Quality and Budget Coolers

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
I tried the search function, I failed.

I am looking for a new cooler to replace a 15/20 year old Igloo that doesn't really hold ice any more. I do NOT have 800 or 900 dollars to spend on a fridge, so that's out the window. Neither do I have 250 dollars to spend on a 15-25 Qt. Yeti, Mammoth, Esky cooler. Are there any coolers out there that get the job done (hold ice for 3 days or so of mild Virginia weather) and don't break the bank. I would be looking for something in the 25-50 Qt. range for a weekend outing. While being bear proof is pretty dagon cool it's not really a requirement. I do however want it to be pretty stout. I does have to fit in the back of a Jeep Cherokee.

And go!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
For best results use dry ice or freeze 1/2 gallon bottles full of water, that will keep the food from getting soggy.

straps57

Observer
I use multiple coolers. I have a an Igloo 70qt that is for beverages. This cooler gets opened and closed frequently so I expect the ice to melt since I am constantly letting warm air in. I keep my food in the simple styrofoam coolers that omaha steaks come in. Meals are pre packed and set in order so I rarely open them and loose hardly any ice after 3 days of +80 degree temps. An extra styrofoam cooler just for ice is used to replentish the igloo. I would pick them up out of recycle bins when I was working for free.

Biggunns

My super cheap solution has been a igloo wheelie cooler from Walmart with a 2 inch styrofoam plug that fits just under the lid. Last summer this lasted me 4 days (2 days in my non AC FJ60) in AZ at well over 100 degrees. When I started the trip I filled it with the food and a big bag of ice, when the trip was over I still had plenty of ice in the cooler.
Not bad for under $30.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423550700.375285.jpg

Ryan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Go to your local West Marine type store and check out the Igloo marine coolers. They seem to be the best inexpensive coolers. If you want to get close to Yeti quality for less then these are great and they have the bigger one on sale as well. http://downriverequip.com/shop-products/?id=6667 As far as not being able to aford a fridge then you can't afford all the ice and rotten food not having one will cost you over the next 15 years. I forgot mine in the van over a week ago. All the food was still 33 degrees running off a solar roof panel. They are the best bargain in the long run. I can also come home late on Sunday and plug it into the house. I don't need to unload it for a week. It's a time and money saver and makes dealing with the food so much better that you will hit the road on a moments notice more often. No more planning food. Just grab the crap in your home fridge and go.

jessejman

Adventurer
I used one of these for 57 days on a TAT trip. It was great, still is great and can be used for so many other things. In the high western temps and opening it a lot we would need ice every two/three days pushing it.

http://engel-coolers.com/product/engel-30-qt-coolerdry-box/

30qt-white.jpg

MrWesson

Adventurer
I agree with the igloo marine cooler as I have one in my boat and it lasts quite awhile in the Florida sun and on a boat exposed to the sun.

It will not however come close to performing like a Yeti or anything near it.

You could buy a large cooler and put a smaller cooler inside or modify one with Styrofoam. I have spent some time around boatbuilding and that pretty much sums up built in boat coolers(fiberglass + spray in insulation/foam/Styrofoam.

fullybalanced

Too many plans, not enough time
My super cheap solution has been a igloo wheelie cooler from Walmart with a 2 inch styrofoam plug that fits just under the lid. Last summer this lasted me 4 days (2 days in my non AC FJ60) in AZ at well over 100 degrees. When I started the trip I filled it with the food and a big bag of ice, when the trip was over I still had plenty of ice in the cooler.
Not bad for under $30.
View attachment 270345

this one actually works pretty good... It's not my Yeti, but neither is the price!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have a Coleman Extreme that I use to keep my water from freezing during winter camping. It's been hauled all over north America for 7 years and still looks good.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
x3 Igloo marine. It's a plastic box with a foam lining. No rocket science involved or needed...don't over think it. For keeping things cold longest, make your own blocks of ice out of half gallon milk containers.

whatever cooler you use, you can fill the void in the top of the cooler with expanding foam. I think its called "great stuff" at the hardware store. Obviously keep it out of the sun. Pack your sleaping bags and clothes around it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior