New rig craigs list score

Aquafbody

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm kinda wondering how you came to the “clearly Dana 44's all day long” notion as mentioned in post 10
histerical.gif

Because "clearly" I can't tell a D44 from a hole in the ground.:oops:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
John,

I got your pictures. Looks like your K5 has a Corp 12 bolt in the rear and Corp 10 bolt in the front. The 12 bolt rear is not a bad axle and much better than the later 10 bolt rear axle that replaced it in later years. The front 10 bolt is supposed to be equal to a Dana 44 but I've always favored the Dana 44 over the 10 bolt. The axle outters (hubs, spindles, bearings, etc.) are the same between the front D44 and Corp 10 bolt. Depending on what your plans are with this truck these axles are okay if you keep tire size no larger than 33"

View attachment 272705View attachment 272706

Yep it's a 10 bolt. The two ears are a dead give away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I used to get around 14 mpg out of my 460 5 speed combo ('96 F250 ex-cab short box) basically idling everywhere, but I think 17 mpg out of a carb 454 and granny low 4 speed is some serious wishful thinking. It may have gotten 17 mpg (once, while coasting down a 5 mile long 10% grade!) but I'd bet you'll be more in the 12 or less region.

I once had a 305 4 speed combo in an identical Blazer and I loved it. If I drove it sanely I could see mid teens. They really are a great platform. Keep your eyes open for the 4Wheel camper made especially for K5s. They are cool!

A granny gear 4 speed is irrelevant to top end and mpg as the 4th gear is a direct gear as with any 4 speed.

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
A granny gear 4 speed is irrelevant to top end and mpg as the 4th gear is a direct gear as with any 4 speed.

huh? the gear ratio in the rear differential has some influence in this. Consider this, with the granny gear, you can run 3.73 gears in the axles and still have plenty of umph to get off the line - and still be at the same rpm as if you had 5 speeds, 20% overdrive and 4.11s.

If you're really clever, you can put a blackbox in front of your transfer case and 3.23 gears in the rear end - then you have the perfect range for pretty much everything... and no uber-heavy, uber-expensive NV4500

forest522

Congrats on the purchase. I love these rigs. They are very capable, super easy to work on and most parts and upgrades are reasonably priced. Been trying to find a rear tire carrier like that...would love to find one of those!!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
huh? the gear ratio in the rear differential has some influence in this. Consider this, with the granny gear, you can run 3.73 gears in the axles and still have plenty of umph to get off the line - and still be at the same rpm as if you had 5 speeds, 20% overdrive and 4.11s.

If you're really clever, you can put a blackbox in front of your transfer case and 3.23 gears in the rear end - then you have the perfect range for pretty much everything... and no uber-heavy, uber-expensive NV4500

You're missing my point :). People have it in there head that having a 4 speed with a granny gear changes too end. It doesn't. The axle ratio is a whole other factor that I did not bring up as that was not mentioned in the post i quoted. Just as people constantly asked me when I installed crawler gears on my Unimog if the top it changed. It has zero change on it as its a low gear and 6th gear was still 1:1.

Aquafbody

Adventurer
Hooked it up to the trailer for the first time today and it pulls it like a dream, half the time I didn't even notice a difference.:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94