New rig craigs list score

Aquafbody

Adventurer
So I love my 85 4Runner but the time has come that I need a bigger rig. My trusty rusty Toyota has always been there for me but I need something a little more powerful than a 116 hp 4 banger to tow my atv trailer when I go hunting. So check out my CL score.
It's an 1981 K5. It has a 4 speed Saginaw transmission with granny low. It was a 350 when it was new but PO bought it with a 454 in it!! Yup that's right 454 baby. The motor has about 15,000 miles sense it was rebuilt by Western engine in Denver. It runs like a top but it's time for a tuneup. The tires are at about 70% and nice after market rims. I know it's not the best looking vehicle out there but it's far from the worst. The interior is about 70-75% as far as looks. Now there is the normal cancer spots on it like every old Blazer out there.
Upgrades to come.:smokin:
1. LIFT IT!!!
2. 35's
3. big ugly bumper and winch "already have from brothers old suburban"
00i0i_hNKbdV3ZLtv_600x450.jpg

00p0p_DqdcQ41RcS_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_6OWw9CEdwKp_600x450.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
Neat score, but since you've said granny low - I suspect you have a SM435 or SM465, either of which are light-years better than a crappy saginaw (which they didn't make for 4 wheel drives, stock).

solid rig, 454, sm 435 - pass everything but gas stations (mpg is gonna hurt, sorry).

you'll also get to run around topless in the summer, which is a major bonus with those trucks.

406expo

Adventurer
Great little rig! I've got an 84 blazer with the diesel and a th400 I couldn't be happier with it. But I'm sure that 454 will purchase down some power. What's that beast geared in? Mine was stock 308's but we re geared in 410. Much better in four wheel now especially when off road or plowing.

406expo

Adventurer
On the topless thought, if you pull the top have a replacement seal ready to throw in. Once we broke the seal it never fit quite right back. Ours was an old military version so who knows it it had Bern off ever before.

The beauty of those old rigs is there tough, simple and cheap. We get everything cheap and in stock, even our heavy duty custom springs were super cheap. I really enjoy the look of that body style too, great score

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
454, granny low, 35's = axle breaker. Better start looking around for a 14 bolt, a D60 and some 8-lug rims. :)

Also better figure on reinforcing the frame where the steering box mounts.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice Score aquafbody! Craigslist is addictive. You don’t see K5’s with factory SM465’s very often especially with transplanted big blocks in what looks to be a clean unmolested body. I think I remember seeing that on on CL Denver or COS if I’m not mistaking. Never been a fan of 1981 and 1982 grills but they are easy enough to change. I think 83-84 are my favorite grills followed by 89-91. It’s easy enough to do an axle swap now that the PO already bolted in a power house and in all reality, you don’t need a front D60. A 14 bolt full-floating rear axle and 8 lug rotors on your existing front Corporate 10 bolt axle (providing they would be the same gear ratio) would be plenty fine. I’ve seen people that actually know how to drive never break a single D30, D44 or Corporate 10 bolt front axle component behind high power engines while idiots with less than sterling driving skills explode D60 axles with worn out little small blocks running tiny tires. Don’t get caught up in the idea that everybody needs a front D60.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Holt moly a rig like that with a 454?:Wow1:COOL! Can I ask how much you payed for that fine old beast? You make me jealous!:drool:

Aquafbody

Adventurer
It's sittin on Dana 44's, I'm not sure what gears. Internet says 4.10's but internet also says Gm 10 bolt. They are clearly Dana 44's all day long. It's got an LSD but does anyone know if it's a Detroit or an Eaton? It cost me $2400 and I forgot to mention PO put in a dual battery setup in it.

And you are correct Larry it's been on CL for a long time.

Long term plans are for it to be my hunting/tow/wheelin rig. I really want to do an EFI setup on it PO say it gets 17mpg I don't know how he would figure that out with the fuel gauge always reading 1/4 and no odometer. I'll post engine and inside pics asap.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
It's sittin on Dana 44's, I'm not sure what gears. Internet says 4.10's but internet also says Gm 10 bolt. They are clearly Dana 44's all day long. It's got an LSD but does anyone know if it's a Detroit or an Eaton? It cost me $2400 and I forgot to mention PO put in a dual battery setup in it.

And you are correct Larry it's been on CL for a long time.

Long term plans are for it to be my hunting/tow/wheelin rig. I really want to do an EFI setup on it PO say it gets 17mpg I don't know how he would figure that out with the fuel gauge always reading 1/4 and no odometer. I'll post engine and inside pics asap.

If it's a stock 81, it will be 10 bolts. Maybe take a picture and post it. You gotta look at the actual lsd to see what brand it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke