Recommend a charcoal BBQ for travel

Higbean

Observer
I need to break down and get a BBQ for taking with me. What should I be looking to get? Webers Smokey Joe looks ok. Anything better?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Ask Diplostrat - he is a confirmed charcoal griller... who just added a propane grill to his rig because of all the no burn rules that seem to be popping up everywhere these days!

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Volcano stove. Burns wood, charcoal, or gas. when it is in the stowage configuration is it about 8 inches tall and as round as a large pizza pan. It fits in a lot of places... can be used as a grill or as an oven with a dutch oven. Covers a lot of bases. love mine.

http://www.volcanogrills.com/

[video=youtube;1qSg-QzZINs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1qSg-QzZINs[/video]

dlh62c

Explorer
Volcano stove. Burns wood, charcoal, or gas. when it is in the stowage configuration is it about 8 inches tall and as round as a large pizza pan. It fits in a lot of places... can be used as a grill or as an oven with a dutch oven. Covers a lot of bases. love mine.
http://www.volcanogrills.com/

I've used mine quite a bit. But its the dirtiest thing to have to pack and transport.

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Snow Peak Fireplace

Snow Peaks Pack & Carry Fireplaces are sturdy, compact and have a variety of cooking and grilling accessories available. They come in three sizes and they fold flat for easy transportation and cleanup.

Here's my medium.
IMG_1944-L.jpg

huachuca

Adventurer
Our Son of Hibachi has been around since my college days (early 70's) and is still our 'go to' charcoal grill when camping. Its compact (17x10x5 closed), indestructible (mostly cast iron), performs in windy conditions (fold one side partially over), lights quickly (grill acts a a chimney starter), has multiple height adjustments, cleans up easily and has enough grill surface (170 sq in) for two. Supposedly, you can close it after use and save the charcoal but I've never had much luck with that - maybe the 'snuff bag 'which I don't have helps with this. It is fairly heavy at around 15 lbs. I started using coconut shell charcoal last summer and really liked it but its no longer available at our local Lowes store.

I also have a complete Cobb set up that does a great job for roasts, beer can chicken, stir fry, steamed veggies etc but not so much for steaks, burgers, chops or dogs.

kpredator

Adventurer
Guys you should check out grilling baskets we have one for steaks,fish and another deeper for grilling
Veggies,taters. We keep them along side our camper out of the way.to clean leave on the coals and brush off
The charred food.
Very simple and easy to transport.

Jm2c
Kp

RagnarD

Adventurer
I am a big fan of the Smokey Joe. Only drawback is that they are a bit bulky.

I use mine for grilling, smoking, heating up water, and as a fire pit.

i-vMzjwVL-L.jpg

Wilbah

Adventurer
Make your own
cf86d551d7698fea2d2d60e75e085035.jpg

vati- I like the simplicity of that....what thickness of metal did you use? Weight? Dimensions (ballpark is fine) etc? Thanks! I would thin you could put tabs on it to hold a grill in place as well (or just make it slightly smaller than the grille so it holds it okay but still lays perfectly flat when broken down).

vati kaki

Observer
Would use atleast 4 mm metal.Mine is paked away ,but best to just make a templete out of a box to c what size will store easy in ur truck ,trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles