Super Raptor

shellb

Adventurer
There is a ton of win in this thread! Makes me a proud Ford owner, ha!

Thank you for posting...really look forward to following along.

CodyY - your truck is awesome as well. Seriously one of my favorite LB7's. You should have a build thread too!

klr2mato

Observer
It's getting a FASS system and no I haven't seen theirs but I'll check it out. So far I have the rear diff built and put in and I'm working on the front now. All the new springs are in. Onward!

klr2mato

Observer
Been awhile since I have posted but things are moving. Slowly but they are moving. The rear end is done and in. The front end is another story. Seems like it's fighting me. First I didn't get the pinion bearings. Then I had to wait for a puller to get the carrier brgs off so I could adjust it. Now I have to wait for a crush sleeve to set the pinion brg pre-load. If it's not one thing it's another but it WILL get done. The engine is coming along. The crank, rods and pistons are in and the head is done and on. I am waiting on the new Colt Cams camshaft then injectors and a fuel pump. A few other odds and ends and that will be done. Next up is the transmission and transfer case. The trans will be about $3600 so it will be a little while. When that is done it will go on the engine and installation will begin.
One step at a time.

underdrive

jackwagon
KLR, why do you need a crush sleeve for the front axle? Older Danas used a solid spacer and shims, did they walk away from that design in favor of the horrible (but cheaper and faster to install at the factory) crush sleeve? We go above and beyond trying to remove the crush sleeves from anything we own (or for that matter get to work on), there's no excuse for running that inferior setup in a fullsize truck - the spacer and shims may take a bit longer to get right, but once there they stay there, and down the road you can take the yoke off to replace a leaky seal on the side of the road even and you'll know she'll still have the proper preload.

Also what puller did you use for the carrier bearings? That $400+ super kit with all the collets and collars that can pull virtually any carrier bearing as many times as needed without destroying it?

thethePete

Explorer
You really seem to know your stuff, and this is a beautiful rig, but I just wanted to chime in on the lift pump comment:

We've had great success with the Air Dog lift pumps, I've installed one in 3 different Cummins applications, one of which was a 2004 Fummins F250 with a 2013 Cummins in it. All 3 saw huge performance from it. Both 'stock' installs saw significant fuel mileage increases and massive performance increases while towing. One of the 3 trucks hauls a 10-place horse trailer and they said they've never seen the mileage they got post-install while towing the trailer. They're not a small investment, but then again, none of this is.

They have great external filtering, and HUGE supply lines. Not at all afilliated, but after 3 successful installs, I'm a pretty big fan.

http://www.pureflowairdog.com/

* Just noticed your comment about it getting a FASS set up. Looks fairly comparible. No personal experience with them, but I can't see them being any different. Will leave my post for posterity.

klr2mato

Observer
Underdrive,
Yes they went away from the shim style probably because as you say it's cheaper. This age range truck (99-2002) has a Dana 50 in the front (I really wish it was a 60) and a 10.5 inch Ford Sterling rear diff. Both have crush sleeves. The 50 front has one that is about 2 and 1/4 inches long and yes they are not as good as the shim style setup. I think someone makes a conversion that removes the crush sleeve and replaces it with and heavy hardned sleeve and shims but I'm not sure. I didn't find out about that until I had both diffs rebuilt. As for the carrier brgs I bought a cheap Harbor Freight puller set and modified the largest bearing splitter to work. Not perfect but it got the job done pretty well.

thethePete,
I guess after 17 years as a journeyman diesel mechanic in the heavy truck repair industry I know SOME stuff. After 3 years of school I spent a three year apprenticeship at Cummins Oregon Diesel in Portland then another 13 years at a few heavy truck repair and trucking companys so I learned just about all I needed about repairs and modifications then. I have been out of that industry for a LONG time and I finally enjoy working on my own stuff again. As for the fuel system I have just started to hear about Air Dog pumps and I'm impressed. I was considering one when I read your post here. I may just go with that it sounds really good. I intend to put a Blue Chip diesel FMS box in this so I will need a good pump and THEY say the same thing you did about Air Dog.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm a 6.7 owner at the moment, but have owned many 12 valves and a 5.9 common rail. I have to say that the most fun to drive Cummins I ever drove was a 24v with a NV5600. It was awesome, but had been an Oregon logging truck so was pretty beat. I'd bet you could drive around town with 10 gallons of water in the box and not lose a drop! Too many hard miles with hoe buckets in the back I guess. Love where your truck is headed!

Off topic but is the "La Providencia" taco truck still there by the feed store on the north side of Tillamook? They make some of the best pastor tacos I've had north of the Mexican border!

image.jpg1_zpslw1372ko.jpg

Last edited:

thethePete

Explorer
Oh I could tell you had a few years under your belt. ;) The work of a professional always shows; I love watching fellow pros do their thing. Can't wait to see this back together, and I'm glad I could be of some small amount of help with the AirDog suggestion. :)

underdrive

jackwagon
Underdrive,
Yes they went away from the shim style probably because as you say it's cheaper. This age range truck (99-2002) has a Dana 50 in the front (I really wish it was a 60) and a 10.5 inch Ford Sterling rear diff. Both have crush sleeves. The 50 front has one that is about 2 and 1/4 inches long and yes they are not as good as the shim style setup. I think someone makes a conversion that removes the crush sleeve and replaces it with and heavy hardned sleeve and shims but I'm not sure. I didn't find out about that until I had both diffs rebuilt. As for the carrier brgs I bought a cheap Harbor Freight puller set and modified the largest bearing splitter to work. Not perfect but it got the job done pretty well.
The Sterlings have always had crush sleeves in them. The early ones had some problems with the crush sleeve crushing too much on its own under a lot of hard engine braking causing the yoke to loosen and wear the splines, and how did they fix it? They redesigned the pinion and yoke for longer splines! So let's not address the real problem, but make sure that once it does show up it won't do as much damage... Typical Ford logic there! And yes, there are conversion kits out there, they are not for the Sterlings per se but they do work good - we use the ones for 9" Ford axles, they only require minor chamfering on one end of the spacer and then they fit perfect. If you did the axles yourself then installing one such kit at least in the Sterling will be easy for you. The Danas are more of a pain cause of all the work you need to do to pull the axle shafts out, but on a full-float rear axle the diff can be out in 15 minutes with just basic hand tools. I would recommend doing the Sterling crush sleeve delete if you'll be putting good power down to the ground courtesy of the Cummins under the hood.

klr2mato

Observer
Thanks guys I appreciate the compliments and confidence. This is a BIG job and it can be intimidating at times. One bite at a time I guess. The diffs are built and in so I guess I'll just go with what I got and if it fails I'll fix it with the delete kit. The engine is almost done and installation will begin soon. So much to do so little time!

underdrive

jackwagon
Yeah, don't worry about the axles, they typically only become a problem if you're hauling big heavy trailers a lot. Focus on the rest of the project, you certainly have your work cut out for you! Also, don't forget we like pretty pictures here! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94