F150 VS F250

cbking

I currently have my car up for sale and once it sells I'll be looking to get a truck and I am between a 150 and 250.

• F-150 2009+ 5.4 or 5.0? Anything wrong with the 4.6 are they worth buying?
  • F-250 diesel 2005+ 6.0 or a possibly a 6.4 if i can find on in my budget. I am aware of the issues and extra costs and issues of the diesel.
  • Would like a Extended cab long box for the most space and that it'll only normally be me and my GF and the dog in the truck.
  • Budget is around 17,500.

This would be my daily driver and also a camping rig it will also be pulling a two horse trailer after I graduate from school. I would like to put a topper on it and build a little sleeping quarters in there. I would really like to get some opinions on what other people think or there experiences.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
I think a f150 would work but I'm going to recommend the f250. Your goal is right at what a 150 can handle and as a rule in my life I always go one step bigger because 9 times out of 10 my load ends up bigger. You add a 3rd horse or get a great deal o. A little bit bigger trailer it just happens this way.

cbking

I am also leaning towards the f250 just trying to figure out if it is economical right now since I am about 200 some miles from home were I am at for school. Either truck will probably be just getting a leveling kit to start with and some slightly bigger tires.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have a 5.4 super duty 3" lift 35s and honestly it tows well. I have a 27 foot camp trailer that it tows I won't say with ease but I pass as much as I get passed. I also hall a 32 foot flat bed with a ramcharger and 2 quads often.
Yes it could use a little more juice but re gearing would fix that.
30103c01d0606a7bc3710d204c45546a.jpg

d29586792e610fe7c0d75e2dccc3ba64.jpg

cbking

I have a 5.4 super duty 3" lift 35s and honestly it tows well. I have a 27 foot camp trailer that it tows I won't say with ease but I pass as much as I get passed. I also hall a 32 foot flat bed with a ramcharger and 2 quads often.
Yes it could use a little more juice but re gearing would fix that.
30103c01d0606a7bc3710d204c45546a.jpg

d29586792e610fe7c0d75e2dccc3ba64.jpg

I just read through your build thread. Very nice looking truck.

mastersryan

Adventurer
I went with a 2013 F-150 screw cab 4x4 5.0 and here's why...

- cost less
- more interior room then the 250
- better mpg's
- I didn't need the bigger truck for everyday driving as my truck is my daily also.
- I don't tow much and when I do it's a tent trailer or a smaller trailer with quads.
- I also like the smoother ride/ almost drives like a large suv and not a rigid truck.

Both trucks are great and you will most likely be happy with either one.

cbking

What kind of gas mileage are you getting while empty?

Also curious if you guys could post this. I had a 2004 f150 that had some issues that I sold to buy the car because of driving to school and I am now regretting it.

98dango

Expedition Leader
The rare time it's empty I get 15 when it was stock driving from Breckenridge co to Moab UT I got 18.

The rare time it's empty I get 15 when it was stock driving from Breckenridge co to Moab UT I got 18.

I have a 6.0 Diesel in mine. It is stock, no chips, lift, modifications and running stock sized tires.

Just for comparison sake, I get 18 mpg when on the highway and pushing speed on the mountain passes. I get 20 mpg when I am taking it easy and keeping it closer to 70-75mph. When I am towing my brick of a travel trailer I get 11-13 mpg and 15-16mpg towing my Landcruiser on a car trailer. I always get 15mpg in town.

Kevin

Last edited:

cbking

As much as I want a diesel the more I think about it the more I want a 150.

Cons to the 150:
  • Load weight in the bed with trailer may get out of hand
  • Future upgrades more horse's/ bigger trailers
  • Not to keen of the IFS on the 150
  • less room in the bed for sleeping/living quarters
Pros to the 150:
  • Smaller/more comfortable for DD
  • better gas mileage
  • cheaper to maintain
not to sure what to do yet.

cbking

I went with a 2013 F-150 screw cab 4x4 5.0 and here's why...

- cost less
- more interior room then the 250
- better mpg's
- I didn't need the bigger truck for everyday driving as my truck is my daily also.
- I don't tow much and when I do it's a tent trailer or a smaller trailer with quads.
- I also like the smoother ride/ almost drives like a large suv and not a rigid truck.

Both trucks are great and you will most likely be happy with either one.

have you driven 2009+ 5.4 ? I am wondering on how the 5.4 drives vs the 5.0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94