Land Cruiser number 4 for me...

hairy_apple

Adventurer
I've been lusting after an 80 for a long time. My wife and I both wanted to get another 4x4 that was not 40 years old for general use. Camping, going over to Reno in bad weather, ect. Just needed something easy for the times we wanted to go the mountains but didn't want to spend the time getting the 40 or her pickup ready. She really wanted a 4runner, but my parents have an 02 4runner and I find it really cramped and uncomfortable. I really liked the 80s, always have. So when I found this guy for sale for half of what we had planned to spend on one, I pounced on it.

1991, 178K miles. Needs a water pump (halfway done with that today), and a rear and side window. It's in really great shape for it's age. A few minor things here and there I'll have to address, but I'm quite happy with my new cruiser. It's going to be my wife's daily driver for a while at least, and I'm planning on any mods being VERY mild. Only thing I'm concerned about is if I'll ever drive my 40 again once we have this thing going. :(

10959375_10204199693817457_448864460685132090_n_zpsxpknxxun.jpg

10929132_10204199695817507_2285207572673363145_n_zpswrmyc7dz.jpg

10987671_10204199694337470_2425721593173501658_n_zps9jhs2sre.jpg

10432094_10204199696217517_3474028770719117126_n_zps2vguxtpp.jpg

10959824_10204199694937485_3668813033659399545_n_zps8kdmzbbn.jpg

10385565_10204199698697579_3490436861338739223_n_zpsilog4ssu.jpg

10959756_10204199699457598_1985697007581313009_n_zpsx2cgf3g8.jpg

10922686_10204199699057588_3461886866222465648_n_zpsifzpiu56.jpg

[

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Congrats on the new one! Lots of people have a hate on for the 3FE, but they are very simple and reliable. I'm sure you've read Summit Jrs thread on his FJ80. It's an awesome build.

If you tire of driving the 40, put me at the top of the list to help exercise it...

hairy_apple

Adventurer
I love the 3FE. I am going to take the 350 out of my 40 and put a 3FE into it someday. It's not fast, but it's easy to work on, super reliable, long lasting motor. Yeah, I wanted to hold out for a 4.5L 80, but for the price and overall condition of this, I couldn't pass it up. It will do great for what we want it for.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Yeah.. I told my wife. I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. Let me have my one addiction.

Yeah, I love cruisers. They are all cool. My 40 is a rattletrap, loud, rough riding, aweful vehicle in so many ways.. but I love it to death. This is going to be awesome. Once I have the few little things fixed, it will be great for some long trips. My brother just moved to Colorado so I'm hoping to go visit him this summer.. and I really wanted to take a 4x4, but not really wanting to take the 40 all that way out.. now I can take a 4x4. :)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have fond memories of going over passes in sub zero temps driving my 40 in a down sleepingbag! I'm not sure I'd go back to that level of roughness for extended trips. If I didn't have a company to run, I'd be ok with the advenure that comes with old beaters on long trips, as I did in my younger days, but now I need to be back home when I said I would be. (Give or take a few days. I AM the boss after all!)

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Well... really bummed today. Went to go start cleaning it out, and getting the broken glass out. I pulled off the trash bags over the damaged window... and there is a huge dent that caused the window the break. The guy I bought it from clearly taped around it to hide it. I feel like an idiot, but why would I have taken the trash bag off the broken window. He said someone broke the window, not someone smashed the side of the cruiser and took a window out with it. I'm super pissed I didn't check.. right now a window won't even go in the frame. My parents live next door to a body guy, so I am going to take it over there in a few days... see if he can at least get it to where a window will seal up again. God I'm mad. I am a little worried too.. clearly he tried to hide it.. what else did he not tell me.... uhhhhh... just wanted a nice ride I could check the fluids and go for an adventure.. not another project.

There is a part of me that really just wants to rip the engine out and put it in my 40 and then part it out.. say screw it I got a free engine. :( I think once I calm down I will get over that idea, but I am just frustrated. My wife pointed out, if we get a window in it, the interior is still nice, it's still a lot more comfortable and reliable then anything else we have... no function as been lost... I am just mad. Very very mad.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
10968436_10204211653676446_8347896259556557520_n_zpsieoptng5.jpg

Not the door.. I wish it was a door. That would be easy. Like I said.. going to go to my parent's neighbor this weekend I guess and see if he can help straighten it out. I just am pissed. Pissed he lied, and pissed I didn't check and see what it looked like.

You can kind of see the tape lines.. the tape is right past the damage... it's pretty clear he was hiding it with the bag over the window. I sent the guy a text a few hours ago and no response.. not that I expected one. He got his money and I'm stuck with a huge dent. It just pisses me off that people are like that.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Oh I feel for you. Bought a '04 F-150 from a dealer. About 2 weeks later rusty bits started to fall from the RH inner rear box.. Furious!! Ended up having to replace
the entire outer side panel of the box.
I would calmly phone the guy you bought it from and explain in non profane language that he clearly misrepresented the break. Ask him to come clean with a bit of
restitution. Have a clear quote from your body guy. Never know, it might work. If not, at least you took the high road.
BTW, really like that truck. I sat in an 80 yesterday for the first time, now I know why everyone likes them! Very nice wheels! Good luck. J

TXLX

Observer
10968436_10204211653676446_8347896259556557520_n_zpsieoptng5.jpg

Not the door.. I wish it was a door. That would be easy. Like I said.. going to go to my parent's neighbor this weekend I guess and see if he can help straighten it out. I just am pissed. Pissed he lied, and pissed I didn't check and see what it looked like.

You can kind of see the tape lines.. the tape is right past the damage... it's pretty clear he was hiding it with the bag over the window. I sent the guy a text a few hours ago and no response.. not that I expected one. He got his money and I'm stuck with a huge dent. It just pisses me off that people are like that.

That's a bummer, caveat emptor. The whole world isn't crooked, it's just a few ************** from the same coward family. I hope you got a good deal, so it's not quite as painful.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
I tried a few times to call him.. strangely enough.. now that he has my money, he won't answer his phone.

Which.. makes more sense today after getting the water pump replaced. Got it warmed up. Everything looked good. No leaks, no smoke. No oil and water mixing.. everything seemed great. Jumped in it and went to drive it up the road.. and massive rod knock started at about 2K RPM. OUCH... I'm pissed. But mostly, just really bummed. Never been screwed on a cruiser or cruiser parts.. until today. I should have ran far away when I saw the guy and his yard.. total hillbilly.. but I'm a trusting idiot and I paid for it this time.

Between the dent, the back fees for the registration, and the motor damage... I just have to cut my losses I think. I can part it out for more then I bought it for, so I'll be OK there. But we are super poor right now, and borrowing a car from my parents. I was super happy to finally be able to give them back their car and have a nice ride for my wife.. and it just sucks. I made a mistake and I just have to deal with it now and make the best of it. I'm going to keep the top end of the motor, use it to build my "2FE" for my 40. I figure the axles and wheels and tires will get me close to what I paid for it, and I'm sure people will want the interior bits. I just screwed up on this one. You always take a risk buying older cars, and I just messed up and got hosed. Oh well, crap happens. We'll just set aside the money we get parting it, and save for a nicer one down the road. :(

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you can part it out for more than you paid, and get a free top end for your 40, then you are winning. Sure, you might have to hang on to your folks car a bit longer, but put the profit into a nicer Cruiser in a few weeks/months. There are plenty of soccer mom 80s around. You'll find the right one soon enough!

rocrunr

Adventurer
Man that sucks! There is always one...... in every crowd.I've been there myself and it wasn't the money it was the fact that I really needed a reliable ride/quick fix. Then you have to take the long road. Hope in the long road it works in your favour some how and buddy gets what he deserves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94