Quality and Budget Coolers

Another tip, use two smaller coolers. One for drinks and snacks, that you will probably open more frequently. Put perishables in the other cooler and dont open it.

There is a thread on here somewhere about stuff that does not need refridgeration. We Americans, tend to be a little alarmist about keeping food cold.

Also, on longer trips we just take less meat, instead of a bigger cooler. For the most part meat is the biggest issue. Besides we probably eat too much of it anyway, its not an adventure without a little suffering!

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
I thought about two seperate coolers, and I expect too. One for beer and the other for food. I would like to have a smaller cooler for beer, maybe something that will hold a 12 pack. And then a larger cooler on top of a future drawer system for the cargo area. I would like to try and keep water in water jugs instead of a cooler. But i'm not sure yet. I saw somewhere on this forum of a Coleman Extreme, with fancy colors mounted on a slide on a drawer system. But didn't know if that was the best cooler for my application.

TXLX

Observer
^I have the same cooler, but 25 years old. Still in one piece and been all over the US several times. I bought a Coleman extreme recently to haul back some meat on a flight, seems like a decent cooler for the money and gets my vote for budget cooler. Also have a 165 quart igloo, it does well when it's fully loaded and packed with ice, but is large.

If you have access to power, portable fridge is the ticket.

peneumbra

Explorer
I'm really happy with my 50-quart Canyon Cooler. I was able to get one of the older, more upright models with a smaller footprint for $200.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Since this thread has been resurrected from the dead, here is a new crop of budget priced rotomolded coolers that test well against Yeti and their other high priced brethren:

Walmart Ozark Trail High Performance Coolers
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-26-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey/49229405
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-52-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey/49229404
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-73-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey/49229408

See: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...il-quot-High-Performance-quot-cooler-any-good

80-20160402_122557_50a17b6c3d93f6c24440f91fd26862bce5c50d8b.jpg

These sell out quickly - One needs to stay on top of inventory/availability to get one.

I have the 26-qt. version, which fits the available space in my Xterra and performs as advertised (which is much better than the similarly sized Igloo marine cooler it replaced).

In my Xterra:
IMG_0535.JPG

Someone else's Xterra with the 26-qt. Ozark Trail High Performance Cooler and similarly sized Igloo marine cooler:
015ac34f79210cdf83bae8c0f491bcb7.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Coleman extreme gets my vote. Ice lasts almost as long as a Yeti and 1/10 the cost. You could have some hinge failures etc for that amount of money. Or buy 3 for more food capacity.

wagex

Adventurer
I have a Coleman Extreme that I use to keep my water from freezing during winter camping. It's been hauled all over north America for 7 years and still looks good.

Coleman extreme gets my vote. Ice lasts almost as long as a Yeti and 1/10 the cost. You could have some hinge failures etc for that amount of money. Or buy 3 for more food capacity.

yep i usually put two 8lbs bags of ice in each of mine and when i get home after 3 days of camping i usually still have 10lbs of ice i dump in the back yard from each. they sell stainless hinges online for like $10 ish for them too.

Westy

Adventurer
This is a good statement. The amount of food we have saved from spoiling, getting soggy, etc by owning a fridge is remarkable. It's become such an asset in our travels. Leftovers from a trip are so easy to deal with and store for later use.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Coleman Xtreme
I have a 52 and 70 qt, we've used them on 3-4 day Jeep trips for last few years. The KY TN WV PA weather they do great.

Less than $100 in both from Walmart.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
yep i usually put two 8lbs bags of ice in each of mine and when i get home after 3 days of camping i usually still have 10lbs of ice i dump in the back yard from each. they sell stainless hinges online for like $10 ish for them too.
I ditched my fridge in favor of a new Ozark Trails 52 the other day. Wasn't justified ---- only keeping beer cool.
The Coleman only kept ice for 3 days on a long roadtrip. Hoping the OT will last for 5 or so. We're never in one spot longer than that, don't eat meat so don't have the threat of meat spoilage, and was able to remove one of the batteries and lighten tongue weight.

Still keeping my Coleman for grocery store runs in the Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior