LR3 shock valving

zelatore

Explorer
With all the weight of armor and gear, my LR3 comes in north of 7000lbs.

This combined with running lifted (Johnson rods) means I'm running a lot of air pressure/spring rate. The net effect is that of having worn out shocks - the truck is simply under-damped.

I recently replaced my rear air struts, not because of a leak but because of this under-damped/tired shock feel. I was hoping that with >100K miles on what appeared to be the original struts a fresh set of OEMs would solve this issue but it didn't. (I hadn't weighed the truck at that point and didn't realize just how heavy it had gotten)

I had been thinking of trying the Koni FSB struts, but since they aren't sold in the US I would have had to import them and the expense and hassle got the better of me so I went OEM-manufacturer on the struts. Now I'm wondering if shouldn't have sucked it up and done the Konis.

But regardless of that, how have others dealt with this? I'm not the only person running a 'full figured' LR3, so I'm sure plenty of you have the same issue. Do you just live with it? (it's not that bad, but it's certainly noticeable) Have you found another work-around or solution?

If this were a traditional suspension, I could dial up an number of aftermarket shock companies and have done with it. But short of throwing cubic $$$ at them I don't think that's an option here.

Thoughts?

psykokid

Explorer
Dont you love the joys of having two options - Stock and Unknown Quantity with the FSD's.. You've probably already tried but - have you attempted to contact Koni UK/Europe to see if you can get the valving for the FSD shocks? FWIW Koni USA should have it on file as the kit was sold here in the US for quite some time. They probably stopped stocking them here due to the lack of orders. I can only remember one guy that was on LRR forums that had swapped from stock dampers to the Koni FSD units.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
That guy was a JZ-IS-FISHING and that was in 2011.I don't know if he is still 'around", but do know that he purchased a KONI FSD 2100-4069 Shocks, that were designed specifically for LR3. He got them from 1XRACING.COM. Don't know , if they still have them , but give them a call and see what they say.
Cheers.

psykokid

Explorer
That guy was a JZ-IS-FISHING and that was in 2011.I don't know if he is still 'around", but do know that he purchased a KONI FSD 2100-4069 Shocks, that were designed specifically for LR3. He got them from 1XRACING.COM. Don't know , if they still have them , but give them a call and see what they say.
Cheers.

IIRC, he was still around. He had his LR3 up for sale on LRR forums a while back. Not sure if he sold it or not. He moved to the land of gators, humidity and old people a few years ago and took his toys with him. You might be able to send him a PM on the LRR forums or perhaps Brenton or someone on the BOD may have his cell#. I think he was a member of NCLR when he was living in the bay area.

zelatore

Explorer
Yes, there's also a guy in the Austin area who has a set I believe. I recall seeing the LRR thread from a few years ago but it sort of dead-ended.

I don't know if I'll actually order them or not - I just replaced the rear stuff about a month ago and have new fronts still in the box waiting to go in. I know I can get them ordered through a vendor in England but it's just more hassle for an unknown.

If only I had my new garage and lift to play in instead of working in the drive or Justin's shop...of course building a new shop might not be the most cost or time effective way to do suspension mods. It would be satisfying.

It sounds like the Konis are the only option out there then? It's the only thing I've heard of myself; just wanted to check to see if anybody had heard of anything else.

Thanks!

no-pistons

Adventurer
Just FYI, Bilstein also makes a set of their mono-tube shocks for the LR3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

psykokid

Explorer
Don, I'd call bilstien and see what they say. They list these:

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/24-136709/190466/4WD

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/24-136716/190466/4WD

Which are the standard bilstein monotube shocks which they can modify to whatever spec you need.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/search-service/service/

You'd be looking at $100 bucks a corner to have them re-valved to your specs. You'd more than likely need to corner weight the truck to see how much weight is going down on each corner and go from there.

Last edited:

unseenone

Explorer
I'm the guy in the Austin area that has a set of Koni. I ordered them through the US Manufacturer rep. Still running them, so far so good. Any questions feel free to Pm me.

brickpaul65

Adventurer
I'm the guy in the Austin area that has a set of Koni. I ordered them through the US Manufacturer rep. Still running them, so far so good. Any questions feel free to Pm me.

Sorry but I am not mechanical at all. Is this still using the airbags but changing the strut?

unseenone

Explorer
Yes, as no-pistons says. You can rebuilt the air strut, install new seal kit, and replace the damper (shock). I know a place that could do it for you if you wanted to ship them, but I am sure most above average shops could handle it. A lot of folks do use the Bilstein in the UK. The Koni are a bit softer off roading than the factory struts, but are the most expensive option.

zelatore

Explorer
The Bilstiens are an interesting option; I didn't know they would do custom valving. Looks like they sell for a little over $200/ea, so that would be $300/ea with the re-work. I'll have to keep this in mind; I don't think I'll even bother installing the new stock front struts I have at this point. Now it's just a matter of finding time to actually do the work/research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online