What van do you recommend for me + dogs?

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I like that dodge. Seems to be a tested unit. I have a Chevy van 85 model with a pathfinder conversion. I have not got play it off road due to having had it at a friends shop who's working on as time permits. But looking at it the only common thing I've seen on the pathfinder conversions is look at the front axle. It may need to be moved forward a few inches. But given the stuff that's been to this dodge I would think its already been done.

For the money that dodge is a good deal I think. And that 360 is a beast for sure.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
All I ever had was 2x4 until I got out of the service. After having my first 4x4 I'll never have a 2x4 again except for a round town vehicle.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

peneumbra

Explorer
That '84 Dodge in ABQ looks like it might be just the thing to have.The only concern might be that a Dana 44 is a bit light for a front axle, but one could likely get a smokin' deal on a Dana 60 and swap that in...

Sleam

Explorer
another 4x4 I just saw

The advert is in Colorado: I like the look of this more than anything so far. Hmmm....

"Hello, selling my 79 4X4 Chevy Van G30 Shorty. The van has been a project of mine for a few years now. The engine has been rebuilt, new parts include radiator, water pump, cooling fan, fuel pump, power steering pump, carburetor and alternator. I'm probably forgetting some things but basically the entire engine compartment was gone through and updated with new parts as well. It was also converted it to a rotary belt instead of v belts. It has brand new all terrain tires. The van runs and drives amazing. The 4X4 works flawlessly (Hi and Low range). Its a factory Pathfinder 4X4 conversion. I just drove it to Colorado Springs and back with no issues what so ever. It has a pioneer CD deck with 4 new Rockford Fosgate 6x9 speakers with a Kenwood amp and iPod jack installed. The van has four bucket seats, all of which have swivel mounts with the two back seats having quick release mounts for easy removal. The interior is in over all very good condition. The van has a sun roof and the sliding bay door. One thing worth mentioning is the speedometer is not working, odometer reads 80,000 but is also not working, it needs a new speedometer cable, which is a junk yard part apparently. Also the starter has been acting up lately so I bought a new one but I haven't installed it yet. Other then that the Van is in great shape. Its a very fun ride and people are always giving you the fist pump when you drive by. Im asking $8500 OBO. I have seen other 4X4 Vans go for a similar price. This van is in really good condition and I would not hesitate to take it on a long road trip. The roof rack and coffin box are not included. The van is located in Aspen. I'm a MOTIVATED SELLER! Lets make a deal. I would be interested in trading for a older sprinter van of equal value or partial trade and cash for the difference. Please feel free to call, text or email me with any questions. "

350outrage

Adventurer
AWD/4WD... Meh.. couple inch lift, all terrain tires, pack some tire chains - maybe a rear locker. go cheap, go big, go far. gut the seats, nice cooler, house battery, futon mattress or cot, propane heater. conversion van with high top best bang-for-the-leaving-for-Alaska buck... strip the running boards & add steel wheels. the more time you spend massaging the perfect ride is less time spent in a roadside bar on the Alaskan highway:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Seri...aa1d79df8&item=251823365624&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Seri...cf2ec66e7&item=261773616871&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Seri...0f5f8b28c&item=141565670028&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-E...6344566dc&item=301524674268&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I have to say, on your budget, this makes a lot of sense!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Personally, I'd do a Sprinter.

There are now lots of the older ones well under the $10k mark.

6'2" standing room! Up to 14 FEET of space behind the drivers seats to make a nice comfy home for 6 months.

20+ mpg and factory diesle heater options!!!

alia176

Explorer
On a trip like this, the following attributes are important to me, after completing several cross country trips:

Low NVH
When I'm pounding the pavement for days on end, I want to be driving something that transmits low noise, vibration and harshness. Nothing tires me out faster than hearing wind, engine and pavement noise on a long drive. Having a vehicle that is smooth, rather quiet and tight is something I'd look forward to driving at the beginning of each day. The Alaskan hwy's are brutal and I'd want the suspension and road noise to be kept at a minimum. If the vehicle requires "work" to drive, chances are that I wouldn't want to get behind the wheel eagerly every day.

Smooth aerodynamics
Ability to handle strong head and cross winds for hours on end is paramount. A lifted vehicle with a tall signature or a brick on wheels won't do for me. Fighting the steering wheel for hours on end just plain sucks. Having a 18 wheeler trying to blow me off the road won't do.

2wd vs 4wd
If I were going to Alaska and hit some of the forest roads/trails, I'd pick a 2x2. This isn't a four wheeling trip, rather an extended camping trips with occasional forays into the forest and logging roads. Four wheeling in Alaska requires a level of 4x4-ness that can only be achieved with large MTs, tall lifts and snorkels. Yes, it'd make me cautious as to where I go but extra fuel hit and more drivetrain (heavy) wear and tear just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Fuel type
This trip is all about setting the cruise control and forget it! The engine lugging along at a mild 1600rpm or so should yield for decent fuel economy and we all know that a petrol engine may not be able to pull well at that engine speed unless it's a huge gas guzzler. Yes, today's modern petrol engines can do it but the OP's budget won't allow it. So, I'd look for a TDi engine of some variant.

Sleeping mode
Setting up bedding every night is damn annoying so if I don't have to put my bedding away every morning, that's a huge plus for me. If I want to pull over for a quick hour nap w/o having to "setup" the bedding, that's what I'd aim for.

Security
I'm a proponent of keeping all of my junk inside the rig vs dangling out of the rear or on top. Thieves are always looking for an easy target and if they see a dirty van with rastafarian/Grateful Dead curtains on the windows with nothing on the outside, they'd likely to move on. Or, they just might knock on the door and ask for a bong hit!!

Safety
In the case of a mild roll over or a crash, I'd want everything inside secured that can become a projectile. I am not sure what to do with three dogs but having everything else neatly compartmentalized is a huge priority with me. How pissed off I'd be in the afterlife when I look down and watch myself surviving a roll over only to be beaned by a flying cast iron pan, LOL!!!

Inclement weather
When it rains, and you know this is going to be a regular event in Alaska, camping inside a tight quarter with three stinky mutts is not fun. To that end, I'd want a living space that can accommodate all four comfortably. Stepping over the dogs while cooking, bathing, or whatever just gets annoying. A rollout awning with the optional room addition would be a nice feature if the OP is planning on camping at one spot for a few days. You an have the choice of building the room with nylon mesh or solid panels for privacy. I vote for nylon mesh so the bugs stay out while lounge inside during the day with the pooches. I love my roll out awning from Ironman4x4 as it was inexpensive and can be deployed in less than five min.

What type of vehicle has all of these features, probably none. As we all know, it's all about compromising using the budget on hand. However, couple of vehicles come to mind: VW Eurovan or a Sprinter 118". I just love how the Eurovan does it when it comes to space saving. It has a shower, small kitchen, sleep on top while the dogs are on the bottom, easy to drive, decent on fuel. However, I question the engine/drivetrain reliability on a long trip like this. One break down and the entire trip's fuel budget may go down the crapper.

The Sprinter 118" maybe a good compromise. I'd buy a commercial van, gut it out, sound proof and insulate all panels, then build myself a cozy little studio inside it. The wheels are easy to find anywhere USA, probably can run on the crappiest diesel, could go with vege oil if so inclined, or just run on Bio if desired. You can find parts in any MBZ or Dodge or maybe even some Freightliner parts houses (not sure on that one). That engine is the bombdiggity in my book. It's quiet and pulls like a mule while sipping fuel. If a normal height isn't tall enough, perhaps go with the medium top? Not sure if I'd want a dually rear or not. Someone with more experience needs to chime in on dual rear tires. Furthermore, this van can fit in more parking and home garages in terms of height and length. The high top may not fit unless you have an eight garage door I'd venture to guess. The turning radius of these vans is awesome and with a set of Bilstein shocks they don't sway as much as one would expect. I drove a 140" and just couldn't believe how well it handled the turns. The one I drove was super quiet but it was a short test drive for me.

The OP is good with her hands and I bet she can build a nice nest inside the Sprinter for her and her pooches. I'd want a nice bed, with reading lights, LEDs everywhere, perhaps a solar panel on top to keep the house batts charged. Perhaps invest in a RV type of electric fridge (not three way), build some cabinets so that everything has its place. I have an Engel and I don't think I'd like to dig through it daily for my food. The upright RV Fridges with shelves are easy to work with and meant to be used daily, just like a home fridge.

I'd also invest in a Wabasto or a Espar hydronic heating system. Not sure if they make one that can both heat domestic water as well as heat up the engine coolant? I have a diesel Espar in the Kamparoo for space heating and it's great so IMHO this would be a worthwhile feature to look into. Additionally having one of those aerodynamic air conditioning unit that you see on tops of RVs would be a requirement for me. Sometimes it's just nice to pull over and catch a nap inside an air conditioned living quarter while it's blazing hot outside. You will refreshed and eager to continue on your journey. Besides, three pooches will need some cooling!

Now, we all know that when the travel bug hits, the OP ain't gonna just go to Alaska. If the rig is setup properly, I'm going to predict that she'll end up in Baja or even in Mexico and beyond :sombrero:

Anyway, just my .02 cents worth! :coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Love my Eurovans but there is no way you will touch any full camper or even a decent Weekender Eurovan in the OP budget.

If you are going Sprinter(which I aso own) you may as well get a big one. I don't see any advantage to the rare short 118" for a trip like this.

FWIW my 158" dually Sprinter gets much better mileage than my Eurovans.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Sprinters run on any fuel... Not from what I've heard. The guy we share a store front with is on his second Sprinter... He's had nothing but problems... The first was traded in for a deal so the could examine what wrong with it. The second was great for a few months till it started acting up the same. Turns out they didn't like the brand of diesel he was running. After extensive repairs, he switched to one of the other major chains, and so far so good. I've heard the same thing about Mercedies Smart car Diesels... The mechanics claim it's the North American diesel quality.

In contrast, I've had good luck with my 7.3 that's got 15,000+ hours on it. No fuel problems and its still running strong.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Yet there are 500,000-1,000,000 mile Sprinteres ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!

Mine is at almost 300k and runs perfectly.

Especially the 5 cyl Sprinters that are an evolution of one of the most reliable engines ever built. There are a countless number of insanely high mile Mercedes 5 cyl dieses. Which is the version the OP would be looking at in his budget!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I know Mercedies reputation for longevity, which is why I've looked into swapping one of the 5 cylinder diesels into my Fj40. I was quite surprised... I think it has been trouble with some of the pollution control stuff. His has had trouble with bogging, surging, and running rough. After years of fighting with Mercedies about fuel brand, he's given up. And has switched brands.

Sleam

Explorer
On a trip like this, the following attributes are important to me, after completing several cross country trips:

Anyway, just my .02 cents worth! :coffeedrink:

Yep, Ali, you got me there. Baja sounds good right now! And great full response. Much to think about all of you, I really appreciate the thought. I just need to really consider the needs, and yes, being set up to sleep seperately from dogs on a rainy afternoon as I read a book and drink a beer/ tea is a priority. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming if you have more! Or see anything too!
sleam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior