Thinking of a Lexus GX 470

JLee

Adventurer
I've got an '08 and really, really like it. I do kind-of wish I'd looked hard for one with KDSS, but that seems pretty rare, especially later in the model years, and I wanted tan interior, which narrowed down my options even more. At some point (2005 or 2007?), they added VVT to the V8 and moved to a 5-speed transmission, both of which were important to me when deciding on model year.

I've had the truck for five months now and it's great on the road around town or hauling to the trailhead and it's really a joy offroad. I actually like the idea of the airbags in the rear, as they level off the back when I load all my camp gear in it. (My Grand Cherokee sagged pretty badly with all the camp gear and ended up hitting the bump stops a lot). I also thought the shock dampening adjustment was a gimmick, but I do find myself turning the knob now and again due to San Diego's poor roads. Coming from a Jeep with traditional 4-Low and a rear locker, I was skeptical of ATRAC, but the system works and has gotten me up and over rough-ish terrain without a hitch.

Aftermarket support isn't like other vehicles. The important bits are around, however. Skids can be had... just find ones made for the 4th-Gen 4Runner with a V8. I have Bud Built on mine though the gas tank and transfer case skid don't quite line up. Rock sliders are available too, though as noted, models with KDSS will be more of a custom job. Suspension options abound for the front, due to commonality with other Prado 120 trucks. The rears can be converted to coilovers (a couple shops make kits to do so) or the airbags can be tricked. I'd shy away from the airbag trick though. Front Runner makes a nice slim roof rack, as does someone else, which looks nearly identical except the tee-slot slats run parallel with the care rather than Front Runner's perpendicular ones.

Be prepared for some weird looks and comments from some Jeepers and full-size truck drivers out and about though! If only they knew what a Land Cruiser Prado was!

The 5 speed auto arrived in 2004 and VVT-i arrived in 2005. 2007 had the (5th gen) navigation refresh.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I wish I was in the market. Not the right time for me. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior