New rig craigs list score

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Need better pics than that not so close :). Try the rear axle. Clean the snow off a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, those pictures aren’t any help at all. The front kinda looks like it could be a D44 but the rear should be a 10 bolt or possibly a 12 bolt. By model year it should have 10 bolts front and rear. Definitely won’t be a D44 in the rear unless the PO did all kinds of crazy playing swaperoo.

Aquafbody

Adventurer
This front diff is on my buddies 86 I can't get a good pic of mine with the dual steering stablizerz in the way but his is identical to mine

My rear

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
PO say it gets 17mpg I don't know how he would figure that out with the fuel gauge always reading 1/4 and no odometer.

I used to get around 14 mpg out of my 460 5 speed combo ('96 F250 ex-cab short box) basically idling everywhere, but I think 17 mpg out of a carb 454 and granny low 4 speed is some serious wishful thinking. It may have gotten 17 mpg (once, while coasting down a 5 mile long 10% grade!) but I'd bet you'll be more in the 12 or less region.

I once had a 305 4 speed combo in an identical Blazer and I loved it. If I drove it sanely I could see mid teens. They really are a great platform. Keep your eyes open for the 4Wheel camper made especially for K5s. They are cool!

Aquafbody

Adventurer
I used to get around 14 mpg out of my 460 5 speed combo ('96 F250 ex-cab short box) basically idling everywhere, but I think 17 mpg out of a carb 454 and granny low 4 speed is some serious wishful thinking. It may have gotten 17 mpg (once, while coasting down a 5 mile long 10% grade!) but I'd bet you'll be more in the 12 or less region.

I once had a 305 4 speed combo in an identical Blazer and I loved it. If I drove it sanely I could see mid teens. They really are a great platform. Keep your eyes open for the 4Wheel camper made especially for K5s. They are cool!

I saw one on CL here once on a diesel. I thought long and hard about buying it but I ended up getting my 85 4Runner.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
John,

I got your pictures. Looks like your K5 has a Corp 12 bolt in the rear and Corp 10 bolt in the front. The 12 bolt rear is not a bad axle and much better than the later 10 bolt rear axle that replaced it in later years. The front 10 bolt is supposed to be equal to a Dana 44 but I've always favored the Dana 44 over the 10 bolt. The axle outters (hubs, spindles, bearings, etc.) are the same between the front D44 and Corp 10 bolt. Depending on what your plans are with this truck these axles are okay if you keep tire size no larger than 33"

Corp 12 bolt.jpgCorp 10 bolt front.jpg

Aquafbody

Adventurer
Thanks for posting those for me Larry. But are you sure it'a a 10 up front, there is a fill plug obscured from view by that bar in the pic I thought 44's had fill plugs and 10's didn't?

Aquafbody

Adventurer
And in answer to your question, my plans for this thing is to be a light hunting/wheelin (7 and lower) and most importantly to tow my 12' trailer to the hunting spot.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks for posting those for me Larry. But are you sure it'a a 10 up front, there is a fill plug obscured from view by that bar in the pic I thought 44's had fill plugs and 10's didn't?

The pictures you send me are 100% Corporate 10 bolt up front. Dana 44's do not have the ears at the bottom of the carrier housing. The fill plug is a moot point. They both have fill plugs in the cover

This is a Dana 44. Notice there are no ears at the bottom of the carrier. The D44 cover is more triangle shaped while the Corporate 10 bolt is pretty round.
8065055498_b708bf6904.jpg

Dana 44 cover
Dana44b_sm.jpg

Corporate 10 bolt front cover
85Front_sm.jpg

12 bolt rear cover
12TCover_sm.jpg

10 bolt rear cover
GM85_sm.jpg

Last edited:

Aquafbody

Adventurer
The pictures you send me are 100% Corporate 10 bolt up front. Dana 44's do not have the ears at the bottom of the carrier housing. The fill plug is a moot point. They both have fill plugs in the cover

Well damn Larry, I was hoping I had 44's. Are 10's and 12's harder to find lockers for?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Well damn Larry, I was hoping I had 44's. Are 10's and 12's harder to find lockers for?

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering how you came to the “clearly Dana 44's all day long” notion as mentioned in post 10
histerical.gif

I don’t really know cost or availability for lockers for those axles as I’ve thrown those away in the past and swapped in something else. My ’89 Burb had a front 10 bolt but I replaced it with a D44 because I had a good one lying around with a better gear ratio. My K10 came to me with a 12 bolt rear but I swapped that out for a 14 bolt full floater back in 1996 about a week after I had it because the 12 bolt was howling.

Go peruse Randy’s Ring and Pinion for parts and availability. That is where I purchased gears and lockers in the past. Decent prices and outstanding service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior