Latest Photo?

JDMark

Got my winch installed, and lift + shocks sorted

IMG_20160716_192641_resized_zps5x4te7dt.jpg

ADROIT

IMG_20160713_202516870.jpg

As she sat when I bought her a week ago in northern Ohio. (spent its whole life In Arizona, very very clean.) I have always loved roof racks and modular gear systems, but It is just so clean I almost don't want to put anything on top right now... maybe that feeling will ware off with time...probably around the same time the paint wares off the sides in the months preceding the fabrication of sliders, tail armor etc.

Clintnz

Observer
Last Saturday we joined in a trip around the normally off limits army training area in the central North Island.

IMG_7576_zpsqyaokffh.jpg

Neat scenery & some challenging driving in places.

Cheers
Clint

dfinn

Adventurer
Inspired by box rocket I went out to the Uintas and connected 2 of my favorite trout streams via dirt roads. Parked here in the dark not totally sure where I was and woke up to some nice views.

28660786462_a23d195014_b.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Latest photo? I don't think so. I have not been a L.C. owner for 30 years, but remember those 5 years (1967-1971) of great trips in my 1966 FJ-40, and 14 years (1971-1985) in my old 1970 FJ-55. The only reason I'm posting this is because there are so few FJ-55's left and so a look at the old days is instructive. How many posts do you see on the FJ55 registry? No registry. Most of them died a premature death at the hands of body rot. The Toyota anti rust frame and body dipping was insufficient around that time. Of course, it didn't help to have more than 1 second of salt water on the body panels: south of Bahia Gonzaga, 1974:

Down the trail to camp near Telluride, Colorado, 1971: One of 5 jeep trailers with the correct lug pattern on the tail.

Down to the frame in quicksand in Salt Creek, Canyonlands, Utah, 1970:

The only remarkable part of this rig was the factory PTO winch. It had a very low capacity (2000 pounds) so I drilled out the shear pin hole to accept 1/4 inch drill rod. We jumped the dunes with this rig and bent the front axle housing requiring a trip to the frame and axle shop with their 40 ton hydraulic tools. The stove bolt six engine had eternal carb problems. Single downdraft; tiny bore. Still, 5000 pound, 4.11 rear axle; 2700 pound, 4.11 front axle. No traction aids of any kind except deflating the tires on sand. I never broke an axle on the Cruisers. All the pix are 30-50 years old, so you may have to squint.

Here's the FJ-55, front view about 1978. 3 inch spring lift that lasted about 3 years before dropping down to the original position. Tomba Burro front bumper with Warn 8000 winch, P.S., AC, 8 inch wheels with ******** Cepek L-78-15 Armstrong Norseman tires in this view. Rattle can paint job. Chevy 307 V-8; Hone 30% Overdrive; rear Power Lok L.S. diff; 4.11 gears; 53 gallon gas tank and up to 6-5 gallon jeep cans. 1968, Con Fer custom made Toyota specific jeep trailer. Braised diamond plate rocker panels to replace the rusted hulks.

This pic has Armstrong Tru Track 11-15 tires and Jeanie's hand made curtains for all around the back. I had a sail maker build a 'tent-boot' that snapped over the down tailgate and opening. We could sleep 2 adults and 2 toddlers in there.. It looked like the back of a stage coach in a John Wayne movie.

one last pic: south of Puertocitos on the Gulf side of Baja circa 1974: we had 3 spare tires along (there's one under the rear on a crank down) and seven flats: 77 gallons of gas; the exhaust stack was for fording.

jefe4x4

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier