Trailer Axle Confusion

Strider

Observer
Howdy,
I am going to build an off road camper trailer inspired by the UEV440 & T-Van type. Trying to determine what axles to get.
I will be towing with mainly 2008 FJ Cruiser so I want to use the same track width (63.2") and the same wheels/bolt pattern (6x5.5).
I have had two axle places tell me that pattern isn't made, & the track width either.
???

Got two quotes from others:
One about $76e with 3500 lb axle, Electric brakes, ez lube hubs, 2k lb double eye springs, 63.25 HF & 46"SC. HGR 104 hanger kit, AP122 hardware kit, Shock Mounts, and shocks.

$720 for #10 Torflex Tortion Axle w electric brakes, etc same as above-no springs...

The other quoted me $470 for 64" hub face to hub face, 10" hub, brakes, springs, u bolts, tie plate, upper shock mount, shocks, axle hanger kit.

Any advice on this?

What about tortion axles-any good? Seems like they will fail under overlanding use.

This is a bit frustrating. Any easier way to get the correct axle?

Thanks

Strider

Observer
I just found out about Timbren Axle-Less Suspension. Heavy Duty 3500lb. 4" lift.
$673 for the pair.
Seems like the way to go. No springs etc to worry about.

gwittman

Adventurer
Have you tried Redneck Trailer Supplies? I got an axle for my race car trailer there. They seem to be able to accommodate pretty much what you need at least they did for me.
I don't think they have a location in Arizona but the have a couple in CA. Fowler, CA should be the closest to AZ.
It looks like I was wrong. Mira Loma, CA is the closest to AZ.

Last edited:

Strider

Observer
Looked on trailer and redneck.

I think I will go with the Timbrens. They seem to be very well made and good for off road use, and are independent suspension.

Javelinadave

Adventurer
If you are in Phoenix Mr Trailer at Deer Valley Road and I-17 just did my M-416 trailer last week with a 56" wide, 3500 Lb axle W/ 6x5.5 hubs for $275ish installed. Yogi and Larry both know exactly what needs to be done and they do it right.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier