Latest Photo?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Epic old Land Cruiser pics and stories Jefe4x4. I really enjoy this kind of thing, thanks!

Cheers

Boss Hog

Observer
Mundo4x4casa

Now THAT's overlanding!

I liked your comment about the FJ55 registry. I agree-so few survived and the remaining ones are either meticulously restored or in some form if repair. In any event, most people are not willing to risk damaging precious and rare sheetmetal. Still, next to the 40, my favorite F-series with strong overlanding capabiities.

My own pig getting hauled off to get floors welded. Hopefullt this will be a true trail rig and not a trailer queen. No snow though-I cant keep fighting the rust monster!
image.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Boss,
Those turn signals on the fenders, if original, make the rig a 1970 or later. '69 had round turn signals. I drove ours about 185K miles, quickly wearing out the original I-6 and replacing it with a Chevy V-8 from a 1971 pickup. My only regret is that I did not replace the transmission. It had 3 on the floor; basically, 3, 2, and 1:1 gearing and the anemic t. case. I went to Advance Adapters in 1972, as they were in Downey at the time, and asked if they could make an adapter for an SM465 to Toyota t. case. The guy there said it would be, "too much low gearing for the drive train." Bull-Puckey. Of course, later, after I got out of the L.C. biz, they sold hundreds of adapters for that lashup. Lunch stop near Guerro Negro. Side awning is out; lawn chairs are out; rear hinged lid cum table, Coleman stove on the rear:

A Cardon to give scale. 1972 near Catavina, Baja. New True Trac 11-15's.

Our FJ40 and matching jeep trailer at Canyonlands, June 1970. The little kid on the right is now 47 years old:

My buddies 1967 FJ40 hardtop in his usual position on the mud flats: we winched him out backwards. 1970

Last edited:

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Mundo,

I'm doing my part to keep the 55s alive.:) Headed up to Wyoming for two weeks with it. I need to build a roof rack with all the camping gear going.

Attachments

• IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 1,059

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Thanks Man,

I'm smiling now too. After 5 years I'm finally getting to use it. We went out to Moab earlier this year and headed to Wyoming for ten days next week. Break it in right!

sharalds

Montana
tumblr_od1chmDbUS1qzxll0o1_1280.jpg

Boss Hog

Observer
"Those turn signals on the fenders, if original, make the rig a 1970 or later. '69 had round turn signals.

Mundo,
I have mismatched turn signals (for now). The one on the left was thrown on since the original was crushed...

MDH33

Observer
PICT0103_zpswnrxj7cb.jpg

I love this picture Mundo4x4Casa. Especially since Salt Creek is only accessible by foot these days. Cool to see a Cruiser in it's element "back in the day". I miss my FJ40's!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior