Long Time Jeep Guy Brings a Land Cruiser Home

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Well let me introduce myself, my name is Corey and I have owned a Jeep since I was 16 years old. I have had five over the years and been happy with them over the course of that time. I wont bore Toyota people with my Jeep history, but my last one was an extremely well built 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with 37” tires, gears, aftermarket axles and of course tons of other goodies. After our second child I discovered two things about my current Jeep, one it was set up for more extreme off roading and two, it lacked the interior comfort and size I now needed. On a side note I also had a lot of money tied up in my jeep which was paid off and wanted to free up some cash to pay off my daily driver and put toward my new endeavor. I have friends who have/had toyotas and know their capabilities. So when I went looking for a new ride I had two vehicles in mind the Toyota Land Cruiser and (dont yell at me) the Land Rover LR3. The LR3 ended up falling off the list when I couldn't get past the maintenance issues and the air ride suspension made me nervous and did not sound appealing. This is not a daily driver and will be used for my camping trips as well as exploring the back contry. So here is what I got…

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser
Dark Green "imperial jade mica"
200,000 miles (all maintenance paperwork)
Factory Rear Locker
Third row seats

The following also came on the vehicle…
OME 2.5 Lift
Fox 2.0 shocks
TJM Bumpers front and rear
Fearless rocker guards
Warn 9000 winch
ARB front locker w/compressor
Gobi Roof Rack w/ladder
315/75/R16 New Goodyear Duratracs
OEM LC Snorkel
Scan Gauge II
Doug Thorley Cat Back Exhaust
Rearview Camera
Kenwood stereo w/bluetooth
Remote Start and Alarm

I had to go 500 miles to go get it and drive it home. It drove fine with the exception of the tires, they rode really rough (a Procomp MT) hence the new Goodyears I got when I got home (thats how bad the old ones were). The car was dirty inside when I bought it and it needs a good cleaning but nothing I cant handle. The driver seat had been redone so all of the leather was good. I took it to Toyota the day after I got home and had a full check up done and the oil changed. The only things Toyota found were the front brakes needed to be done and the upper and lower radiator hoses were going bad. I had these items taken care of and also had the coolant system flushed. The paperwork that came with the vehicle showed the timing belt, water pump and belts and pulleys were done at 189,000, so that was good. I washed/waxed the outside and cleaned the windows. Will do a full inside cleaning when time permits. So far I am loving it and the power of the V8 is amazing.
Here are some driveway pictures because thats all I have so far. I have a camping trip planned soon and will get more.

On my “to do” short list is, some floor mats, LED lights on the rack and a new Diehard battery.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

nlscooby

Observer
Corey,
Congratulations - I actually spoke with you about your Jeep when it was for sale. It was a beautiful rig! Funny enough I too picked up a Land Cruiser (a 2008 200 Series) but she's bone stock - for now.

Your new 100 series is a good looking and well appointed rig! Nice find!

TXLX

Observer
Looks like a keeper. Good job on joining the dark side. You'll be pulling jeeps out in no time!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Sweet! I also ditched a built Rubicon ('11) in favor of a '99 UZJ100. Same OME suspension, locker, and mine came with brand new Swampers, but I sold them and bought BFG ATs. Mine is my 8th Land Cruiser though. I've dabbled in Jeeps twice (both Rubicons) but TLCs are 10x the truck. Congrats on the new ride!

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I am digging the rear bumper but I would love to have the rear tire swing out. It has a spot for a swing out, must have been an option but did not see anything on their web site.

brentbba

Explorer
Welcome over from the dark side (Jeeps) :victory: to the wonderful world of Landcruisers! You look like you've found a beautiful hundy! Nice mods already done too!

Bought my 80 back in '94 when my kids were too big to both sit in the one seat I had available in a Miata! Not safe I know, but it was a 1 mile ride from day care to our house in neighborhood streets. Bought my Landcruiser at that point and I haven't looked back since then! 20+ years later lots of the same mods as you already have on your new truck! Very nice indeed.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Nice score on the hundy! My favorite color in those also, goes so well with black. Also good to see another New Mexican on the Cruiser board! Welcome:sombrero:

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Thanks again everyone for the complements! It does have a great look however it seems to sit just even or a little lower then the front and that's going to bug me so I am going to pull out the paperwork that came with the LC and see what rear springs they put in. May have to put in a spacer or go to a HD spring.
Today before work (I work afternoons) during the babies nap time I was able to remove all the stickers the PO had put on the windows and such as well as remove the horrible wiring job to the lights that WERE on the roof. The PO told me he had it park at the mall (no pun intended) and someone came by and cut the wires and stole his LED lights on the front of the roof rack. With the old wiring gone this is my next project, ordering switches and martials as we speak. I am thinking about two rearward facing 6" LED light bars on the back of the rack and two forward facing 12" LED light bars on the front of the rack. After that some other kind of LED lighting on the hatch when its lifted up.

More to come, but I don't think it ever ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke