New to this section of EP

Jb1rd

Explorer
Hi all, I am usually over in the 4wd Van section as I have been playing around with a B190 that ultimately went nowhere. Long time Toyota fan, beginning with my first 86 p/u and then onto an 01 Tundra access cab then an 06 Tundra dbl cab and now an 05 dbl cab. Such a great platform, look forward to seeing ya'lls builds and getting ideas for making this the ultimate Baja Adventure Truck
8d45e4c62ca0e754e6c7e84549090a08.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
You too Brad, can't wait to get into your new build thread, the Vandiana posts were awesome!!!

Hey! Another Van transplant... Nice to see you again.

Brad

If you don't mind me asking, why did you guys walk away from the vans? A small part of me wants to get a van, it would only used for traveling and hauling dirt bikes...don't know if I could live with 10 mpgs (it would have to be gas)

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
For me it was a financial decision, coupled with the selfish desire to have something new and more convenient for day to day life. If I had the $$ and property, I would absolutely still have that van, or I would be currently building its replacement. Reality, however, was that I needed about $10k more to finish the interior properly, and by that, I mean having it meet my own personal standards for fit, function, and quality. BUT, sinking that kind of cash into a vehicle that only gets driven a couple times a week for school duties, or groceries, didn't sit well with me. As life clicked by and road trips didn't materialize, I grew weary of the diesel noise, the fear (irrational and real) of being stranded by the 6.0, and the inconvenient(for me) size of the beast. The Tacoma is a walk in the park by comparison. Mods are relatively cheap, it is super easy to jump in and drive the 2 minutes to the gym, it is quiet, and it's finished on the inside. I still find myself perusing the classifieds looking at vans though... Maybe one day I will revisit the idea.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Space time and money, I can pretty much echo what Brad said. I love my van and if I had a place to put it more than anything I would keep it!! The Tundy will be much more user friendly at this moment in time, it is ,my third and I love everything about the platform. Next up will be a Flippac, Wildernest or FWC, other than that probably just some SAW Coilovers, TC or Camburg UCA and Bumpers/winch and she is ready to go anywhere. A lot cheaper than kitting out the van even with my interior being totally done, there is always something more to do, esp when you are OCD!!
If you don't mind me asking, why did you guys walk away from the vans? A small part of me wants to get a van, it would only used for traveling and hauling dirt bikes...don't know if I could live with 10 mpgs (it would have to be gas)

Clutch

<---Pass
Space time and money, I can pretty much echo what Brad said. I love my van and if I had a place to put it more than anything I would keep it!! The Tundy will be much more user friendly at this moment in time, it is ,my third and I love everything about the platform. Next up will be a Flippac, Wildernest or FWC, other than that probably just some SAW Coilovers, TC or Camburg UCA and Bumpers/winch and she is ready to go anywhere. A lot cheaper than kitting out the van even with my interior being totally done, there is always something more to do, esp when you are OCD!!

For me it was a financial decision, coupled with the selfish desire to have something new and more convenient for day to day life. If I had the $$ and property, I would absolutely still have that van, or I would be currently building its replacement. Reality, however, was that I needed about $10k more to finish the interior properly, and by that, I mean having it meet my own personal standards for fit, function, and quality. BUT, sinking that kind of cash into a vehicle that only gets driven a couple times a week for school duties, or groceries, didn't sit well with me. As life clicked by and road trips didn't materialize, I grew weary of the diesel noise, the fear (irrational and real) of being stranded by the 6.0, and the inconvenient(for me) size of the beast. The Tacoma is a walk in the park by comparison. Mods are relatively cheap, it is super easy to jump in and drive the 2 minutes to the gym, it is quiet, and it's finished on the inside. I still find myself perusing the classifieds looking at vans though... Maybe one day I will revisit the idea.

Thanks fellas...pretty much my conclusion...I have a real hard time spending money on a vehicle that is going to sit mostly. We just don't travel "enough" to justify it. Where as a Tacoma or a Tundra makes more sense for an all around do-it-all vehicle, get more use out of it for the money spent. The other thing with vans, once you build out the interior...you're basically stuck with it...with pickup truck, it can fill multiple roles.

Nice Tundra Jb1rd, BTW. That might be the cat's meow of a do-it-all vehicles. We are in the market for another 4WD vehicle...can't make up my mind what to get.

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thank you, they really are a great all around rig, I almost went with an 07 Crewmax, it was actually kitted out almost identical but had leather and those cool amp running boards, but in the end the price difference (more miles too) and the less than stellar reviews of the change over year brought me back to my senses.
Thanks fellas...pretty much my conclusion...I have a real hard time spending money on a vehicle that is going to sit mostly. We just don't travel "enough" to justify it. Where as a Tacoma or a Tundra makes more sense for an all around do-it-all vehicle, get more use out of it for the money spent. The other thing with vans, once you build out the interior...you're basically stuck with it...with pickup truck, it can fill multiple roles.

Nice Tundra Jb1rd, BTW. That might be the cat's meow of a do-it-all vehicles. We are in the market for another 4WD vehicle...can't make up my mind what to get.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Thank you, they really are a great all around rig, I almost went with an 07 Crewmax, it was actually kitted out almost identical but had leather and those cool amp running boards, but in the end the price difference (more miles too) and the less than stellar reviews of the change over year brought me back to my senses.
Not to mention the looks. I just can't get into the looks of the second generation of either the Tundra or Tacoma. I really think the 1st Gen. Tundra is the best all around truck platform, good looks, not too big, large interior space, 6.5 ft. bed, V8 power, etc.

My family has a one ton 15 passenger Ford Club Wagon. We use it when there are not enough seats in the Tundra. I thought like many of building out the van, however the road noise, handling, and $$$ keep from it.

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer
Ordered the LED kit from Velocity and wanted to know if there is any special tools I need for the interior lights? I have just the standard SR5 with buckets not the 60/40 split, not sure it matters but thought I should throw it out there. Also have F/R Weathertechs coming, have these in my wife's subby and they seem much better than the molded fit Husky liners I normally buy. Next up are the SAW or possibly Kings and UCA, Camburg or TC any opinions either way? I want something adjustable for when I find a front winch bumper.

tyv12

Adventurer
Interior lights are super simple, as far as ucas I have total chaos and have had trouble with them loosening or over tightening the main thru bolt and the supplied ucas if they aren't Teflon lines are junk, if you're not jumping it for my next ucas I'm gonna be looking at light racing... When it comes to coilovers let me know when you are gonna pull the trigger I've run the gamete on coil options tried 4 sets and pretty much if ur gonna have a bumper on you can upgrade to a 16" spring and don't go any ligher than 700# if ur running a bumper, you can see in my thread what a 14" spring looks like on a dc. Now that I've gone to the longer spring I was able to remove my sway bar and have the truck drive normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jb1rd

Explorer
Awesome, thanks for the info and yes, I will def HYU when the time comes, hoping before summer.
Interior lights are super simple, as far as ucas I have total chaos and have had trouble with them loosening or over tightening the main thru bolt and the supplied ucas if they aren't Teflon lines are junk, if you're not jumping it for my next ucas I'm gonna be looking at light racing... When it comes to coilovers let me know when you are gonna pull the trigger I've run the gamete on coil options tried 4 sets and pretty much if ur gonna have a bumper on you can upgrade to a 16" spring and don't go any ligher than 700# if ur running a bumper, you can see in my thread what a 14" spring looks like on a dc. Now that I've gone to the longer spring I was able to remove my sway bar and have the truck drive normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drobb

Adventurer
Ordered the LED kit from Velocity and wanted to know if there is any special tools I need for the interior lights? I have just the standard SR5 with buckets not the 60/40 split, not sure it matters but thought I should throw it out there. Also have F/R Weathertechs coming, have these in my wife's subby and they seem much better than the molded fit Husky liners I normally buy. Next up are the SAW or possibly Kings and UCA, Camburg or TC any opinions either way? I want something adjustable for when I find a front winch bumper.

I run Kings up front on my Sequoia with Built Right UCA.....we spend lots of time in the desert......drives and rides awesome for a heavy suv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles