for it. For mild wheeling, you probably won't put in an ARB, but it'd be nice to have the factory locker if it's already there. Also IMHO, the TRD sport/offroad seats are way more comfortable than the base/sr5 seats.
If buying used, I'd prioritize mileage and condition over TRD pkg, but looking at two otherwise equal trucks, go TRD.

Paddy

Adventurer
Most guys say get the lower model and mod it. Cheaper and better in long run. The E lock axle is not as strong as the 8.4" and the suspension isn't all that much better than stock, and if you're lifting then might as well put what you want on.

itshanney

I would go with the standard SR5 and mod it as you wish. If you know that you're going to run a pretty stock truck, then obviously get the TRD Off-Road package. But if you know you're basically going to rip out the suspension and add your own, then forget the TRD model as you're going to add better stuff than what's there. The e-locker is nice, but who cares when you can add an air locker.

This is all void if you do find a killer deal on a TRD Off-Road truck that meets your budget criteria.

skates04

Adventurer
The TRD has a few things, One of them being the A-Trac on the newer models that is basically an electronic traction control for off roading using abs to send power away from a slipping wheel. Better seats, factory e-locker, and a power outlet in the back which a lot will say is kind of worthless but, I have used it a few times. The suspension is better but if you lift it it will get replaced anyways. If the truck is newer you can sell the TRD suspension for a couple hundred bucks if your patient. I nearly bought a 2012, and then realized I could get a brand new truck for just a little more. The re-sale value seems to be even better than the JK.

I am a former JKU Owner and I am really enjoying my Tacoma. My JK on 35s was overkill and the Tacoma is very capable and in my opinion is much more comfortable on the trail.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I am a former JKU Owner and I am really enjoying my Tacoma. My JK on 35s was overkill and the Tacoma is very capable and in my opinion is much more comfortable on the trail.

I'm glad to read that myself. I sure know a lot of guys who recently sold their JK (including myself) to buy a Tacoma. Got tired of all the maintenance and it was really overkill for MOST of what I did with it.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Thanks guys for the info. I do like the interiors of the TRD packages. I'm not sure if it matters but I have a tear drop trailer too that I'll be towing and not sure if the TRD models offer a better towing set up or if all of the Tacomas come with a tow package standard.

I love my JKU but it does come down to comfort. Now that I have a baby with me and would like my wife and kid to come out more and I think the Tacoma would be more comfortable. I don't do anything wild when it comes to going out and exoloring.

I appreciate the input and I'll keep researching. Thanks!

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
For a family I think the tacoma would be a perfect vehicle, jeeps are kinda an atv with heat in my mind. I did this research for my father a year ago. He wanted a long bed and was going to be hauling a 4wheel camper, so the trd offroad was out as it only comes in short bed. The trd sport was the best package from what I could tell it comes short or long, it gave you all the options you want, such as tow package (separate tranny cooler),130amp alternator, nice interior, inverter which really is to small for much but its there. Also you get the 17" wheels vs 16 that is more personal preference but I do like some of the TRD wheel offerings in 17's and more manufacturers are going to the 17 so more tire options. Rear bumper and door handles, and mirrors painted to match with hood scoop. Me personally, I dont like the painted to match crap and hood scoop, just give me black plastic it does not scratch. plus the bigger 8.4diff but no locker. As far as the shock package I would not pay much attention to especially if you plan on replacing. I may of missed some things but back then I was pretty convinced this was the package for my dad. With all that we decided on a tundra for him, just because he also tows an RZR with his truck and 4wheel camper so the tacoma would of been a little taxed. Personally, if you are towing a trailer I would recommend a short bed with a canopy, unless you are thinking a camper, but I'm convinced a short-bed with a light trailer is more versatile then a long-bed and camper.:)

Well for me I discovered the tacoma in 2006 and left the half ton world. I don't think I will ever go back. I went with the off-road because I wanted the rear locker back then and of course the tow-package, etc. There is a lot of talk on the 8" diff vs the 8.4" I have 125k on mine and I do over-maintain my equipment and I don't abuse my truck, I have had no problems. I try to stay away from tires hopping and using excess momentum up things and I never bought a tacoma to rock-crawl more to just continue doing the things I have done in the back-country since a kid, For the things I do, my tacoma has gone all the places the jeeps go and at the end I have all my goodies on board with hot and cold water etc.:) I find keeping the family happy is a lot about what you have at camp, with the tacoma you can bring it:) The tacoma is a good in-between it gives you, the dad, what you want off-road and can support the family at the same time. Of course this is only for tacoma's up to 2015.
Cameron.

Last edited:

DVexile

Adventurer
Almost every V6 Tacoma made has the tow package on it (which includes higher amp alternator, transmission cooler, wired trailer connector, receiver hitch). As for price if you ever think you will tow anything ever just get the tow package, it is one of the most economical options - it is like $600. People who have gotten a truck with out it and tried to add the wiring for a trailer have told me they would have paid the $600 just for the pre-wired and installed harness :)

In my opinion the only way to save money compared to the TRD OR is to go all the way down to the base model.

The price delta between the SR5 and the TRD OR is only $1500. For that you get A-TRAC and DAC (which also means a more robust brake booster and more space under the hood as the other models have a ridiculous separate hydraulic ABS system on one side of the engine compartment while the OR has it all integrated in the brake booster), a rear locker, nicer seats, a weak skid plate. You also get nicer tires and nicer suspension, both of which you will of course remove but you can sell the tires used for about $300 and the suspension for about $400. To my mind the TRD OR vs SR5 is a very cost effective upgrade - even when replacing suspension and tires.

Now, if you go one further and just get the "convenience package" instead of the SR5 now the price difference to the TRD OR is $3300.

So if you want the features of the SR5 I say go for the TRD OR. If you are just trying to get the most capable truck at the lowest price skip SR5 and TRD OR altogether and go for the base model.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It's true the standard axle is stronger than the locked one. But it's a little misleading since we're not talking the difference between a Dana 30 and Dana 60 or anything. The ring gear is 8" in both axles, the difference is the ring has 12 bolts instead of 10. Also the pinion shaft is a little larger and the bearing caps are better. It's best to think of it as the latest evolution of the mini truck axle. Given a choice for a raw axle starting point you should of course select the 8.25"/8.4".

However, I have owned both ARB Air Lockers and the factory e-locker and I prefer the electric, which means the original 8" axle since Toyota has never made a 8.25"/8.4" axle locker. The 8" is the same axle Toyota has used for 30 or more years and there is a lot known about it, so no one should feel it's a disadvantage. It's the V6 diff with some enhancement to accommodate the shift motor. There are many, many 8" diffs that have been abused for a long time, it's a good axle.

The problem is the 2nd gen Tacoma has gained weight compared to the original Hilux, Pickup and 4Runner and has also gained a lot more powerful engine. But guys have run Toyotas with supercharged 3.4L V6s and even small blocks successfully, so it can be done. Just stay within reason on the GVWR and be mindful of the skinny pedal. With the rear locked the axle is plenty tough, so don't hesitate to lock and be smooth. This is actually a plus on the new Tacoma, the extra weight and nice, cushy suspension makes it easier to walk through stuff instead of bounce.

My feeling is the TRD Off Road is an OK upgrade as DVexille explains. I think the Sport is useless, all the flash and doesn't have the main performance upgrade in the locker. I don't like the non-functional scoop at all.

It should be mentioned that not all TRD OR trucks have all the features. Depends on year, transmission and other factors. My 2008 is an Access Cab with a 6 speed and doesn't have A-TRAC or VSC, for example. The stability control requires an auto transmission I believe.

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
The Off-Road package is definitely worth the money. If you look for a slightly used 2013-2014 OR, you cannot add it's features going aftermarket for anywhere near the price premium. Make sure the tow package is factory installed and not "dealer installed". That way you get the higher tow rating, HD charging system and 7-pin adapter.

millerfish

Adventurer
For me the ATRAC and DAC were worth the extra money. There is no history of the lesser 8 bolt dif is an issue unless you are doing some heavy wheeling. IMO the e locker is pretty dependable I don't like the idea of separate air system to go bad with the air locker.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I agree on the sport being pretty much useless. At least in the dclb, no locker or atrac. Basically an appearance package and you get stuck with a stupid fake hood scoop and 17" wheels. Although everyone says the seats are better. I notice the sr5 had a fold flat front passenger seat. I don't know if the sport does but actually like the idea. When my daughter is forward facing and mom isn't with us, I could fold the seat down and she can see and communicate on trips.
Spec'd the way I'm looking, there is $1000 premium for the sport vs sr5 with the same options. Maybe you could make a few bucks from the lame hood and cheap bilsteins to help cover the difference I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz