I need help from the LR guru's

nickatnite

Observer
Please......

Monday, I am going to look at a LR Discovery.

Here is what I know.
1997 LR Discovery with 128,000 miles. Blue with Tan interior. Veh is in overall good shape from what the guys says. My assumption is, being that the LR down here, the only offroad it has seen is:
A) Tailgating at LSU ballgames
B) Accidentally jumping the curb at Starbucks, a Bar or an ATM machine.

Standard Equipment: Anti-theft Security System, Air Conditioning, Power Brakes, Power Steering, Dual front air bags/active belts, AM/FM Cassette, 241 Cubic Inch Displacement, Gross Vehicle Weight:6,001 - 10,000, Tilt Wheel, Power Windows, 4 wheel standard Anti-lock Brakes, 8 Cylinders

Now then, I've got the vin number and Carfax is good. The vehicle did come from Denver, Co. It's sitting on a used car lot on consignment. I've spoken to the owner on the phone and the owner is ASKING 4,000 for the vehicle (the lot has 4,200 on the window). The owner just doesn't have time to deal with selling the car.

Now here comes the hard part. What all do I need to look for? I've never owned a LR before. The only Euro veh I have owned is a BMW 3 series car and my current 06 BMW GS bike. I am very mechanically inclined (from owning my first car in 1983 and up and helping my dad restore street rods). Plus, how many people do you know that has a car lift in their dad's garage.

Any and all help is appreciated guys.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
maintenance records? CO? any rust? any major work done at 90K miles?

check out lrrforums.com for more feedback.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Michael Slade said:
go here:

discoweb.org

Ask your question again there. It is the default defacto dispensory for all data dat defers to da Discovery.

:D

Good luck with the D-Webbers. A word of advice before you go to the jackals den, search for your question first....and be prepared to be flamed by post count know-it-alls if you do ask a question. :26_7_2:

Michael Slade

Untitled
No seriously, I've asked stupid newbie-discovery questions and not been flamed. If you go in seriously undereducated and tell them I sent you I'll jump in and defend any flaming that goes on.

I really think that you can get good info there. If you're getting a dead-end reception, I can send you to my friend Paul Schram. He's willing to give good advice.

About the only thing I would watch for with a Disco or any V8 powered LR, is to really watch and find out if it had done any towing. The top end of these motors isn't the greatest and I have heard that the towing will kill that motor the fastest.

Oh yeah, rust is bad too...if it's spent any time in the northeast or Utah in the winter.

nickatnite

Observer
Thanks for the replies guys.

From the prior research I've been doing here and on at LRR, I think I will just stick to these 2 places.

RoverMack

Adventurer
nickatnite said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

From the prior research I've been doing here and on at LRR, I think I will just stick to these 2 places.

Disco web is a wealth of information- if you plan on doing any modifications to your Disco, at least do a search. Overlooking the wealth of real world experience would be a mistake. Just be honest, don't tell them what you will be doing with your LR, ask for advice after doing your research. Disco web has its own "charm" best summed up as "not suffering fools gladly".

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
In some cases Discoweb is a wealth of information. On the other hand there are also a bunch of ****************** who have make Discoweb a site I don't really care for anymore.

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
Oh yeah... what are you looking to pay for a decent Rover? The newer you can afford, the better in a Disco (in my opinion). I like the 2001 and 2004 Disco II's the best because of the CDL. 2004 being top of the list - no mods needed for CDL... 2001 had the CDL, but you have to install a handle, solinoid, or whatever to activate it. We have a 2002 DII, and I am going to have to swap in the CDL LT230 because the 02 didn't come with it. Retarded!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've been a newbie at Discoweb for the past few months and the experience has been frustrating at best.

There is so much potential there, because there are a lot of people who really know their stuff. But the problem is a few of the anti-social moron on the site who ruin it for everybody else. They can jump into an otherwise useful thread and destroy it very quickly. They always tell you to search, but the problem is first of all the search doesn't work very well. Secondly, if it does work, you get a lot of threads with somebody asking the same question, and being told to search, and so there's no answers. You have to read 20+ threads to find one with any info in it because of all the other threads that ended in being told to search, or which were destroyed by the few morons over there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles