F150 VS F250

What tipped it for me is the similar mpg numbers of gas vs. diesel for a full size Ford. Also, the gas F250s I was finding got worse mpg than the diesels. I looked long and hard at F150s and GMC/Chevrolet 1500 half ton models. The F150s were all priced too high and had a bad history of spitting out spark plugs. I was not able to find a Chevrolet/GMC with the 5.3 motor and in good condition. The F250s had a full 6'5" long bed and the half tons had less than 6' beds. I am 6'1 and like to camp out in the back of the truck occasionally. In the end I found my current truck with 114,000 miles and it was priced at less than what the half ton gas trucks were priced at.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Glad to see I'm not missing anything other than size. I too think the CC is a bit on the longer side and would be leaning towards an extended cab SB which I think is a fair compromise in size (hopefully). I think that based on the strengths listed above, I'd be ok with a few pinstripes down the side :sombrero:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My take:

F150
+drives like a car, soft suspension
+you can go with the smallest v8 possible. The 4.6 is more than enough engine for the F150.
+fairly light
+decent mileage
-trailer rating is nonsense. Cargo capacity is weak. Add air bags for any towing or hauling IMO.
-IFS
-4x4 vacuum hubs fail and are expensive

F250
+will safely tow the 2 horses the OP mentioned
+solid one ton axles
+8' bed
+manual hubs and manual transfer case is pure beef
+5.4 is a decent engine. 300hp is plenty.
-5.4L cam phasers tick bad, REALLY FN BAD. Ford screwed up big time. I'd rather have the weaker old 3v 5.4L than the new more pwerful 3v one I'm stuck with.
-looks like a truck, drives like a truck

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im a Ford guy, and a diesel guy.

But with today's current diesel Ford offerings, Id go gas.

If I did go diesel, and have to dare I say..... go GM {shudder}

Under no condition would I ever suggest a Dodge.

What may I ask with is wrong with current ford diesel offerings is???
Im a Ford guy, and a diesel guy.

But with today's current diesel Ford offerings, Id go gas.

If I did go diesel, and have to dare I say..... go GM {shudder}

Under no condition would I ever suggest a Dodge.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I simply do not like any of the diesel engine options.

They have changed so much so fast that Id have trouble depending upon any of them.
The compexity of the motors, and the emissions related garbage doesnt help.
The fuel mileage out of the box is an absolute joke.

Above all, my simple cost benefit analysis simply doesnt pencil out.

Diesel as much more expensive than even premium unleaded, and the diesel truck MPG isnt enough to offset it.

SBF351

I'll start off by saying I'm a Ford Powestroke and Cummins certified tech and I work on diesel trucks every day. I drive an F150.

Don't by a diesel unless you have the tools, knowledge, time and space to work on it or you have the money and secondary vehicle to have it at the shop every now and then.

My 2004 F150 5.4 4x4 has a GVW around 7200lbs, not bad. It also rides like a car compared to a Superduty. I just hit 100k, in the past 60k I have put in 2 struts (quick lifts) and 2 shocks, throttle body, serp belt, brakes and tires. Thats it.
No high pressure oil issues, head gaskets, egr coolers, oil coolers, cam sensors, etc (6.0), no high pressure fuel pump, regen, radiators, thermostats, etc, etc, etc (6.4), no DEF, brakes at 30k, exhaust temp sensors, plastic fuel filter housings (6.7). Not to mention the $9,000 option to buy a diesel these days.

My next truck will be an ecoboost 150 or a raptor. My next company work truck will be another F550 7.3 4x4

If you're not working it regularly, skip the superduty unless you "need" to have solid axles, want to plow commercially or will be towing/hauling ALOT.
If you really want a superduty, I'd recommend a 5.4 if you're not going to work the truck and 6.8 if you're plowing, towing and hauling. Otherwise, get a newer 6.2 and you'll have the best of both worlds.
If you're set on a diesel, get a 7.3. Worst case a 6.0 or even a new 6.7 if its under warranty. Avoid the 6.4 like the plague.

If you have any questions about these trucks, don't hesitate to pm or email me.

Sorry about the rant...

Mike
SummitFleetServices@Yahoo.com

r3run33

Adventurer
have you looked inside a current F250 engine bay lately; it is so tight in there you would have to remove all sorts of stuff to do any type of work. Thanks for all that info stuff for the Vacuum 4WD thing. What is funny is that this system dates back to like the 90"s or something crazy Ford has not changed this. I don't want to hijack this tread with the IWF thing but it does relate to the truck you are looking for. Now for a daily driver you do know that the F250 is the most stolen vehicle in america? this will affect your insurance etc. just something to think about.

r3run33

Adventurer
hey SBF its not a rant if you actually own the truck; :) our not allowed to rant if you just sit at a computer and just put vehicles down just cause you don't like the brand :) I actually appreciate all the "REAL WORLD" people that actually own them. I got scared off of the Raptor cause they price was to high it was a Spec Ed super crew (truck to to popular right now) even used they are pricey. I will try to get pics of my friends raptor next time we go out riding

Jfresh

It is not the initial cost of the diesel that is going to be your problem it is going to be the cost of on going maintenance. 6.0 & 6.4 will empty your pocket book unless you are going to do all the maintenance and repairs yourself. Before purchasing a diesel to a cost to drive per mile analysis. Oil changes are expensive, fuel filters are expensive, sensors are expensive and if you ever loose a head gasket or turbo you will need to take out a second mortgage. That being said the 6.0 pulls like a beast.

The 5.4 F-150 is a work horse. You can beat on that truck and it will keep going and going. I probably put the hardest 135000 on my f150 and she was never on the hook or left me stranded. That being said I will never own a 1/2 ton truck again. They will do everything you ask it to do but it always seems like it is just never enough truck.

I personally have decided that I am never going to drive a truck out of warranty again. 10 year old trucks have to many parts and features and I found that my maintenance cost were almost as much as a truck payment so I choose to have a payment. I also like to keep everything I own in good condition and update on maintenance so if a window switch failed I would fix it $, new battery(s)(diesel) $$, ball joints $$, transmission $$$, head light bulbs $, etc. $$$. I just hated putting 2k into a truck that is only worth 15k to only have to put another 2K the following year.

rabbiporkchop

Adventurer
Avoid the 6.0 or 6.4.
f250 suspension is more durable Than the f150.
last good f250 would be early 2003 with 7.3 diesel
otherwise 2005+ f250 with gas engine is a reliable truck.

smlobx

Wanderer
Well since we're all giving our real world experiences let me share mine.
I owns construction company and own everything from a 4 cylinder Ranger (26 mpg) to a tandem Mack dump truck (5 mpg!!)

My daily driver used to be a 2006 F-350 cc SRW with the 6.0. We currently have about 132k on it and except for replacing the turbo at about 110k miles it has been very dependable. My wife actually prefers to ride in it on long trips due partly to the very long wheel base.

As has been said above maintenance is the key to dependability but I like to work on our trucks and have a lift to make things a bit easier. I'm currently getting about 16 mpg in mixed driving and can easily hit 20 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. This is with a stock truck (i.e. No tunes etc). This is actually better than the new Ecoboost F-150's are getting in real world situations plus I can tow 14K with my goose neck trailer.

I am hopefully going to retire in a few years and am seriously thinking of converting the F-350 into an explo rig...

Somebody mentioned the new Ram Ecoboost pick up. Well my new daily driver is a '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same Ecodiesel engine and I can tell you that that is one great engine...I'm averaging 26 mpg and get up to 32 mpg on the highway...and that's with a full time 4 wd rig. Oil changes are about every 10k miles but you have to use a specific oil...other than that it's fantastic! If jeep would make a pick up and stick that motor in it it would be one of the ultimate expo rigs!!

Last edited:

Wolvee

Adventurer
I love my shortbox F150 Supercrew but I wish I would have bought a 250 supercrew shortbox.

Actually I can do almost anything in the F150 as I could in the 250 but I wish I would have went newer and bought a second vehicle just for the overlanding. Trying to build a DD to also be an Adventure vehicle is less than a stellar situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles