Opinions on ARB Kakadu?

FinalFrontier

Will be purchasing a RTT for the truck very soon and have been doing the necessary research to ensure I make the correct choice.

Have been looking at the Tepuis and CVTs, but also been looking at others- a couple that are a good jump above the others in price, but may be worthwhile to look at.

One I am interested in is the ARB Kakadu. Unfortunately, it seems like this tent has been a total bust or someone is going around the web whacking all the reviews about it, because I can't find any! I know it a new model, but other than the sales brochure put out by ARB, I can't find any information on it. Any of you have one?

I like that it is "made for warmer climates", as I plan on taking a trip down into the desert and into Mexico within the next year or so. (Still in planning) And it has a lower profile than other tents in its class.

For that same reason, I am also looking at the James Baroud Horizons tent. It is a good thousand dollars more than some of the others, but I like that there is no rainfly to deal with and the aluminized fabric seems like it would be great to have in the heat. I also like that it has a lower profile than the Tepuis and CVTs, as this will be on the roof of my truck.

Will be purchasing a RTT for the truck very soon and have been doing the necessary research to ensure I make the correct choice.

Have been looking at the Tepuis and CVTs, but also been looking at others- a couple that are a good jump above the others in price, but may be worthwhile to look at.

One I am interested in is the ARB Kakadu. Unfortunately, it seems like this tent has been a total bust or someone is going around the web whacking all the reviews about it, because I can't find any! I know it a new model, but other than the sales brochure put out by ARB, I can't find any information on it. Any of you have one?

I like that it is "made for warmer climates", as I plan on taking a trip down into the desert and into Mexico within the next year or so. (Still in planning) And it has a lower profile than other tents in its class.

For that same reason, I am also looking at the James Baroud Horizons tent. It is a good thousand dollars more than some of the others, but I like that there is no rainfly to deal with and the aluminized fabric seems like it would be great to have in the heat. I also like that it has a lower profile than the Tepuis and CVTs, as this will be on the roof of my truck.

Our Horizon tent is 100% waterproof and UV reflective. Also with our fabric it has 6 layers of aluminum in bedded into the fabric. This allows the tent to be breathable but still waterproof.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at craigd@jamesbaroudusa.com.

Thanks
Craig

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've not spent a night in the Kakadu but I have sold a handful of them and we have one or two in the shop (NIB). Zero complaints, just not nearly as popular as the Simpson II/III version tents that took the market by storm.

AL1

Observer
I bought the ARB Kakadu last November and have used it a couple of nights so far. This is my first roof top tent, so I don't have a lot of experience with them specifically, but I am very pleased with my purchase so far. I bought this tent for use here in texas where the temp can soar into the 110s during the summer months and nights aren't that much better. I liked the Kakadu because of the greater ventilation compared to the other options from ARB and Tepui. I have not had the chance to use the Kakadu in hot weather yet, but it has performed phenomenally in the cold weather. With the canvas zipped up, my wife and I were completely comfortable in the low 40s- high 30s which is pretty good for a texan. I have been very happy with the build quality and materials plus the ease of set up is very nice. After owning the Kakadu, I will never go back to ground tents again.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I bought the ARB Kakadu last November and have used it a couple of nights so far. This is my first roof top tent, so I don't have a lot of experience with them specifically, but I am very pleased with my purchase so far. I bought this tent for use here in texas where the temp can soar into the 110s during the summer months and nights aren't that much better. I liked the Kakadu because of the greater ventilation compared to the other options from ARB and Tepui. I have not had the chance to use the Kakadu in hot weather yet, but it has performed phenomenally in the cold weather. With the canvas zipped up, my wife and I were completely comfortable in the low 40s- high 30s which is pretty good for a texan. I have been very happy with the build quality and materials plus the ease of set up is very nice. After owning the Kakadu, I will never go back to ground tents again.

:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier