6 foot, custom aluminum slide in camper for Tacoma

climber-420

Adventurer
Well, I found this on CL the other day, and am first in line. All aluminum, 400lbs, locking door, slide screened windows, etc. NEEDS MAJOR LOVE. Let's get the first hurdle out of the way. No where to store it. I do have a car port, but have a raft trailer in there. WE RENT! Do not own a home. Can't put the camper in the trailer, as the trailer is 6x8. I went and looked at this thing today, and can't stop thinking about all of the possibilities for it. Obviously the Wildernest capper will be cut off, and have some type of aluminum sheet metal rolled out and riveted in. Anywhere in Denver to purchase? I would like to keep the rack, or modify to have one up there, and then install Solar panels. The inside, well, it needs a lot of love. I think first would be cutting out all unnecessary items. Second......insulation party. Get some pieces and cut to fit into the areas that are obvious. I think a small portable chemical toilet would work in there. The weirdest part, is in the 4 corners, close to the floor, you will see some rectangular cut out's, that have a brass hinge. It is for the turn buckles for all 4 corners of the truck in the tie out areas to hold it down. I think this will be the biggest issue. I don't have a welder, and do not know how to weld. Anyone in Denver that can weld aluminum? Just tack all new pieces in those areas? Other than that, I think some LED light strips on the ceiling, and some cushions for the seating area, small table, and a maybe an awning on each side up top and you would be set. Look at the pics and give me some ideas. I have the chance to pick this up on Wednesday. IMG_0648 (2).jpgIMG_0643 (2).jpgIMG_0644 (2).jpgIMG_0634 (2).jpgIMG_0637 (2).jpgIMG_0639 (2).jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
no-no-no ice anyone???

Looks like a giant ice box. My vote is don't touch. will be cold as hell. just FYI=brian

climber-420

Adventurer
Even if I go thru and insulate all the open areas with a closed cell foam with reflective side facing towards the inside (make sense)?

climber-420

Adventurer
The wildernest topper is sealed on there with sprayfoam. There is no tent on the inside. I figured it would be better to have 1 uniform piece of sheet metal all the way across the top.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Looks like it could become a nice camper, with lots of work. It would be nice if it were insulated.

If you do not have a place to store it, where will you work on it? I do not want to discourage you on this project, but it is going to take a lot of work. And having a good place to do that work is a big part of the puzzle.

Keep us updated on the project if you get into it.

climber-420

Adventurer
Looks like it could become a nice camper, with lots of work. It would be nice if it were insulated.

If you do not have a place to store it, where will you work on it? I do not want to discourage you on this project, but it is going to take a lot of work. And having a good place to do that work is a big part of the puzzle.

Keep us updated on the project if you get into it.

Like how much work? What detail? Please help me out as I don't want to make a HUGE mistake here. After measuring, I do have room to keep it on the truck, and pull into our carport to work on it. My daily commute is only 9 miles one way to work, no highways. I was thinking some work would go into, sure. But that's the point right? Find a "project", and make it your own. I kind of want to "Overland" it out a bit. I think some insulation cut to fit into the open spaces, then cover with some 1/8" or 1/4" Luan, new carpet, paint the outside black, maybe white, and you are good to go. Additional accessories would be an awning off the back to cover the entrance, have a small hangout area, I have an extra LED light pod here to hook up on the back for lighting, maybe get a 5 or 10 lb propane tank, mounted on the back instead of the red gas can, have the back door open, and put a small fold down shelf where the gas line can hook up to the stove, which is all covered by the awning in case of bad weather, etc. Get a small chemical toilet for the inside, store under where the bed would go and have close access. Put a couple cushions in for a place to sit and eat, play cards, hang, have a small folding table in between. Maybe I have been on the website for too long. Maybe I have grown tired of getting in and out of the back of the truck on the sleeping platform. Maybe I just let it go to someone else who has big dreams.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Would this live on the taco? If not where are you gonna keep it and with all the stuff you add to it. You want a safe place. It's gonna be heavier once you start adding all the stuff you want to it. I don't see any easy way to unload it?? Otherwise it looks like a fun project for sure. I would get it but I just don't think I need one yet. Climbing in and out of my bed isn't bad yet as my topper is a little taller than the cab. Feels roomy in mine but I didnt do a sleeping platform for this reason.

climber-420

Adventurer
So it has the jacks for all 4 corners, that you can raise and lower out of the bed, that come with the camper. I really don't want it to live on there, but I think it would have too for the first few weeks, maybe month until I get it all kitted out. Realistically, my biggest concern is the suspension. I have an 04', manual, with 108,000 on it. The rear leafs have seen better days. The rear shocks haven't been changed. I am going to go and put the camper on the truck today, and just see what I think, and maybe drive around the owner's neighborhood, and see how everything looks. Not sure how the engine will far going over all the passes around here with that thing on the back, but it only weighs 400lbs(or so the owner says). 2 people, a dog, and then gear, it all adds up quick. Still less than the GVWR I believe.

Goober

Adventurer
The jacks are worth the price he's asking. What's the length? I made mine 80" inside length so I can stretch out. Mine weighed 522 when first finished and was okay on the truck without gear and wife but I later added air bags because I was towing a trailer.

climber-420

Adventurer
The length is right at 72 inches, and will fit inside my bed, and I can even close the tailgate (supposedly). I measured the other day and think it will be fine. I have decided that if it doesn't drop the back of the truck too badly, I am going to purchase it. If I am in over my head with this, I can just sell it to someone else. Greatly looking forward to having a project to work on, as my GF is in PA school and currently doing her rotations all around the state. I am not good at sitting still, so this will give me something to look forward to (hopefully without emptying the wallet). Thank you all for the responses. I will post some pics tomorrow (if I still end up getting it). If I do, then the questions will really start flowing.

Cheers.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Can't wait to see what happens with it. I've learned a lot on this site that would have helped me had I known before I started mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94