different weight spare wheel

srschick

Adventurer
Just "upgraded" to 18" wheels (from 19"), and found a great deal on some OEMs, the catch being there were only 4.
I bought 5 new tires so I can have a full sized spare. But I can't seem to find another spare wheel to exactly match the other 4.
I can get a spare wheel that is the same size as the others (18x8) but different spoke configuration, which I'm sure is a different weight.

Question is: can I use the spare wheel with the others without negatively impacting my trucks abilities, especially off road? even in "extended duration"?
I plan to use the spare when needed, then getting the original fixed if possible and putting it back on, moving the spare back into it's purpose.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Are you talking load rating? If so just make sure you are under the lighter wheels load limit. If you mean rotating mass it will be fine.

srschick

Adventurer
All the wheels I talking about are OEM wheels, so the load rating for the spare should be fine.
for you LR people, I'm talking about mixing and matching the LR3 18" 5 and 10 spoke wheels.

155mm

Adventurer
Yeah with the OEM wheels you should be fine for that purpose. Worst thing that could happen is someone makes fun of you for not having matching wheels.

Each spinning wheel will always have a different amount of resistance to acceleration and deceleration based on load, traction, etc. so a change like that won't really make a difference. Any vehicle calculations for traction or stability control are based on what is actually happening (e.g. reacting to wheel slip).

1stDeuce

Explorer
About the only thing that could make a difference is if the backspacing is different between the two. If it is, it'll likely cause a slight pull if used on the front, but no problem on the back.
C

srschick

Adventurer
I'm looking at doing the same with my RRS, mind if I as where you found the hot deal on wheels?

I found this cool place where they sell just about everything! it's called "ebay" or something like that... :p

but really, It took me about a month of searching and waiting for just the right deal to come along.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Just "upgraded" to 18" wheels (from 19"), and found a great deal on some OEMs, the catch being there were only 4.
I bought 5 new tires so I can have a full sized spare. But I can't seem to find another spare wheel to exactly match the other 4.
I can get a spare wheel that is the same size as the others (18x8) but different spoke configuration, which I'm sure is a different weight.

Question is: can I use the spare wheel with the others without negatively impacting my trucks abilities, especially off road? even in "extended duration"?
I plan to use the spare when needed, then getting the original fixed if possible and putting it back on, moving the spare back into it's purpose.

Folks have been doing this for decades without issue. Take a look around while driving and notice how many modified rigs you see with a non-matching spare, there are more that do not match than those that do. Matching tires on the other hand is very important. I'm a stickler and my spare has to match, you can find a match for most sets of 4 using the numbers or code on the back of the wheel.

98dango

Expedition Leader
If it puts your mind at ease 90% of the rigs don't have a 100% matching spare from the factory. My 2005 Tahoe came with 17" wheel's and a 16" spare. It's very common to see a rig with nice alloy wheels and a cheap steel wheel for a spare.

When I was 15 I bought a 1990 jeep wrangler. On the way home we went to the sand dunes and low air pressure I popped a bead I pulled the fancy tire cover off to find a temporary spare on a 4x4 from the factory. I was upset but it got us to the motor home so I could fix the original tire.

Last edited:

srschick

Adventurer
Yeah, but those kind of "donut" spares are meant to be a short temporary fix.
I'm wondering if it'll be an issue for hundreds of miles. Which it doesn't seem like it would be.
The spare tire will be the same exact size as the originals.
Also, i've found that the different spare wheel is not too far off in weight.

98dango

Expedition Leader
It makes no matter how much the weight is if the circumference or diameter is the same it's all the same. The truck dose not care if the weigh us the same width isn't he same as long as rolling is the same.

You can take 4 brand new wheels and 4 brand new tires and weigh then and get 4 different numbers the fun part is they can be 4 different measured sizes and all be the same. Quality control is not that exact.

As a point of fact I have one wheel on my superduty that is not the same as the other 3. I have owned this truck for 2 years and just noticed yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke