Which year 4x4 donor truck for 1995 E350? And question about DRW SRW D70's..

rebar

Adventurer
All good points, the unit bearings & ball joint fail rate isn't as bad as what guys make it out to be. The unit bearings are easier to deal with and replace too.

They are good points.. The only reason I was considering a king pin is my mechanic prefers them. It his preference. And I imagine he would be rattling off why he prefers them if he was here now..

And I'm not in love with a D70HD. But upgrading to a D70u isn't worth it over a D60FF.. Cummins put a D80 behind the 5 speed manual.. That tells me my D60 isn't enough, along with it's carrier bearings remnants in my hand.

I asked all these questions to Chris b4 I did my conversion.

I ended up with the superduty axles. The kit is made for it so there's no custom pieces.

The later model 05+ sterling are 70wms I believe so that's close to the d70.

In 2001 the thread pitch on the superduty wheel studs changed, that's one thing to keep an eye on.

Like everyone has said, you can run the king pin axles with a custom build. Buy Chris' kit and superduty axles if you wanna have proven pieces and a straight forward installation.

Thanks.. Its slowly soaking in that a 99-04 would be better.. Is there any advantages one year over another in the 99-04 range years?

Thanks everybody!

nely

Adventurer
In the earlier superduty years there are a few axles know has Dana 50. Typically they where under f250. Ive heard they are weaker but I don't know the truth to that. There is an easy way to know the difference. There is a 3 digit letter cast into the webbing. 248 is Dana 60. I believe 259 is Dana 50. I honestly frogot after I found the 248 stamped on my axle.

Thread pitch on the wheel studs like I previously mentioned.

That's about all the differences I know about.

rebar

Adventurer
So Iv located both.. A 87 kingpin front axle from a F350. And a 99 BJ F350 D60.. And I bought a running 97 cummins 4x4 manual parts truck.

If I pick the 99 my mechanic will banish me, but sounds like its bolt on with Chris's kit. If I pick the 87 kingpin... Are there any other obstacles other than perch width a bit narrower?

I wish I could find a example. But maybe that's a clue..

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
That 99 axle is most likely a D50, unless it came from a DRW truck. Did it?

Why will your mechanic banish you for the 99-04 axle? He's that scared of ball joints & unit bearings?!?!? :)

rebar

Adventurer

No its a single rear wheel. I better get a BOM even though the owner says its a D60.

Isn't a DRW D60 front axle different than a SRW D60? I'm reading it's only the hubs which need changed from drw to srw, on the front axle..

Why will your mechanic banish you for the 99-04 axle? He's that scared of ball joints & unit bearings?!?!? :)

I dont think he's scared of anything. He wont do the work if I get a BJ D60. He's more of a skilled acquaintance, than a mechanic

Last edited:

505live

I found a 2003 6.0L truck getting parted out not that far away, has 120K on it. What parts would I want from this truck to convert a 1995 E350 (airstream B190) using Chris's 6" kit? What is a fair price for said parts? I assume wheels, axles. Not sure if the transfer case is manual or electric?

rebar

Adventurer

Yeah see now that might change things.. Iv been dismissing DRW trucks because the front axle is wider I believe. Now I see swapping hubs can turn it into a srw. Not sure of the cost though..

I found a 2003 6.0L truck getting parted out not that far away, has 120K on it. What parts would I want from this truck to convert a 1995 E350 (airstream B190) using Chris's 6" kit? What is a fair price for said parts? I assume wheels, axles. Not sure if the transfer case is manual or electric?

$500 for the entire truck :sombrero: That's what I paid for my 97 12v

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
No its a single rear wheel. I better get a BOM even though the owner says its a D60.

Isn't a DRW D60 front axle different than a SRW D60? I'm reading it's only the hubs which need changed from drw to srw, on the front axle..

I dont think he's scared of anything. He wont do the work if I get a BJ D60. He's more of a skilled acquaintance, than a mechanic

The only difference is the DRW adapter and the unit bearings have a different stud. Since you'll want to replace the unit bearings anyway just get some for a SRW.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

Just the axles, front sway bar. Front shaft can be used as a core, it will need to be modified but will save some $.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Yeah see now that might change things.. Iv been dismissing DRW trucks because the front axle is wider I believe. Now I see swapping hubs can turn it into a srw. Not sure of the cost though..

$500 for the entire truck :sombrero: That's what I paid for my 97 12v

Generally speaking the only difference in the front axle is the dually rim adapter and the studs, as Chris mentioned. But there is a Super 60 floating around, model year spread escapes me, but it came on the 450/550 series and is 6" wider than a standard dually type D60. I'm guessing the same issues would apply about remvoing the adapter and the studs, but couldnt swear. Chris probably could. Easy to spot, at least on the '08-'10 model years I' m familiar with, because its 10 bolt vs 8 bolt.

Odds are it wont be of concern while you're looking because they're pretty rare to find laying around, and when you do they're gold plated.

My rambling point is for you to just be aware. Besides making sure you're getting a D60 and not a D50, make sure you're getting the right D60.

rebar

Adventurer
Generally speaking the only difference in the front axle is the dually rim adapter and the studs, as Chris mentioned. But there is a Super 60 floating around, model year spread escapes me, but it came on the 450/550 series and is 6" wider than a standard dually type D60. I'm guessing the same issues would apply about remvoing the adapter and the studs, but couldnt swear. Chris probably could. Easy to spot, at least on the '08-'10 model years I' m familiar with, because its 10 bolt vs 8 bolt.

Odds are it wont be of concern while you're looking because they're pretty rare to find laying around, and when you do they're gold plated.

My rambling point is for you to just be aware. Besides making sure you're getting a D60 and not a D50, make sure you're getting the right D60.

Thanks Tgreening.. I ramble to..:drool: That drw to srw , even though doable , would cost more in the end but good to know. Any guess on how much? so I can subtract that making a offer?

I couldn't find much info on the super 60 in a E350. The super 60's I did see, had low gear ratio for larger wheels, and the 10 lug is a deal breaker. But your saying replacing the dually rim adapter and the studs might solve the width and bolt patern?

I'm really tempted to use the rear D80 I own from the 97 cummins.
8x6.5" , 70" wms, the perch's need widened but no idea on the parking brake or diff/tank interference.

The 8x6.5 is another reason to use a kingpin.

Yeah, I found a few axles, but the 4 hr drive's puts a damper on it.. I think I found a kingpin local and I'm a bit reassured its doable after finding more than one kingpin/E350 example on the net.. I just wish someone had a detailed build log using one so I knew exactly.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Verify all measurements on any D80 DRW truck axle, I mocked up a Ford D80 DRW and it would't fit the E series. Brakes hit the springs.

rebar

Adventurer
Verify all measurements on any D80 DRW truck axle, I mocked up a Ford D80 DRW and it would't fit the E series. Brakes hit the springs.

Thanks. Do you remember the wms measurement of that ford drw D80?

My 97 cummins is SRW D80 rear (dodge hybrid) so hopefully it might fit. If my 97 wasn't snowed into a Iowa corn field.. Id be all over it. I really need to move outta suburbia and build and live in a machine shed .

He's a stubborn acquaintance. Haha

He sure is.. Get him started on ball joints, and I hope you have a hour of spare time

Last edited:

505live

Just the axles, front sway bar. Front shaft can be used as a core, it will need to be modified but will save some $.

Sounds good, I'll see if the guy still has it this next week. I'll be in touch once I actually take delivery of the B190, there were a few details I wanted the owner to address before the final purchase. After that my 2003 7.3L E350 EXT (120K) will be on the market, going to use the $$ from that to cover as much of the 4wd conversion as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier