Which air compressor?

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Trying to make some last minute decisions on items to equip the FG. I need to get an air compressor, but pretty sure I don't want to spend $750 on one. Am I kidding myself even looking at less than that? Which ones have you guys used with success?

Mark

daveh

Adventurer
Overland Journal just awarded the value award in an air compressor shootout to the Viair 400p-a.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Looking into this as well as I need a reliable and fast way to go from about 40 to 90 psi.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I went with the ARB twin, but haven't had it long enough to really test it out. Reviews, though, like it, except for the cost.

blackduck

Explorer
a common unit comes in a variety of brands is a winch motor backed up to a compressor
hook this up to an ally 20L (1gal) tank and a couple of outlets and youve got endless air without the need to run power leads all over the place
I maintain 160psi in the tank its good for everything
apart from pumping up tyres etc i also run a 3/4" drive rattle gun for taking the wheels off

battery box.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have had Extreme Outback setups on a few vehicles and it is all I will ever own again.
Great units that run at 100% all day without blinking and put out gobs of air.
Plus the service from the folks that own the company is out of this world.

redneck44

Adventurer
After looking at all the options, I'm in the middle of fitting an air con pump system - cheap, bomb proof, high cfm, 100% duty cycle and easy to build (on a Land Rover).

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I have the ARB twin also and love it so far, very small, built very well, pretty quiet, and 6.2 cfm 150 psi. Hi amp though.

j

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The problem, as I see it, is that there is nothing on the market that I would consider as having a half decent capacity.
I have a modified Sanden engine mounted compressor on my truck and that is meant to put out about 8-10CFM (no load). That is about double any of the electric compressors out there, but I still do not think it is all that great.
Big tyres take a lot of air to fill them up and spending 30 minutes re-inflating your tyres after a trip on sand is not my idea of well spent time.
Unfortunately, I have never found anything better, other than a rotary screw compressor system that could output 40CFM, but that was priced at over $15K, plus fitting. As much as I would like that system, I could not justify the price.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have the extreme outback. The only issue I have had is getting it up to high pressure at altitude (so it just runs and runs). I use it to power my air seats and for shop air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GR8ADV

Explorer
I have the extreme outback. The only issue I have had is getting it up to high pressure at altitude (so it just runs and runs). I use it to power my air seats and for shop air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have 19.5's don't you? How long does it take to go from 40 to 90?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94