Alpine Window Rust

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I am looking at a Discovery in San Clemente right now and it has some rust holes under the alpine window. The truck is appealing because it has just have the Head gasket brakes done last year and the suspension is just over a year old.
How ever there is this rust. How hard would this be to fix my self or would I want a body shop to look at it.

Nate

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
For got the pics.
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Owner says its the only rust on the truck (yeah right) but I will strip the carpet and por 15ing the floor and putting in Dynamat.

thanks

Nate

robnmandy

Observer
depends it your any good at welding/ fab work and paint or not... give it a go.... make a mess ....hand it to a pro... what you got to loose

Mack73

Adventurer
I guess the real question is: is the cost of the head gaskets, brakes, suspension > than the cost to fix the rust.

Personally I would take a no rust vehicle with questionable parts over a vehicle with rust. That can't be the only place where there's rust.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
That is a pretty common rust area. The other is the passenger floor footwell. The AC condensate drains can become plugged, and it keeps the pad under the carpeting moist.

-Jeff

Colin Hughes

Explorer
If water has been getting in the alpine windows rust spots, it will have run down and rotted the rear cargo floor if it has been happening for awhile. Pull the rear carpet and check it out.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Well the trucks in cal and I'm in Austin. Owners 71 I'm not sure he's going to do that for me and text a photo :). My just skip and keep looking.

A.J.M

Explorer
D1s rot like pears.

That one will likely have a non existent cargo floor left.

I would Echo a poster with the advice of getting a rust free or minimal rust one and go from there as you could be forever chasing rust areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne