ball joint recommendations?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
On my 2001 E350 I need ball joints, all four. Please suggest a place (link) that has the best pricing and quality please.
I can't afford to do this twice atm...

Thanks everyone!

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
MOOG Part #K8608T: Problem Solver; Front Upper, $26.79 each
MOOG Part #K80197: Problem Solver; Front Lower, $28.79 each
www.rockauto.com
Problem Solver is Moog's redesigned line with improvements. They're greasable parts and in this case have a perforated bearing so grease can flow through it. I like them.

stormlover

Adventurer
ball joint info

I posted this in a ball joint thread on the SMB forum after spending way too much time on researching ball joints. If you only want to do it once the King is the rebuildable Dynatrac. If you ever have to rebuild them at all but it's not uncommon for a 10,000 lb to go through 2 or 3 sets of ball joints in less than 100,000 miles.

The cost of Moog ball joints on Moog-Suspension-Parts.com - A Dealer of the Federal Mogul Brand of Suspension Parts is slightly less than half than the Dynatracs at ~$250. Amazon or Rock Auto is much cheaper. The reputation and apparent quality of Moog has gone downhill in recent years.

NAPA balljoints have a life time warranty. They are apparently made by Spicer (DANA). The only difference between NAPA and Spicer may be just that the Napa is greaseable. It would be interesting to know if it is made for NAPA to higher spec. As an OEM replacement the the NAPA ball joints are highly regarded by the off-road Baja racing crowd. They are made in Taiwan.

XRF gets rave reviews on the Dodge truck forums but are made in Taiwan. However, you can pick up the set for $125 from The Tire Club ... _KITS.html

The results on XRF are mixed and are really not a premium ball joint like Dynatrac.

These were the NAPA part numbers and prices for my application (3005 E350 with a dynatrac front axle) which is the same for an F series truck.
2601395 lower $72.99 ea.
2601248 upper $47.77 ea.

Spicers are a bit cheaper at ~$65 per side.

I ended up going overkill and getting the Dynatracs. USA designed and manufactured and they will probably outlive the life of my van. Otherwise, I probably would have gone with the NAPA joints over the spicers and avoided Moog altogether.

Hope that helps:coffee:

gwittman

Adventurer
It is my understanding that Raybestos, Spicer and Napa are basically all the same. I bought Raybestos Professional grade from RockAuto and was pleased with the price and quality. They are grease-able. You should be able to find a 5% discount code for RockAuto also to save a little more. They do have the MOOG problem solver but I have no experience with them. I know the lower grade Moog ball joints have a bad reputation but I would imagine the lower grade Raybestos would not do as well either.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Hrmmm...
you've got me thinking, I'll be buying them from amazon to save money. but wasn't aware that moog had taken a downward spiral. And my friend who is a 25 year experienced mechanic thinks napa's parts aren't worth the money.
How about FoMo ball joints? Worthy or not?

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The Raybestos premium line is FAR better than that of the Moog.

I gave up on Moog years ago. Boots always rot/tear/pop off.

The Raybestos boots are far better quality and are crimped on.

MOOG

K80196_ANG__ra_p.jpg

Raybestos

5051192-4__ra_p.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Hrmmm...
you've got me thinking, I'll be buying them from amazon to save money. but wasn't aware that moog had taken a downward spiral. And my friend who is a 25 year experienced mechanic thinks napa's parts aren't worth the money.
How about FoMo ball joints? Worthy or not?

The ball joints on my F-450 have almost a 100k on them and they've just shown signs of heading south. The truck itself clocks in at close to 10k, and I've put a lot of heavy towing miles on it as well. I'm guessing Ford Co is probably one of the more expensive routes, but I cant really gripe about the durability.

Its fine to save money, but in this case I'd do it by shopping around for the best price on the best ball joints, not just best price on "ok" ball joints. Changing them out is a pain in the ******** at best and something you want to do as little as possible. I'd save a bit longer if I had to to get the best.

Of course thats if you're keeping the truck long term. If not....

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Sometimes the replacement Ford joints are not the quality as the original parts, but if you know someone who can sell you the parts at cost +10% they are cheap.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I replaced both an E150 and E350 with MOOG problem solvers ball joints and tie rods. I cannot tell you if the rumors are true that MOOG has gone down hill. Both vehicles were straightforward. The feel of the MOOG parts was good I bought my from Amazon. Other peeps on the forum swear by MOOG. My buddy and I drank beer and barbequed burgers during our installation and as corny as it sounds, we said we were in a really good MOOG! My friend owns a large power supply company and said that Moog products are first rate even if they are made somewhere in Asia. I spent less than $500 for my E150 and the E350 was slightly more because he had to replace the steering knuckle in his van. These parts are heavy duty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles