need new 88 GM 10 bolt 8.5 front axle outer hubs, anyone know where to buy?

1stDeuce

Explorer
165 ftlbs?? Ouch! The outer locknut shouldn't need that much torque to stay put, but I guess it won't hurt... Once the bearings have been seated by torquing the inner nut to 50ftlbs or so, then back it off completely and tighten using just your hand and the socket. From there, back the nut off one flat, and install the lock washer and outer lock nut, making SURE that the pin of the inner nut is properly located in one of the holes in the washer.

That should get you to just about zero preload on the bearings, and your hot hubs will go away. This method was in my old Chilton manual, and always worked for me. I do trailer bearings the same way, and I've never had a hot hub or bearing failure. If the bearings are tight and hot, then you ended up with too much preload on them. :)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
165 ftlbs?? Ouch! The outer locknut shouldn't need that much torque to stay put, but I guess it won't hurt... Once the bearings have been seated by torquing the inner nut to 50ftlbs or so, then back it off completely and tighten using just your hand and the socket. From there, back the nut off one flat, and install the lock washer and outer lock nut, making SURE that the pin of the inner nut is properly located in one of the holes in the washer.

That should get you to just about zero preload on the bearings, and your hot hubs will go away. This method was in my old Chilton manual, and always worked for me. I do trailer bearings the same way, and I've never had a hot hub or bearing failure. If the bearings are tight and hot, then you ended up with too much preload on them. :)

Exactly! To tell you the truth, I've never torqued front 4x4 wheel bearing hub nuts nor full floater rear axle hub nuts. Just go by feel and I've never had one work loose or burnt a bearing.

Rockhounder

Explorer
Well, final last time, took off the axle parts again to do a recheck on the hot side. The bearing inner nut, after removal of the outer and lockwasher, felt finger tight. So I thought, "ok, lets make it a little looser and see what happens"

unscrewed the inner nut two lockwasher holes over (about an eighth of a turn) and put everything back together.

That was the solution! drove around, and now that hub is as cool (slightly warm) as the left side. There really is a fine line adjustment between any preload, and no preload. I guess that just the amount of preload perhaps does something to prevent grease from doing its lube job on the roller bearings, or perhaps just that amount of constant pressure on the bearings heats it up more than can be normally dissapated.

98dango

Expedition Leader
It truly is a by feel kind of thing. It gets more so as parts get older and new machine work gets worse. I'm glad you got it handled now you can get it out and use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior