Range Rover classic to buy or not

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have always liked the look of these rigs and what they can do. I'm looking for a good family rig for light trails dunes and some camping duties. I have a big super duty for towing and my big trips. Mostly just a daily driver and light offroad rig.

I honestly don't know much about the. I can work on just about anything. So the odd quirky nature of them appeals to me.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have never seen a vehicle that can range so far in price

They are transitioning to a collectible/ classic car, so the really clean ones are being snapped up. The difficulty with the RRC is finding clean, complete interiors. Those parts are hard to find.

Mechanically, they are still easy enough to keep on the road.

Just be sure to invest a little more at the purchase, getting a lower mileage, well-maintained truck. We made the mistake of buying a rare model several years ago, but one that needed a bunch of work- just not feasible to restore those clapped out ones. Then we found a beautiful 1995 LWB with only 80,000 miles. Made all the difference.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I am going to look at one in 2 weeks for cheap that has a beautiful interior butv a bad motor as a parts rig. To support the much nicer one I want as a driver. But at 500 dollars and just needs head gaskets I can't pass the parts up. I want to find a clean one in the 5-10 bracket preferably with a winch and lower miles.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Drivetrain & suspension parts are common with contemporary Discovery 1s. I have never had a problem finding anything in the drivetrain. Things I have had trouble finding recent were ignition and headlight switches, although I eventually did.

JackW

Explorer
Drivetrain & suspension parts are common with contemporary Discovery 1s. I have never had a problem finding anything in the drivetrain. Things I have had trouble finding recent were ignition and headlight switches, although I eventually did.

The headlight switch from a mid-70's MGB is a direct replacement - it costs less than half of the comparable Range Rover switch and is very readily available.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I am still looking for the one. I don't want a project I have plenty of those ( ih scouts). It is hard to find a clean rover that is all there. I know a used rig will need attention. I have a pretty decent parts rig in Montana my father in law found but it has electronic issues I'm told.

James86004

Expedition Leader
The headlight switch from a mid-70's MGB is a direct replacement - it costs less than half of the comparable Range Rover switch and is very readily available.

I used to own a 74 MGB, the switch was pretty different, a rocker rather than a toggle. Still, it might fit in the hole and be wire compatible. I still have bad memories in the car of turning my lights on and off on the freeway at night to signal to a semi that it was safe to merge, except the switch failed and the lights would not come back on. I got light by pulling back on the headlight flash lever, enough to get me off the freeway where I could hardwire the headlights on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz