Goodyear Duratrac

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I picked up my new to me 1999 100 series today, I will do separate post on that tomorrow but it needs new tires. It has 315/75/16s on it now that I don't care for and want to replace them. I thought about going to a 17" rim but not sure. My question is has anyone run the duratrac on their 100 and if so what are some reviews? How's the tread wear? Also if you have a picture of your 100 with duratrac's please post so I can see what it might look like as well.

Thanks
:)

zimm

Expedition Leader
why wold you go 17's?

i had pinch flats on 16's. i think its a great tire, but its a commercial tire not an offroading tire. as long as airing down low isnt your thing, you cant do much better for an all rounder.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I was considering the 17s for increased tire options.

I went to discount tire today and they don't offer any 16" rims for the cruiser 5x1.5? I want some black steel or aluminum rims. The factory cruiser rims were plasti dipped and don't look good. I know I could peel it off but I don't want the polished aluminum look.

What are you guys doing for rims? Do you guys run an adaptor to 6x5.5?

Thanks

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Just want to add that discount did have 3 rims to choose from in a 17" size but they were ugly just want a plain Jayne black wheel. 18" rims provided more options for wheels but then tires jumped up in price.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I guess I'm not a big fan of large wheels on my travel rigs...seems that less sidewall, more expensive rubber, and having to special order tires would be a hindrance if the truck spends any time in remote locations.

Now...I do own a vehicle that needs 19" wheels to fit the brake rotors...but that's a different animal all together.

On my cruiser I'd just as soon be able to find a spare tire in any tire shop in Mexico....

-H-

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
17" is a very popular wheel size on smaller lighter Jeeps and on larger and heavier pickups, and as you stated, there is a wider variety of sizes to choose from. The difference in exposed sidewall between the two wheel sizes in tire diameters over 32" is hardly worth losing any sleep over. If you can find a 17" wheel you like for your application, go with the 17". In the two wheels you posted, I'd recommend going with aluminum for the weight savings. Several different companies make an aluminum wheel that is similar. As for the Duratracs, if you want to save a few bucks, the Kelly TSR has a similar, yet more blocky tread design with some siping built on the same Goodyear casing with savings between $50-100.00 per tire, depending on size. The Goodyear Fierce Attitude line is also built on the same casing with a M/T tread. You'll see a family resemblance in all three of the tread designs.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I see people going to a 18" Tundra take off wheel, is the back spacing on these ok? Do they bolt right up? Do certain year Tundra wheels work better than others?

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Lol yeah decided I still needed to have something in the garage to tinker on and wanted something a little bigger. The 100 is older then my JKUR and needs some cosmetic TLC but had a good maintenance history. I will post up a thread on it soon Frank and share more details but looking to change the shoes out first! :bike_rider:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Later 100 series came with 18" wheels, so 17" should be ok. But I'm going to stray from the herd and say don't go with Duratracs. They are a great looking tread pattern, and do well in snow, but I know of four different people (personally, not internet "friends") that have each lost multiple tires due to sidewall failures. If you are just using them as winter tires, great. If you want to use your truck in the bush or any rocky or shale terrain, I'd go with something else.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Considering these tundra wheels on Craig's does anyone know if they have the same or similar back spacing compared to the stock LC wheels?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles