New Leer truck canopy "lockbox" option

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Thought I would share this cool option I just noticed is available from Leer Truck caps.

gunbox.jpg

Locking Overhead Storage Bin

The LEER locking overhead storage bin is a key component of the LEER/Browning Special Edition, but is also available as an option in virtually any LEER Cap. It provides a secure, locking space mounted to the cap ceiling, out of the way and out of the line of sight, for valuables that you take along hunting - or anywhere!

The size of the storage bin varies, based on the size of the cap; check with your LEER Dealer on the details.

Available for most LEER Truck Caps - box is impractical in some extra-short bed trucks.

Sure would be nice to retrofit something like this to an existing canopy!

Pete

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I like it. There are certainly some interesting ideas coming out in truck caps (shells) these days.

I am still waiting for some enterprising company to introduce a cab-high pop-up shell. No, not a full tent like a Wildernest or a Flip-Pac, just something you can pop up to get an extra foot or so of headroom and then drop back down when you don't need it. Seems to me such a shell could be made for quite a bit less than a Wildernest or a Flip Pac (I think Flip Pac's start around $3500!) Plus you wouldn't need all the structural material to keep the tent up, just a mechanism to lift and hold the top, kid of like the pop-tops on the VW campers.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't know about putting valuables in there. If somebody knew what was there, they just have to saw through the roof to get it.

Handy storage space, but I wouldn't put valuables up there.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Cool option.

mountainpete said:
Thought I would share this cool option I just noticed is available from Leer Truck caps.

Pete,
I had seen that option when purchasing my Leer but never put much thought into it at that time. Those were the days before the influence of ExPo...:safari-rig:

StromHawk60

Observer
I have this and love it - late reply

:victory:

Great for storing shotguns, broken-down fly rods, and kayak paddles. These boxes are really great and I highly recommennd to anyone considering this top.

During hunting season, this is where my shotgun and muzzleloader stay. Folks don't even realize these boxes are there.

CliftonSmith

Observer
I was planning to get one of this storage for my truck but i just have no time looking for one. :D I think this is a perfect secret storage for valuables during camping.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I have this option on my shell but I ended up taking it out. It's screwed into the top of the shell with self tapping security screws. I didn't personally feel that it was very secure, but that it was a great place for keeping things out of sight, most people look down into the back of a pickup bed to see what's in there. It is very difficult to see from the outside due to the window tint that comes on the shell. For my needs (sleeping in the back of the truck), it was a definite eye opener in the mornings if I sat up without thinking, I always gave my wife the side without the box. The door opens towards the center of the shell, which meant that you had to climb up into the bed almost any time you needed to put something in or take something out. You may be able to rotate it so that the door faces the windoor, I just realized I wasn't using it enough to justify the lost head room.

Louisd75

Adventurer
If you were on the opposite coast, I would make you an offer on the lockbox... If your ever in VA....

I'm not sure it's a straight across swap into a shell that didn't have the option. There are additional supports in the ceiling of the shell that the box screws into. I'm sure there's a way to retrofit, but I don't think it'd be a straight bolt in if your shell is lacking the supports. I'll try and get a picture when I'm off watch after midnight to better explain.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I'm not sure it's a straight across swap into a shell that didn't have the option. There are additional supports in the ceiling of the shell that the box screws into. I'm sure there's a way to retrofit, but I don't think it'd be a straight bolt in if your shell is lacking the supports. I'll try and get a picture when I'm off watch after midnight to better explain.

Well, work has been a bit screwy. I apologize for taking so long to get a picture up, but here's what the supports look like. It's basically just a wooden frame that's either molded within the fiberglass or bonded to the fiberglass. The small black plastic nubs are covers that hide the nuts used to hold the roof rack tracks on. The quick-fist clamps holding the shovel up are secured with regular ol' wood screws:

DSCN4625.jpg

Hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles