First aid refreshers

ilguy

Observer
Good afternoon all!

After many hours of looking through Google searches......I will search with you.

Where can I find first aid refreshers videos/tutorials online? It has been many years since I have had a proper first aid course and I would like to reinforce what knowledge i have.

I have checked with my local Red Cross and their offerings can best be described as pitiful.

Also, I must mention that my travels never take me too far from proper/professional medical attention like some but I would like to have the knowledge and training just in case.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Chris

Wilderness First Aid

Hi Chris,

I teach a 2 day Wilderness First Aid class that many of our fellow Overlanders have taken, including the team at Overland International. I am holding a class March 21 & 22 in Northern California. You can PM me for more info!!

This is a great class for anyone who spends time in the backcountry!!

Kristina

XJCamper

SE Expedition Society
Wilderness First Aid and Recovery classes are great. Anyone who is going to be out in the woods for any length of time ought to go through some sort of back country recovery or stabilization training. I have been certified twice through the Boy Scouts Program. Unfortunately they will only offer this to leaders of Scouts. Since CA is a little far from where you are at currently I would suggest going to RedCross.org and check out what they offer. They have online programs that will give you a CPR/AED certification at the end of the the coarse. The coarse runs $25 for the online coarse. In person classes are also available for $70.
Hope this helps.

Arclight

SAR guy
A 2-day "Wilderness First Aid" (WFA) class is going to be your best time and money investment if you want to get back up to speed on backcountry first aid.

Here are some places to find one:

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wildfirstaid.shtml
http://www.wildmed.com/wilderness-medical-courses/first-aid/wilderness-first-aid/
http://www.rei.com/learn.html

These classes are geared towards hikers/group leaders/sportsmen and include a mix of classroom and field work.

Expect to pay $200-300 for a good one. It's at least twice as expensive as a typical workplace first aid/CPR, but you won't go home feeling like you wasted your time.

Arclight

Good afternoon all!

After many hours of looking through Google searches......I will search with you.

Where can I find first aid refreshers videos/tutorials online? It has been many years since I have had a proper first aid course and I would like to reinforce what knowledge i have.

I have checked with my local Red Cross and their offerings can best be described as pitiful.

Also, I must mention that my travels never take me too far from proper/professional medical attention like some but I would like to have the knowledge and training just in case.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Chris

762X39

Explorer
Where can I find first aid refreshers videos/tutorials online? It has been many years since I have had a proper first aid course and I would like to reinforce what knowledge i have
I have found that taking a refresher with other people in the room is always more valuable than online. The interaction, questions asked, techniques displayed and other peoples perspectives cannot be duplicated online. I always learn something new when I re-certify in a classroom setting with others.It is just my opinion but first aid is a hands on experience :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles