Not enjoying my 80-Series; did I make the wrong choice?

MikesVX80

Observer
Well, good news today! Took the car down to Overland Cruisers for Julian to give it a thorough once-over and assessment of the vehicle before I get any further into the build. Basically, this was make or break for me and the LC...

Firstly, we took it for a test drive and yes, it was certainly down on power (or boost and fuel, to be precise). So JV made some tweaks to the fuel pump, both to the diaphragm side and the adjuster screw to pep things up a bit. It certainly felt perkier on the test drive, but it was on the 100 mile drive home I really noticed and appreciated the difference - the car is transformed! It's definitely a bit quicker, but more than that is how improved the driveability is! With boost now available well below 2,000rpm (where it kicked in previously) I can now make great progress down fast A-roads, no need to change down on long uphill sections...basically it is 100% better to drive from a power perspective.

Secondly, the suspension is tired - it's not hitting the bump stops, but after 22 years it's tired and needs replacing. Not a problem, as I was going to replace it anyway, but good to know it's that and not anything else - all the bushes seem in good condition, which is great news.

Finally, JV's assessment: one of the best 'standard' 80's he's seen in recent times, he was very pleasantly surprised how good condition the car is in, which is great news! It means I made the right decision buying a standard car to build up, rather than buying an already modified vehicle.

So the good news is I'm keeping it. I know once the suspension is replaced with some decent kit it will finish the transformation in terms of driveability, so that is my next job. Big thanks to JV and Overland Cruisers for their help and efforts this afternoon, will be back for some suspension soon I'm sure!

IMG_1172.jpg

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
FYI, without checking the FSM I believe stock caster is 3*. I went to 4* on my truck. And for those not clearly understanding, that is 3* back from center. Forward and it is out the wrong direction. Cheers

A bit OT, but any issues or effect on power steering from adding a full degree of castor?

So the good news is I'm keeping it. I know once the suspension is replaced with some decent kit it will finish the transformation in terms of driveability, so that is my next job. Big thanks to JV and Overland Cruisers for their help and efforts this afternoon, will be back for some suspension soon I'm sure!

I forget who I heard say this, but its how look at my 80s: "no matter how bad it gets, an 80 is still a good problem to have"

Happi Trailz

MikesVX80

Observer
I forget who I heard say this, but its how look at my 80s: "no matter how bad it gets, an 80 is still a good problem to have"

Haha, very true! Julian @ Overland Cruisers said something along the lines of "the thing with even the roughest 80's that come in is they are still going strong. They can lose an arm and a leg, and they will still get you to where you want to go." I like that.

Sarmajor

It a mistery to me

How you can correct the camber of a solid axle vehicle with bushes given that the camber is fixed by the relationship of the trunnions bearings. Caster should always be corrected when a lift is installed or you will get the problems others have mentioned.
I have heard a lifted 80 without caster correction bushes compared to an out of control shopping trolley.

I am not sure how you can have a cat back exhaust on a 91 cruiser that never had a cat.

My late 92 80 series VX has a safari intercooler, egt and boost guage, and boost controller set at just under the hi boost switch set point. About 15 psi.

I have adjusted the setting of the boost compensator top point and adjusted the main fuel setting until I can get max power without smoke on full boost. Egt peeks around 675C PRE Turbo. And I can back off if required.
The turbo is stock.
Changed the plumbing of the waste gate control system so the the waste gate is controlled by post intercooler boost pressure. The layout is the same as provided by the grunter guy.

My cruiser on BFG MT 285/75R16's cruises at 60 mph at 2200 rpm.

I have a 50mm OME suspension upgrade fitted and it can be a bit harsh unloaded but is better with some load in the back.
I went heavy duty springs because of the ARB bar and winch on the front.

I hope you persevere with your truck.

One last thing, my truck has 340k km on the odometer and I will finally be getting the injectors serviced next month.

peneumbra

Explorer
You might be happier with the overall motoring experience if you would DRIVE ON THE PROPER SIDE OF THE ROAD!!

Of course, everyone else in the UK would have to convert also, or things could get tense...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior