Windows 8.1 and USB GPS.

swashbuckler

Hooligan
From a quick googling it appears to be more miss than hit getting 8.1 to recognize a USB GPS. Anyone successful in setting one up? What reciever and software?

libarata

Expedition Leader

swashbuckler

Hooligan
I am morally opposed to iDevices ;).

From what I'm reading, and maybe I'm just not reading enough yet, Windows 8.1 isn't playing well with external GPS devices. Hoping somebody has a device/software combo that they've managed to make work so I don't have to experiment.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I've actually talked with Windows 8.1 developers for tablets and they say that the software is not compatible with USB GPS devices, but it works great with Bluetooth GPS devices.

swashbuckler

Hooligan
^ Nice. The Q&A for that product gives me hope.

I've actually talked with Windows 8.1 developers for tablets and they say that the software is not compatible with USB GPS devices, but it works great with Bluetooth GPS devices.

Say anything about 8.1 for laptops? I'm leaning towards a touchscreen laptop over a tablet.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Say anything about 8.1 for laptops? I'm leaning towards a touchscreen laptop over a tablet.

Sorry, no, but you're welcome to ask the developers yourself. Go to Microsoft's website and ask their tech support about it. You'll probably get an answer in a day or two.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am morally opposed to iDevices ;).

From what I'm reading, and maybe I'm just not reading enough yet, Windows 8.1 isn't playing well with external GPS devices. Hoping somebody has a device/software combo that they've managed to make work so I don't have to experiment.

I like your style. I am morally opposed to icrap too! I have a Bluetooth GPS module from Ebay. Works great. I have had it connected to my asus vivotab with win 8.1.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
On my windows tablet, I am using maps pro. Works really good. I am not one to setup waypoints etc. I have a general idea where I am going before I go. I will just mark the branch routes and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior