The Overland Adventures - Ozark National Forest - Arkansas, USA

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
6 guys, 4 rigs, 3 days in the Ozarks. This was our 3rd trip as a group, but our first time to the Ozark National Forest and our first multi-day "overlanding" trip. We spent a couple months prior to the trip planning our route, gathering and testing equipment, and modifying our rigs in hopes of making the trip go as smooth as possible. Luckily our planning and preparation paid off and we successfully executed a trip to remember and learned many lessons which will be applied to future trips.

We did 80 miles of the 140 mile long "High Water Mark" track, that Jayston from Overland Guild (http://overlandguild.org/) provided us with. This is a BEAUTIFUL area with lots of good elevation change, clean and clear creeks and rivers, waterfalls, and caves. Exploration of this area is limitless and it will take years to see it all. The trail wasn't too difficult, mostly rock and compacted dirt trails; but choose your lines carefully, because a bad choice on an unassuming mud puddle might land you stranded in something much deeper than it appears.

Our trip started near Jerusalem, wound around 80 miles north and west through the OZNF, and ended near Sand Gap on Highway 123. Our trip took place on the next to last weekend in October, during peak fall foliage, and planning it at that time paid off greatly. Snorkels are highly suggested, but not required, as my rig fared just fine (although we ran this trail during a dry spell, so water levels were lower than normal), and walking of water crossings and mud holes is a must.

Last edited:

SmoothLC

Explorer
Nice photos and trip report!

Thanks for sharing.

Especially like the caption that the rigs were "resting" after a hill climb. :sombrero:

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
Nice photos and trip report!

Thanks for sharing.

Especially like the caption that the rigs were "resting" after a hill climb. :sombrero:

Thank you! Yes, my old rig especially needed that rest, she gets tired. haha!

Phenomenal video report. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the compliment! Looking forward to making many more videos in the future.

Yes terrific video, best overland type video I've seen in a long time definitely made me eager to head out.

Great! That's what I like to hear, as that is my hopes for this video and others I will produce in the future, to inspire others to get out there and explore what's around them! I've lived 3 hours from this forest my entire life and never knew of the beauty it beholds until this trip.

tchughes

Observer
Thanks for putting this together and sharing. Great vid and pics. I was out that weekend as well with a group of friends and our routes intersected while Mason was recovering from the "Pit of despair".

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
Thanks for putting this together and sharing. Great vid and pics. I was out that weekend as well with a group of friends and our routes intersected while Mason was recovering from the "Pit of despair".

Thanks for the compliments! I remember you guys passing by as I was driving ahead looking for a camp spot. We'll have to make sure we let you know next time we are over there!

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Thanks so much for sharing this. This forest is on a "bucket list" for me. Looks like a great alternative for those of us Midwesterners to get out somewhere during the long winter here. Has anyone traveled this area in the late February/ March time frame? Is it a muddy mess or does the area stay relatively dry and passable?

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
Thanks so much for sharing this. This forest is on a "bucket list" for me. Looks like a great alternative for those of us Midwesterners to get out somewhere during the long winter here. Has anyone traveled this area in the late February/ March time frame? Is it a muddy mess or does the area stay relatively dry and passable?

From what I understand is only wet during the spring. Our winters are usually relatively dry around here. There have been lots of folks travel these trails in Feb/Mar!

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I'm planning on heading here in June/July of this year, I would love to rack your brain for some local knowledge on trails and spots to camp.

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
Have you guys ever strung this together with a roll through Ouachita National Forest? Would it even be worth it? Im down in Austin, Texas. We were looking at a Spring Break trip up through AR, but we've now decided to delay that, maybe til the end of summer, or perhaps even a Christmas trip. Some brainstorming led us to wonder about linking the two.

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
I'm planning on heading here in June/July of this year, I would love to rack your brain for some local knowledge on trails and spots to camp.

Sounds good, you know where to find me! Just shoot me a PM when you're ready!

Have you guys ever strung this together with a roll through Ouachita National Forest? Would it even be worth it? Im down in Austin, Texas. We were looking at a Spring Break trip up through AR, but we've now decided to delay that, maybe til the end of summer, or perhaps even a Christmas trip. Some brainstorming led us to wonder about linking the two.

We've already done one trip through the Ouachita NF and are doing another next month, but we haven't thought about linking the two forests together in one run, that would take at least a week to do! They are a decent distance apart, but it's definitely not impossible, especially if you've got the time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier