Solo kayak river shuttle ideas

Silver dude

Xplorer
I'm wanting to run more rivers this year but I'm torn on how to shuttle rivers. I'm looking to join a paddle club which will help in a big way. But, alot of times with my friends I'm the only guy with a rack on his vehicle or the only guy who wants to kayak that day. Worst part of the whole kayaking experience is shuttling cars or finding people to bother doing the shuttling. I've considered the bicycling option. But, maybe there is something I'm overlooking.

MizMoosie

Observer
I carry a TW200 on a hitch rack. Canoe on truck. Go to put in and unload canoe. Depending on the put in, I may chain boat to a tree.

Drive to take out, unload the TW and ride back to put in.

Do the river run, load boat on waiting truck and drive back to the put in to load the TW.

Voila!

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The wife and I have that problem today so we are dropping in at the mouth of a lake and will paddle up the feeder creek as far as we can. No whitewater but with a cooler, dog, and two people in a canoe it will be fun. We can drive two cars but one is a free company car. I budget entertainment in my head .10 trips in a $350 canoe is $35 per trip. Lunch out of our fridge does not count and $6 park fee. $41 day. The trick for me on these compromised short excursions is to expect nothing. That way if we see the fox that lives on the bluff, the weather and wind are right and the pooch makes us laugh it will be a blast. Whatever you do don't sit at home.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Motorcycle is a good idea. Maybe I'll look for a TW this summer my XT600 is a bit big to bumper. I don't really like leaving my gear at the water (I live in the city with the 10th highest crime rate in the nation) Haven't tried the bicycle trick yet because my bikes are to nice and $$$ to leave unattended. But, if I have to leave the kayak usually I use a cable lock around a huge oak and hide the paddle in some brush off trail. I was thinking about making a trailer for the kayak and towing it behind a yardsale bike to the top but it's a workout and a full day.

I've put in at the bottom and paddled upstream a few times. It's good fun but sometimes I just want to cover distance on a lazy river rather then just be on the water.

I was sort of thinking I could call a taxi. Or bribe a relitive with dinner.

Maybe I'll be blessed with a great paddling woman this year that doesn't fuss about driving separately.

Ideas are ideas thanks for the input.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Maybe I'll be blessed with a great paddling woman this year that doesn't fuss about driving separately.
I was racing a Hobie Cat every other weekend when I started dating the wife. Rain or shine and in cold ruff water. She was a trooper. If you can get along on the water with a blowing rain and she comes back you have a keeper. She was with me just below in my Canyon lake thread. We wore coveralls and a ski mask to fight the cold and drizzle that morning but it's all good if your with the right crew. You will find one.

ilguy

Observer
Hey silver.....

I have a great idea! I am new to kayaking although I have paddled canoes all my life. I just bought three kayaks (wife and son).

Here is the best part......I live in Rockford and have been contemplating the same thing!

I am quite positive between the two of us we can figure this out.....with a few beers......LOL

Contact me

Chris

MizMoosie

Observer
Motorcycle is a good idea. Maybe I'll look for a TW this summer my XT600 is a bit big to bumper. I don't really like leaving my gear at the water (I live in the city with the 10th highest crime rate in the nation) Haven't tried the bicycle trick yet because my bikes are to nice and $$$ to leave unattended. But, if I have to leave the kayak usually I use a cable lock around a huge oak and hide the paddle in some brush off trail. I was thinking about making a trailer for the kayak and towing it behind a yardsale bike to the top but it's a workout and a full day.

I've put in at the bottom and paddled upstream a few times. It's good fun but sometimes I just want to cover distance on a lazy river rather then just be on the water.

I was sort of thinking I could call a taxi. Or bribe a relitive with dinner.

Ideas are ideas thanks for the input.

I hear you! I lived in Chicago for 5 years. Never. Again.

My 1986 VW GTI was broken into 7 times. I bought a new Chevy pickup and on the first night my spare was stolen. Never. Again.

There are no local outfitters at all? Even if they usually just rent their own gear they will often be willing to transport you with your own gear, for a fee of course. Another idea would be to try to befriend some locals that could act like "trail angels" do for hikers.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Yeah I'm going to try working with a few outfitters this year as well. I have in the past and it was fun for multi day trips. I'm more so for looking for the spur of the moment mid day paddle shuttle. Headed to the Canoecopia Show in Madison, Wi next month hoping to pull much more information on clubs and outfitters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke