need 2500 Yukon advice

Jkenosh

Observer
I bought a 1500 Yukon xl to make into a expo truck but sold it because I was nervous about it holding up and thought I would be better to start with a 2500 are there any years I want to avoid buying? I was thinking in the 2000 to 2004 range. Are the 8.1 worth the extra money? I don't tow much over 5000 pounds

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
2500 frame is heavier along with the front IFS components for starters

the newer 1500's have a 4 link rear & IFS front (2000 to ?) whereas 1999 back had leaf rears

not too sure what you're planning on doing with it ?

my 1500 holds up fine for what I want it to do

the diesels have a bunch of issues that need to be dealt with if you're not careful

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I bought a 1500 Yukon xl to make into a expo truck but sold it because I was nervous about it holding up and thought I would be better to start with a 2500 are there any years I want to avoid buying? I was thinking in the 2000 to 2004 range. Are the 8.1 worth the extra money? I don't tow much over 5000 pounds

GM changed the electric internals during the transition from 2002 to 2003. There are some bugs that crop up with the 03 + models, mostly speedometer issues. Personally I think a 1500 series truck will handle most "overlanding" type of travel, I certainly have been happy with my own Tahoe, sorry you doubted your prior purchase. Look around some of the other GM-centric forums for information about engines, personally I think the 5.3 and 6.0 are great platforms and capable powerplants.

Jkenosh

Observer
The 1500 I bought hadn't been maintained as I would of liked transfer case fluid and both diff's had never been changed it looked like. Oil came out looking like mercury. I was also worried about the tranny.

1stDeuce

Explorer
To actually speak to your question, since you live in "flatland" and don't tow much, I think you'll be fine with the 6.0L unless you want to go racing. :) The 8.1 makes good power, but it also uses a more fuel, and is noted to have piston slap that annoys a lot of people. It's also known to use oil. Sometimes a LOT of oil. (Neither issue ever seems to lead to any failures though.)

I wouldn't be afraid of any of the years from '99-06. For that matter, a '96-99 version would be a good find too if it was in nice shape, though it'd be a 350 or a 6.5L diesel. The diesel isn't a bad engine if it's been treated well.

On the 99+ trucks, if the cluster has issues, it's a very cheap fix to get it updated via several services on ebay.

If you plan to keep it forever, try to find a more base truck. I HIGHLY recommend the manual HVAC if you can find it. The auto HVAC controls on the older trucks can get a little picky, and you can't just put the manual controller in... If you get really lucky, you'll find one that doesn't have the huge center console, and has floor shift 4x4, but I don't think they made many that way. :(

C

dfarm

Observer
We have a 2001 2500 suburban LT with a 6.0

I think the ¾tons are better suited to heavy use. They have bigger brakes, and leaf springs in the back, as well as a stronger transmission(4l80e). I feel that the heavier built trucks are going to hold up better with big tires and a rear end full of camping stuff.(just speculation on my part since I've never had a ½ ton rig, but all of the sususpension and brakes are much bigger than the ½ tons that I've worked on) I'd agree that you should look for a less optioned rig, as most of the annoying issues are from things like the power seats and Windows.

Ours seems to have plenty of power to get itself around, even on 35's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles