Trailer wheels to Jeep Ravines

IdahoLJ

Hey Gents,
I have a home built trailer with 5 on 4.5 wheels that I am hoping to get a set of Jeep Ravine wheels on (also 5 on 4.5) . I currently have Ravines on my '06 Lj and would love to not carry a trailer spare. So i picked up a set of Ravines on CL and took them down to the local tire shop that specializes in off road tires and is willing to discuss spacers/adapters as I thought that was route I would need to go.
We initially were looking at the 1/4" spacers, stacking a few but with the backspacing being around 5" on the ravine it would take so many to it just wasn't safe. So then he suggested the large aluminum adapters but with them being custom built to fit over the trailer axle and the measure 3" thickness they are coming in at over $300!
Last suggestion presented to me was the local machine shop who will bore out the hole on the Ravines to fit on the larger trailer axle. He does it often and the price is $40 per wheel. I guess I would need to have the spare on the Jeep done as well in order to be a spare for the trailer.
Am i missing something here? Is there a better suggestion? I would appreciate any help or guidance..

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I wanted to use my Jeep's spare as my trailer's spare too, because I hated having all that extra dead weight of a 2nd spare. Instead of boring out 7 wheels to fit around the trailer hubs, I bought a pair of wheel spacers machined specifically for mounting Jeep wheels on a trailer axle.

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Cheapest way would be to get a brand new axle with the correct pattern and also to get it the right width to eliminate the need for spacers

IdahoLJ

Cheapest way would be to get a brand new axle with the correct pattern and also to get it the right width to eliminate the need for spacers

Guys thank you for the responses. Just to be clear, the axle I have is the correct bolt pattern. The problem is the axle diameter is greater that the center hole on the Ravine. Ravine wheel is hub centric , axle is lug centric. The ravine wheel won't pass onto the axle. I was under the impression that ordering a new trailer axle would just put me in the same boat. Maybe I don't understand, can a trailer axle be ordered hub centric? How do figure out the appropriate width? Thanks

nnnnnate

Adventurer
What axle do you have? I just ordered one for my trailer build and the dexter hubs (and clones like mine) are supposed to need only 1.75-2" spacers. I'm using the stock JK wheels. I guess that is all theoretical because I haven't checked the fittings yet. I ordered SpiderTrax the other day and they are being delivered today, I'll be testing the fit tonight.

I went through the same thing on my local forum about boring out the wheels to fit over the hub and decided I just didn't want to do it. I do a 5 tire rotation on my Jeep and it just wasn't worth it to me to have only one spare for the trailer and Jeep. If my spacer plan doesn't work like I hope it will I might bore them out though. I got my spacers in the "scratch and dent" section on SpiderTrax for $89.

dstock

Explorer
Guys thank you for the responses. Just to be clear, the axle I have is the correct bolt pattern. The problem is the axle diameter is greater that the center hole on the Ravine. Ravine wheel is hub centric , axle is lug centric. The ravine wheel won't pass onto the axle. I was under the impression that ordering a new trailer axle would just put me in the same boat. Maybe I don't understand, can a trailer axle be ordered hub centric? How do figure out the appropriate width? Thanks

You are correct, the hub centric jeep wheels will not fit over the Dexter hubs. You need spacers, I went with 2 inch and the center section is bored out to clear the Dexter hubs, there is more info in my trailer build thread in my sig. Some have gone with 1.75 inch and then beat the axle dust cap smaller to fit. I got mine at adaptitusa.com

I don't believe the Spidertrax spacers will work as the Jeep versions are hub centric also.

croix

Observer
I don't believe the Spidertrax spacers will work as the Jeep versions are hub centric also.

I can attest to this. I used the 1.5" Spidertrax and had to have the centers milled. The only part that had to be milled out was the hub centering part on the very outside of the spacer. They are no longer hub centric but I don't really care. Lug centric works fine - just remember to tighten in a star pattern.
I also had to "gently massage" (hammer) the dust cap. The only reason I had to hammer the dust caps was to fit the Jeep center caps.
-croix

XJINTX

Explorer
I had the same issue. I just had 3 rims machined out to fit. It was not a of material. Now I can carry just the one spare. The machined out rim for the spare should not be an issue if I have to use on my XJ.

IdahoLJ

I so appreciate you guys taking the time to post. My mechanical thinking and skill are something I'm developing so please let me know if you see fault in my thinking.
I"m going to post some photos to show my situation and thinking, hopefully it will help others as I can see this is a common issue.

Here are the two wheels I'm dealing with. The trailer wheel is top Ravine on the bottom. Note the grease cap wont fit the Ravine hole.
wheels5.jpg

Here is the trailer wheel, measure tire to mounting point at about 4.25"
wheels2.jpg

Jeep Ravine tire to mounting point 6"

From the axle mounting point to Trailer is 5.25" ( had to subtract spring bolt in top left of photo)
wheels6.jpg

Here is one last photo of my trailer hub assembly.
wheels1.jpg

Im thinking a spacer of 1.75" would put me out far enough and a smaller or manipulated grease cap should fit. Does this seem right? Is it what you would choose or do you need more info?

SamM

Adventurer
I had to use 2" spacers on my Timbren suspension to fit JK Rubicon wheels to my Schutt trailer. My spacers were purchased from Adaptit.com. The center holes in the spacers are big enough to fit over the Dexter electric brake hubs that I am using on my build. The 2" spacers would work better than the 1.75" that you are looking at. The spacers and machine work will add up to more than the proper spacers. You only want to buy these once so, do it right the first time or you will spend twice the money. If I remember, my spacers were around $170. No issues!

SamM

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
New axle.....90usd

V's

messing with spacers

Or cut and shut the trailer axle to make it longer,,,,depending on your skills

You may also find that along with the backspacing issue the physical diameter of the trailer HUB, may or maynot go through the wheel center...

quick fix to turn out the center hole in the wheel to suit the hub OD

nnnnnate

Adventurer
My Spidertrax spacers came on Friday and they centers were too small for the 3500# hub as already mentioned. I had a friend machine them out for me while I was over having him drill my receiver tube. After getting home and mocking up the suspension I found that I ordered the axle too narrow for the frame I built. Stupid math. I'm working on a solution on that now, trying to decide best course of action for my goals. This was my first big hangup on the trailer which I am surprised about. Good luck.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
My Spidertrax spacers were too thin (I think 1.25") and not large enough in the center to fit over the trailer hubs. I had them machined out to fit the trailer hubs. Then the wheels were still not going to fit. IMHO the trailer hub through the wheel looks like crap and defeats the purpose of a matching wheel. I like the JEEP center caps being present. You need at least a 2" thick spacer for most Jeep wheels to fit. I am going 2.5" to ensure I don't have any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94