Off-Grid Camping- Solar Power/Wind Power- Ac, Heat, Fridge, Lights, Etc

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
That's the one I've been talking about... Dang it, the link to the manual several posts up isn't the right controller. I see now. So the "kit" controoler does 1/2 hour (Not 2 hours) at 14.4 "boost" voltage, 13.6 "float" and has no temp compensation. That sucks for an everyday solar setup.

So as per my first response: Skip the kit, buy good parts.
:)

The Renogy 100w suitcase I own includes a Viewstar vs1024N solar controller. Looking at it right now. According to the documentation included with the kit, this viewstar controller will boost charge for 120 minutes. It is temperature compensated, has a temp sensor on the controller and can use an optional remote temperature probe for more accurate temp compensation. I have the remote probe and there is a spot to plug it into the lower left side of the controller. Pretty solid kit, IMO. :)

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The solar suitcase comes with "VS1024N" controller which you link to earlier

That *I* linked to?

After looking at the manual from some link someone posted, I went to the Renogy site and noticed that the charge controller I was reading about , was not the same as the charge controller in the kit you linked to on Amazon.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
I want to build a slide in truck camper or a Very small camper to mount on a flat bed trailer that I tow my RamCharger on.

How small is small? Our 15ft truck camper has a reverse cycle AC, 255Litre fridge, electric HWS, induction hotplates and (of course) an espresso machine with grinder :) We don't carry a generator and rely on solar / alternator charging only. We squeezed 1200W of solar on the roof of the camper and use 400W of portable flexible panels when we're parked in the shade or need to supplement the main panels. Battery wise we have 300Ah @ 24v of Lithium batteries which is more than enough to run the AC all night.

AC: Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 2kw inverter split system that draws between 170 - 350W , our average consumption is around 200W on 36c days.
Fridge: 255 Litre samsung inverter fridge , average draw is 23W

If you don't have a lot of roof space for solar there are a few neat ideas i've seen such as Peter Manin's excellent :
panel_out-in.gif
(more detail at http://www.manins.net.au/motorhome/solar.html)

Or you could do what we've done which is mount the panels 100mm off the roof of the camper which provides excellent insulation as well as allowing an additional set of panels to be installed underneath using lockable drawer slides which you could deploy when parked. We haven't had the need to do this yet but its nice to know we could double our solar capacity if required in the future.

I think there are 4 key areas to address for an all electric RV -
1. First ensure the camper is well insulated to minimise the energy required to heat or cool the unit
2. Use the most energy efficient appliances you can afford
3. Generate as much power as you can with the limited space available (we're using LG Neons, 19% efficient, much higher than any 12v "rv" panels)
4. Efficiently store that energy for later use

Its not easy but if you address those 4 issues you can build an all electric rv that does what you want.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
If you don't have a lot of roof space for solar there are a few neat ideas i've seen such as Peter Manin's excellent :
panel_out-in.gif
(more detail at http://www.manins.net.au/motorhome/solar.html)

Or you could do what we've done which is mount the panels 100mm off the roof of the camper which provides excellent insulation as well as allowing an additional set of panels to be installed underneath using lockable drawer slides which you could deploy when parked. We haven't had the need to do this yet but its nice to know we could double our solar capacity if required in the future.

That is the slickest thing I have seen in a long time and very possibly something that I will add to my truck. Go any photos of your slide system? (Yes, I will shamelessly copy any good ideas!)

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Pretty neat huh! (Doctor) Peter Manin is one smart cookie!

No pics of our drawer slide idea as we haven't had a need for any more solar but

solar.jpg

basically we've just left enough space under the fixed panels to install a second set that would slide out from under the main panels. This would also help shade our windows, further reducing the AC load inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94