Can you drop some 1st gen Tundra knowledge on me?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Swap to the V6 gears and it takes care of the larger tire issue pretty cheaply. When I bought my truck it had a bent rear end and a bent rim. I got a whole rear end from a "pick-n-pull" for something like 100.00, cleaned and painted it, rebuilt the brakes, and swapped it in less than an hour. Pretty cheap way to get either 4.10 or 4.30 gears.

Oh yeah, you'll probably have to replace the drive shaft carrier bearing. It's pretty easy and doesn't cost much, but it causes some vibration on the HW when the rubber part goes bad.

I would have to find a 4x4 v6 if they even made those. Swap front and rear to 4.10. But I'll lose my current factory LSD which I don't think works but nice to know I have it lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

I would have to find a 4x4 v6 if they even made those. Swap front and rear to 4.10. But I'll lose my current factory LSD which I don't think works but nice to know I have it lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh, they made them... just few are far between. Most that I have seen were regular cab, long bed, and the most bottom of the line truck made. I found one and snatched the rear end not even thinking about the ratio, bolted it in, took it for a drive... and thought to myself "well damn, there goes my gas mileage..."

speedtre

Explorer
I have a line on an '05 DC with ~60k miles on it for $16k. Seems like an okay deal. Need to go check it out.

If I had a choice that wasn't dictated by circumstances I'd go with an Acc Cab as i think it was the perfect size truck...a full size bed but still not a BIG truck. The double cab is a big truck...longer, taller and wider. The only reason I got rid of ny AC was because we had kid number two, and two car seats did not fit very well behind the two front seats...one in the middle of the rear seat was fine and the kid could stretch out a bit.

Having said that I NEED 4 full doors, so if you don't pickup that double cab, send the info my way... :D

Last edited:

BrianTN

Adventurer
Overall I like my 2001 AC. When I bought it, I was moving from a Corvette and needed a truck. Theres enough power for most things, but obviously it's not a HD. I needed more power and bought a dedicated HD truck and have been toying with the idea of selling the Tundra. For whatever reason I am having a hard time letting it go. There haven't been many problems, and it does a lot of things well. My complaints would be the transmission (mine had to be rebuilt around 110000 miles), lots of rattles (nearly as bad as the Corvette, and before I changed tires to something more aggressive), and lack of aftermarket. Over the 9 or so years I've had it, I've definitely used it and most of it keeps working. Besides the transmission, I think the only things that have broken are the driver side door lock actuator and the rear window latches. The main reason I'm thinking of selling is to get an SUV, as I have another, and stronger, truck.

rexwang

Observer
i cant believe nobody has mentioned the dreaded "clunk." or is that because the cluck is mostly a 2wd thing?

anyhow, the leaf springs on these trucks is basically a glorified tacoma leaf pack and therefore they are a little weak and have more axle wrap than you want. the axle wrap is what causes the clunk but with 4wd's the slip yoke is grease-able, whereas the 2wd is not.

if you can find one, try to get a 4wd doublecab with a moon roof. to me, thats where the cheese is. also by chance if you are interested, if you go with the 40/60 front bench, you can seat 6 people WITH seatbelts.

D

Deleted member 9101

i cant believe nobody has mentioned the dreaded "clunk." or is that because the cluck is mostly a 2wd thing?

anyhow, the leaf springs on these trucks is basically a glorified tacoma leaf pack and therefore they are a little weak and have more axle wrap than you want. the axle wrap is what causes the clunk but with 4wd's the slip yoke is grease-able, whereas the 2wd is not.

By "clunk" do you mean that little knock when you leave a stop light sometimes, that is felt in the floor?

jim65wagon

I just looked through your short thread. The firewalls were lined up (correct?) and the sizes are so close. What is the difference in cab size, besides being a couple inches wider. That is the only other photo I would have loved to have seen.

That I do not know. When I took the photos I merely lined up the tires as the wheelbase is virtually the same. I'll check to see if the firewalls line up the same. I'll also try to provide you with interior cab width photos.

toyotech said:
I would have to find a 4x4 v6 if they even made those. Swap front and rear to 4.10
The 2004 Double Cab Tundra came with 4.10 gears also.

speedtre said:
The only reason I got rid of ny AC was because we had kid number two, and two car seats did not fit very well behind the two front seats...

We picked up our Access Cab just after our two kids went to forward facing car seats. They pretty much grew up riding around in the back seat of the Tundra. It only got problematic after they became teenagers. They lived with it because it was all they had, now of course they would rather ride in the Tacoma since that back seat has a bit more room.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I forgot about the clunk. Though mine didn't feel driveline related. I would get a clunk around corners. I checked everything, everything and could never figure out what it was. The guys at the shop couldn't either. 01 Tundra. Didn't bother me enough to worry though. Would get another one in a heartbeat. Once our Jeep dies, there will be a 07 or 08 in our driveway.

-jorge

jim65wagon

Clunk on mine its from the rear of the driveshaft. Keep the slip joint greased and no clunk. Don't grease it for 10,000 miles and it will go clunk

they hate us cause they ain't us

tyv12

Adventurer
As far as gears, 1 gen sequoia are 4.10s and swap straight across as far as I know, not that that's a big concern when looking at vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viggen

Just here...
^ true. And manual v6 tundras have 4.30s but good luck finding them

Are there no gearing sources? I was messing around and saw that the 4AT trucks have an option for a Marlin box but not the 5AT trucks. Are the axles different than what is available in some other, more 'popular' Toyota model (4Runner or Tacoma)?

D

Deleted member 9101

Clunk on mine its from the rear of the driveshaft. Keep the slip joint greased and no clunk. Don't grease it for 10,000 miles and it will go clunk

they hate us cause they ain't us

I am guessing yours a 4x4?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

if you can find one, try to get a 4wd doublecab with a moon roof. to me, thats where the cheese is. also by chance if you are interested, if you go with the 40/60 front bench, you can seat 6 people WITH seatbelts.

Tundras do not use a slip yoke. A slip yoke is where you can't take the U joint out of the t case. That is what slips allowing the drive shaft to move during articulation. Tundras use fixed yoke. The drive shaft is what actually "slips" Or moves to allow articulation.

Edit. I forgot that tundras use two drive shafts in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
Are there no gearing sources? I was messing around and saw that the 4AT trucks have an option for a Marlin box but not the 5AT trucks. Are the axles different than what is available in some other, more 'popular' Toyota model (4Runner or Tacoma)?

Front diffs from a '95-03 Tacoma, 00-06 Tundra, 00-07 Sequoia and 96-02 4Runners will bolt right in. If it's a vacuum actuated diff, you can remove 4 bolts and swap your electronic actuator. Rear diffs from T100s, first gen Tundras, first gen Sequoias, and first gen Tacomas W/O e-locker will bolt right in. Those used diffs can be found with 3.91s, 4.10s or 4.30s. I personally had a bad and time consuming experience purchasing and swapping in used differentials for a less expensive gear change. You can purchase 4.56, 4.88, and 5.29 gears from Nitro, Yukon, and probably some others- but Nitro stands out as the best. Justdifferentials.com is a good spot to purchase these.

I am not totally sure about transfer case gearing. I'd consult Dyogim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94