Looking for 33s, what are you running?

JBThompson

Adventurer
I plan to keep the stock rims on my 94 Montero SR, probably won't do a lift right away so I've been looking at 10.5" tires in either 31" or 33". I really would prefer 33"s but all I've had luck finding in a 33x10.5x15 are BFG T/As and General Grabbers. If I go with 31" tires there seems to be a ton more options, and if I move up to 12.5"s then there are way more options as well. I'm just wondering, are there other options I'm not finding? This is my daily so I don't want anything too crazy but I do need something that performs well in midwest weather as well as pretty much any terrain within a stock SR's limitations.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
33x10.50 is not a tremendously popular size these days, despite being a great fit. Unless you're set on an MT, the Generals are great tires.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

JordanM/S

Off Road Enthusiast
Whats wrong with a 32? Well the fact that I can't seem to find 32's that will fit anymore. Seems to be only 31's or 33's out there unless you find the old bfg mt's they still make 32's for Jeeps I think. When you find a 33 post up pics, I'm running 31' Duratracs now and plan on upgrading to 33's when these go bad.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Your problem is that you are shopping for tires to fit a 15" wheel. Go to 16" or 17" wheel and watch the availability selection expand exponentially.

1morebike

Adventurer
I'm 31x10.5 cooper at3's and could not be happier. I would run those in the midwest. When was in the Midwest I ran the 255x85x16 cooper st on my land cruiser and they were not bad in the snow but these at3's have a lot better road manners .

Eric M

Adventurer
I was considering 255/85R16 Cooper S/Ts, but couldn't find wheels that fit. If you can find Land Cruiser 80 series wheels, I believe those will bolt up.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
33x10.5x15 BFG KM2's are the bomb, if you want a meaty tire without a lot of weight or performance impact:

IMG_6845-X3.jpg

Rattlesnake-2014-29-X3.jpg

IMG_4562-X3.jpg

I think the 33x12x15 are too wide, in my opinion:
Cleghorn_2014-09-X3.jpg

JordanM/S

Off Road Enthusiast
They are, until you get into snow. I would take my Duratracs over the bfgs any day in snow and wet conditions; however, I would take bfgs in rocks or any dry environment(they are designed more for rock crawling I believe). There are pros and cons to all sadly :/ I wish there was one tire that had the best qualities and none of the worst, but that will never happen. :(

It all depends on the driving conditions, The Duratracs did great up on the mountains of the PNW in the snows, but did poorly on dry ground and rocks in my opinion. They are Snowflake rated... so it makes sense lol

I'm looking into Toyos, but they are just so darn expensive. I have heard great things about them, except that they are really heavy. I would like to try them out for myself.

Then again, knowing that they are HEAVY and the fact that even now my little 3.5L V6 is struggling to get me 200 miles to the 19 gal. tank with just 31" Duratrac AT tires on it makes me rethink things.

I plan on moving up to 33" tires after my Duratracs crap out. This is making me keep a watchful eye on the Cooper Discovery AT3's to save on weight and gas. Apparently Expedition Portal loves these tires and recommend them.

Last edited:

JBThompson

Adventurer
I can get a discount on the BFGs through my work but I've heard mixed reviews regarding their A/T tires in the snow. Seems we might be able to get a discount on Cooper as well but I'm not entirely sure. I know our distributor sells them so I'll look into it. Speaking of Cooper, I understand they make the Mastercraft line and the Courser MT looks interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior