6.0 Ford and Snorkel

Carlyle

Explorer
Any recommendations on snorkels for the 6.0 Ford? Will any of them work with an after market intake system?

Thanks

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Snorkel Conversion

Hi
I know that Safari Snorkels makes some of their snorkels for the full size Fords. http://www.safarisnorkel.com/docs/snorkel/ford.html
I just did a home made conversion of a snorkel for my Tahoe by mating one for a Toyota to a Volant CAI, subsequently sealing up the box for the Volant to force it to breathe only through the box.

I did a LOT of research on the net before doing my conversion, and found that Volant makes a retrofit snorkel kit for their Jeep CAI, which made them a natural then for my conversion. I had my engine PCM reconfigured by Black Bear Tuning to adjust for the variables in performance with the Snorkel. The Tahoe really takes off at 3000 RPMS, which speaks to the ram air effect a snorkel has....at least, that is what I think.

Anyway, I did a complete write up on how to do the conversion over at the first forum I ever joined for my truck. http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=14941

I imagine it could be possible for you to do something similar for your Ford. Good luck!

Carlyle

Explorer
Safari Snorkels are only made for the 7.3 Ford diesel like the others I've been finding so far. I would rather go with a bolt on model if at all possible.

I'd like to do Medano Pass in the Great Sand dunes next month and know that were going have a huge run off this year and would not want to worry about the creek crossings...

Cool rig btw.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
ARB only has them for the 7.3. There just isn't enough demand for the 6.0 to be developed.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I am not familiar with where the breather box is on a Ford, but it may be possible to convert the snorkel for your rig. And if the box is on the opposite side of the 7.3, shop around on the Safari Snorkel and TJM sites, and look for something that may be able to be made to fit.

Don't give up, I didn't, even if it was a lot of work to make the modifications I am quite happy with the results.

This article from Petersen's 4 Wheel and Off Road may be of assistance to you. They made one work for a Ranger.....

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/trail/131_0803_4x4_snorkel_tech/index.html

psychohawk

Observer
Being a fellow Ford 6.0 owner and feeling that nothing epitomizes an expedition vehicle more than a snorkel, I too have looked into this.

As mentioned, yes ARB does make a snorkel for the 7.3, not the 6.0. The good news is that the body lines will all match up and the snorkel will fit the truck ... the bad news is the driver's side battery is in the way!

I believe the battery can be worked around by the use of an after market air-intake system that lowers the battery's position; or, build a tray to lower the battery. Upon moving the battery out of the way and installing the snorkel, a little tube bending should finish the job.

It's a project, huh? That's why I haven't done it either but have worked it all out in my head! If you do this, let us know.

Thanks,
Carl

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks for the input and it gives me more food for thought. My problem is that I do not have a machine shop, or the expertise to use it, at my disposal. I just cringe at the thought of cutting into a side panel of my truck not knowing that the snorkel from a 7.3 would work 100%. On the upside I already have an after market intake system (AFE Stage 2), and the Optima batteries I put in a couple months ago are smaller than the OEM that came with the truck. BTW, would the 7.3 snorkel be large enough for the 6.0?

viter

Adventurer
well if the body lines on the outside match and the airbox is on the same side it should be pretty easy to use the 7.3L snorkel. You can use the template that will come with 7.3L snorkel to cut the hole in the sheetmetal and then just make your own ducting in the engine compartment with some large diameter flexible tubing from a hardware store. Seal all the junctions well with silicone and you are done!

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I think that a 7.3 snorkel would be just fine on a 6.0 engine. The snorkel I adapted for my 5.3 is actually for a 4.2L engine. I have seen this snorkel adapted for a 5.7L engine as well, so the 7.3 feeding a 6.0 should be more than adequeate.

You do not need a machine shop to do this mod. I just work out of my carport and did it for my Tahoe. You can get large diameter intake tubing the same size as what Safari uses from Pep Boys. Check out the aisle for the import tuners, and they have tubing of various colors for do - it - yourself CAI systems. That can get you routed over to your airbox, a LOT easier than bending steel tubing. Then, later if you like, you can get a custom exhaust shop to bend what you need.

If you are really nervous about running the snorkel ( I sure was !! ) you can set up the system before drilling any holes and then run the truck for a bit to see how it responds. This is what I did, I modified my CAI and mated it to the snorkel and then just laid it across the engine bay, all hooked up, and then ran the truck for about 20 minutes. No abnormal throttle response, no temp increase beyond or faster than normal, and no check engine lights. So, then I went ahead and cut away.

Trust me, I had nerves of jello the day I cut the steel on the fender, I think this is a normal reaction. End result sure was worth it IMHO.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
ujointclothing said:
ARB only has them for the 7.3. There just isn't enough demand for the 6.0 to be developed.

Exactly...

Remember that the 6.0 is NOT sold in Australia - only the 7.3. So the likelyhood of ARB or TJM ever developing a version for the 6.0 is almost zero.

Pete

Carlyle

Explorer
Okay, I'm convinced it can be done. Now I have to decide what snorkel to go with that was built for the 7.3 TJM or ARB. There is a marked price difference for us folk that have to buy retail.

First things first I need to locate and raise my differential breathing lines. Measure fifty times under the hood to see where I could rout the intake. Decide on the size needed etc.

Thanks for the input and I now have another summer project!

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Carl;
I have a TJM on my 7.3 Ford. I would suggest not getting a snorkel at all, but if you are determined to get one, then go with the TJM.

Here is a pic of the Safari/ARB:
snorkelpic-f250_snorkel_detail-sml.jpg

The Safari Ford 7.3 model has a weird molded one piece head that wraps along the roof, and in my, admittedly very biased, opinion is rather ugly.

snrkl_diagram.jpg

Here is the Airtec/TJM: It has a more traditional head design that would allow a prefilter to be attached if desired. In my opinion it is a little better looking than the goofy Safari design.

I only have experience with the TJM, but I would think that most of these comments would apply to both types:
Disadvantages:

1) The tube runs up the drivers side A pillar and restricts vision slightly, but is a real problem in a heavy snow fall. Driving in heavy wet snow means that the wiper piles snow and ice up against the A pillar tube until it becomes so bad that the wiper travel and vision are seriously restricted, meaning you have to pull over and brush and scoop the accumulated slush away.

2) The big diesels need a lot of air, and the snorkel definitely restricts the amount of air getting to the engine. The opening at the head of the snorkel is similar in size to the oem intake, but the long curved tube adds a lot of restriction, for this reason it is also quite noisy.

3) For some reason the sight of a snorkle on a large pickup provokes endless amounts of questions, comments and even rude jestures! This can be fun when you are in the mood but can get a bit tiresome if you are not.

Advantages:
I assume you know these already or you would not be planning on a snorkle.

1) Protection from water ingestion. I fitted mine for my trip around Oz, due to the number of unavoidable creek crossings that can vary in depth dramatically depending on the weather. However I learned a trick over there that seems to work well. Even when crossing creeks that are deeper than the height of your oem intake, a simple tarp can be used to form an air pocket and protect the intake.

2) Reduction of dust in intake. I don't think this makes much difference if you travel solo most of the time. I can only see an advantage when operating in extremely dusty conditions while following other traffic.

For what its worth, that is my snorkle sermon :)

Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles