Super Raptor

klr2mato

Observer
OK so while laying under this truck I notice the barest almost non existent little tiny green drop on the RR corner of my engine. I clean EVERYTHING. A few days later you guessed it the dreaded green drop re-appears. I clean even MORE and a few days later there it is again. Not even dripping on the floor just a green drop. Yes it's coolant. After much wringing of hands and bad thoughts I start my search. I am pretty good at finding leaks and I follow the trail up and up and up. Now I'm thinking head gasket. Oh ****! Well I look a little farther and what do I find? A freaking soft plug leaking. I had the head rebuilt in Portland by Central Cylinder Head and THEY replaced all the soft plugs. Well either they didn't replace this one or they screwed it up when they did.
So now I am trying to figure out how to fix this without pulling the engine AGAIN! It's been in and out many times fitting and adapting but I THOUGHT it was in for good this time. There are several inches behind the engine but it is really hard to get to. I'm thinking of trying to get the old plug out and tapping it for an 1/8 inch pipe plug. I REALLY don't want to pull the engine but will if I have to. Any ideas???????????????????

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Pull the engine, do it right.
Loosing that plug entirely on the road could be catastrophic.

As you said, youve always done it a bunch of times, whats one more :elkgrin:

klr2mato

Observer
Yup I agree! It's out on the floor and repaired. That soft plug was so rusty I ended up drilling it out. So I did what Cummins should have done in the first place. Tapped it for a 1/8 inch pipe plug. It won't ever leak again! What a pain in the ***. But like you said better now than in the middle of nowhere on vacation.

klr2mato

Observer
Updates! Well currently it's hurry up and wait. It went to the body shop middle of November and I got at least another week to wait maybe two. It's very hard to just wait. Lots to be done. Still haven't figured out why the horn and RKE system don't work. A couple ideas but I can't fix it till I get it back. THEN the entire interior needs to go in, a console built, finish wiring lights, trans temp gauge and backup camera. Then it's on to the front and rear bumpers. That's gonna take awhile. Install and wire the winch. LED head and tail lights and cab ID lights. So much to be done and all I can do is wait. I've actually driven it twice now and am very pleasantly surprised. It goes strait down the road and seems to run well.IMG_20151115_161520171.jpg

underdrive

jackwagon
Are you waiting on the body shop to start working on it, or to finish what they already started? And yes, waiting sucks.

klr2mato

Observer
Finish what they started. Said it'd take about a month for all the body and paint. Been there for 2 1/2 weeks now. 15 years of dents and dings takes time to fix right I guess. I think the guy doing the work is pretty good and will do it right. Just sucks to wait. Especially when you have devoted every spare minute for the last 10 months to work on it.

underdrive

jackwagon
As long as they keep the original schedule all will be well IMHO. Often happens that once work has started more and more unexpected issues keep popping up that prolong the job to the point where the shop is wondering why the heck they even took on it and the customer is wondering if they don't have a cousin named Vinnie who could possibly provide some extra motivation for the shop folks :D

klr2mato

Observer
Still waiting! About half done. So far 3 months for a two week job. SUCKS I'll tell ya but I live in a small town and aint **** I can do. I have done all the little pieces I can do until I get it back!IMG_20160213_145831573.jpg

klr2mato

Observer
I'm thinking Black instead of blue with red lettering for the logo. The rest of the badges have red lettering. I REALLY want a tattered American flag diagonally waving across the grille from upper L to lower R but not sure I can get that done!

Attachments

• IMG_20160213_145831573.jpg
    IMG_20160213_145831573.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 121

Bojak

Adventurer
Its called body shop jail. Just got released myself. Don't know all the whys of why it takes so long but it always does. It would be better if they just told you up front that it was going to take 2 to 5 months, but if they told people that, their shop would be empty. It will be done.......eventually. Keep the faith.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste