earljuic3's 2002 Montero Limited Build Thread

earljuic3

Adventurer
After quite a bit of general maintenance on this truck I have finally starting it building it up for off-road use!

So far I have done:

- ABS accumulator
- AGM Battery (Bosch)
- New inner and outer tie rods
- All new ball joints upper and lower ball joints (front and rear upper)
- Stabilizer bar links (front and rear)
- Transmission flush and fluids
- New rear lower control arms
- New tensioner
- New tensioner and idler pulleys
- New plugs
- New wires
- New coil packs
- New Cam and Crank seals / o-rings (front and back)
- New timing belt and driveline belt
- New water pump
- New power steering pump
- New fan bearing
- New radio mast
- New valve cover gaskets
- New transmission sensors (all of them)

Aftermarket:

- OME HD suspension
- Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 285/75/R16's (5)
- LED interior / exterior light conversion
- New DeeZee floor mats front and back

I am waiting for my wheel spacers to arrive, should be installing them next week.

I also have ordered the AU Mitsu Pajero rear lifting bracket, it should be here around the 25th so I can get my spare mounted. (ordered from Mitsu dealer in AU)

I had to temporarily remove the outer trim off the fender/front bumper to keep the tires from rubbing.

Future Planned Mods:

- ARB front bumper
- Snorkel
- Cargo Basket and RTT
- High Jack with Mounting system
- Winch
- Possibly LED light bar at some point?? I haven't really gotten far enough to make any sort of plans for lighting.

I will try to take some better pictures next week once I wrap a few things up and wash it!

IMG_1521.jpg

Last edited:

Blighty

Gravel Bike Racer, Bushcraft Wannabee
Great looking Monty and with all that maintenance you must be looking forward to some great adventures.

earljuic3

Adventurer
@Blightly - we have 1 trip already planned out this year, we got a cabin in Blue Ridge, GA for a week in April. I am looking forward to exploring north GA for a few days!

cnutco

Adventurer
Nice GEN3! Long list of mods, as we all have. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earljuic3

Adventurer
Someone give me the tiniest nudge to take those factory running boards off! I think they need to go.....thoughts???

cnutco

Adventurer
I'm leaving mine on until I'm ready to put rock sliders on. I think they give some type of protection rather than none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhill15

Explorer
Sweet looking rig! Did your spare not fit on the tire carrier because of the height? Or was the width plus height? Also do you have a link to the rear lifting bracket?

Thanks man!

earljuic3

Adventurer
@jhill15 the tire was too "tall" it hit the bumper...I spoke with this gentleman on ebay (AU) citymitsubishiparts - on their ad it says they will not ship to the US but if you contact him he will make special arrangements for you.. Fair warning: you are going to pay around 100au to get it shipped here so total it will cost around 150. I talked to a local fab shop and they wanted slightly more to make one for me so I decided to just buy the actual mitsu part. I will take detailed pictures once it arrives!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENU...WHEEL-LIFTING-KIT-BRACKET-08-14-/261527697382

Eric M

Adventurer
If that's your truck, you have Discoverer ST Maxx tires, not AT3s. Also, did you get the tire size right? 285/85R16 would be a 35.

jhill15

Explorer
@jhill15 the tire was too "tall" it hit the bumper...I spoke with this gentleman on ebay (AU) citymitsubishiparts - on their ad it says they will not ship to the US but if you contact him he will make special arrangements for you.. Fair warning: you are going to pay around 100au to get it shipped here so total it will cost around 150. I talked to a local fab shop and they wanted slightly more to make one for me so I decided to just buy the actual mitsu part. I will take detailed pictures once it arrives!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENU...WHEEL-LIFTING-KIT-BRACKET-08-14-/261527697382
Thanks earljuic3. Yeah that is kind of expensive. Im gonna get some 265/75/16 on tomorrow so hopefully it will fit. Looking at my worn down spare thats on there now its really close to the bumper im just not sure.

Thanks again for the link

earljuic3

Adventurer
IMG_1527.jpg

@Eric M thanks for catching that, you are correct about them being ST MAXX, I just got my buddy a set of the AT3's so I had that on my mind when I wrote this... and the tire size is 285/75/R16.. :) definitely my truck btw

Last edited:

earljuic3

Adventurer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431282549.770535.jpg

Took the running boards off finally, installed a new front right CV axle yesterday. I recently replaced the stereo and rear sub will post pictures soon.

FullMonte

Adventurer
Hey earl! Good looking rig.. Kinda wish I had 16's wheels. I have 17's and it seems like they don't make the tires I want.. I wanted to ask u about the wheel spacer from Aus, did you get it yet?

ifixpc

Observer
I really like your ride.
I was thinking about reinstalling one of my running boards that came off while offroading, but now I'm actually considering removing the second one.

Have you had a chance to test your tires in mud or other conditions? Any feedback?
Can you also let me know why you went with 75's instead of 85's?
I think about getting 85's as they get you most ground clearance.

I can't wait to pick up a set of tires myself!

loremordred

Observer
Nice Montero...

I love how it looks. Your tires are primo, they look good on your rig.

You are giving me a nice checklist for my new 04 Monty.

Did you cut or modify your front fender/bumper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior